Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline STALIN BRANDO'S RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 PREDICTIONS - THE WHITE MAN HATES HIM!

B0rt

Novice
So it keeps the desert biomes and adds prairie/plains, rocky mts. and some bayou stuff ?

Why is this a problem? insane cavalry battles on the plains, bloody shootouts in snowy mountain shacks, that's also classic western shit...

I bet there's a PC version and it's markedly better than the consoles, probably released about four years after the playstation launch. I'll still buy it for the "Ravenous" Halloween DLC.

B0rt

Novice
keeps the desert biomes

Sure, the same way the Americans kept Hiroshima.

You mean how the Americans kept Hiroshima more or less the same but added a whole bunch onto the city? How does taking a map with desert in it and then adding additional areas outside of the desert hurt the desert?

FWIW desert is really only one component of the Western genre -- Deadwood was in the Dakotas and that town was about as wild west as they come.

B0rt

Novice
GTA V is very good, but certainly not for all tastes. If you're arguing that it's technically *bad* then I'd argue that you're being obtuse, unless you're talking about GTAO networking/social issues in which case then dear sweet lord yes it's shit.

I can understand if someone's personal preferences makes 'em want a game to take place entirely in a desert or something, so long as they admit it's not really fair criticism of the game's aesthetics per se -- if there were some major thematic betrayal to the western genre by adding biomes outside of the desert, or some horrible gameplay tuning decision revealed here, then we should be worried, but as far as I can tell this is a *good* thing.

Examples of good westerrrrns outside of the (admittedly awesome) desert setting:

Little Big Man (1970) -- The battle of Little Bighorn didn't take place in the desert... but it sure was a hell of a thing.

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) -- Multiple biomes, isn't that nice? Deep South --> Texas etc. Hardly incompatible with RD* style.

Pale Rider (1985) -- Mountains and snow work too.

Lonesome Dove (1985/1989) -- Case example of a Western epic, plains biome

Ravenous (1999) -- Western horror is beautiful and right. Sierra Nevada(?) this time, between the Spanish-American War and Civil War. For a more recent example, try Bone Tomahawk (that's desert! Malibu! rejoice!)

Deadwood (2004) -- "Life is essentially a series of miserable tasks."

That's off the cuff, could go on. Also this seems to be becoming a thread to suggest kickass westerns so please gimme suggestions -- in deference to desert settings I'll go first:

The Quick and the Dead (1995) -- Sharon Stone is miscast as a gunslinger femme fatale -- shoulda gone with someone more spry and less pretty there -- but this is still a juxtaposition of the western showdown w/ Street Fighter (the game)... Gene Hackman chews scenery, Leo DiCaprio gets gutshot, and I'll bet dollars to donuts you've got worse thing to do with your time than watch Sam Raimi be naughty. Super fun movie if you've missed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom