Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Faction Guerrilla Remastered

Master

Arbiter
So, no topic for this yet? Out of these "fuck around" type-o-games like GTAs, MGS5, TW3, CP2077 and so on, RFG was the only one where you could drive a truck through a goddamn building, which is what these type of games make me wanna do anyway. So, a win win.
It also had jetpacks before they were all the rage, like recently in Elex and Remedy's Control.
Now this remaster is supposed to turn up the gfx and everything, but from the trailer it looks pretty much the same... Which isnt bad as the game still looks good. Maybe they'll fix the framerate.
:greatjob:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I liked fucking around in this game a lot, but most of the more structured stuff annoyed me. Sure there were good missions like stealing the mech, but a lot of them were frustrating shit with protecting colonists or shooting through a linear area and driving back to base. Not sure what the "remaster" will be on PC since you can run it well on Steam already, but assuming they don't change gameplay at all I doubt it'll be a big deal to me.

deuxhero

Arcane
Some of the missions were bland, but a lot of them did reward clever thinking like coming in from under the enemy. I recall there was one mission where I had to defeat a wave of tanks. I recall that, after a few failures using explosives, I opted to use a weapon that kills crew without hurting the vehicle and used it to steal a tank.

Big No

Novice
I hope the environment actually respawns over time in this one. That was a major flaw for me in the original Guerrilla. They sell the game on being able to destroy your surroundings yet had the ingenious idea of making everything spawn only once unless you cleared the sector. Getting the time trial pro times were a pain in the ass because the bridges in the Badlands and FFZ got wrecked.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Released: https://af.gog.com/game/red_faction_guerrilla_remarstered?as=1649904300

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/07/03/wot-i-think-red-faction-guerrilla-re-mars-tered/

Wot I Think: Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered

rfg00.jpg

T’was 2009 that Red Faction Guerrilla first appeared, an astoundingly ballsy and destructive Martian open world game before everything was open world games. And goodness gracious, it was fantastic. You played as a freedom fighter for the Red Faction, rebelling against the terrible authoritarian energy company EDF, who control the populations of Mars. And your tasks primarily involve knocking things over.

The original version was reviewed by someone called “Kieron Gillen”, and as he semi-comprehensibly pointed out at the time, it was the first time Volition’s Red Faction series had realised its own ambitions. “This is a game which understands that the key point of Red Faction was blowing things the fuck up and just spends as much time trying to turn blowing stuff the fuck up into actual game.” It’s hard to argue against it.

rfg02.jpg

So what is the fist-chewingly horribly named “Re-Mars-tered”, then? It’s an update, a refresh on the original, designed to run slickly and widely on your modern PC. And good, because it turns out it’s just what we needed.

I often feel sorry for those who make updates to older games, what with our habit of upgrading our memories over time. So, yup, Red Faction Guerrilla ReMarstered (FRGR) looks like it does when I remember it! Which is to say, a dated-looking-but-nice-enough presentation, running in 3440×1440 at 120FPS, still featuring unsurpassed destruction and explosions.

rfg04.jpg

In 2009 RFG felt incredibly political. Western forces were still occupying an ever more tumultuous and unstable Iraq, six years after Bush’s disastrous “mission accomplished” statement, a situation busily birthing what would five years later become ISIS. And here was a game in which you played the terrorist, charged with overthrowing the occupying forces, beginning with the most primitive equipment against their elaborate forces. You, Alec Mason, accidentally find yourself spearheading the Red Faction’s pushback, after the death of your brother at the hands of the EDF, and you start off holding just a hammer.

But what a hammer. With it Mason smashes down many a building, reducing enemy camps to rubble, and gathering the scrap that results for his chums at home base to recycle into new weapons and tools. Quickly the arsenal grows, including trad guns nabbed from enemies, flingable mines to detonate en mass for maximum destruction, and eventually nano-based weapons that rapidly reduce structures, vehicles and bodies to a golden mulch.

rfg15.jpg

And after a couple of tightly scripted missions, you’re set free into the huge playground of Mars, a map scattered with dozens of icons representing destruction challenges, hostage rescues, rocket firing rampages, and scripted events that progress the story. Which is to say, a game that feels an awful lot like everything Ubisoft makes these days, before it was everything Ubisoft made.

It was still of its time, of course – Far Cry 2 came out the year before, and it was clearly a direction in which things were heading. But Volition understood the format to an exquisite degree, influenced by their own experience with 2008’s Saints Row 2, and made the whole shtick feel as un-obnoxious as it’s ever been.

rfg06.jpg

Of course, it wasn’t a perfect game. The three big issues were the ridiculously slippy vehicle controls, the imbalanced difficulty, and the dullness of the third-person shooting that interferes far too often. And, well, it’s still that game.

The upgrade work on RFGR is focused on graphics, and they’ve done a splendid job there. While it certainly looks dated, it doesn’t look nearly a decade old, and with the ludicrous fun on offer I almost immediately stopped noticing the brown-brown-brown fidelity and just started enjoying the destruction. And the pretty sunlight. They’ve clearly done lots with the lighting, and it really pays off, shining prettily on its angular landscapes.

rfg08.jpg

But those cars are still so, so bouncy. (Yes, it’s Mars, but still.) And the gun battles are still so mediocre. And the difficulty still ramps up in ludicrous spikes. The latter is filed under what we Gaming Scientists call Just Cause Syndrome, where it escalates the enemy response far, far too high in response to your carrying out requested tasks. Even on what the game calls “Casual” difficulty, you’ll still on occasion find yourself being shot at by dozens of soldiers, heavily armoured tanks, and flying monstrosities raining down blue blasts.

And yet all of it is forgiven because of that extraordinary destruction. Smashing buildings with a hammer still feels impossibly detailed, as piece by piece you fracture walls and load-bearing pillars, until eventually the whole thing comes crashing down in spectacular fashion. Then add in all the various ways to blow shit up using its excellent array of non-gun weapons, and there’s all the fun to be had here. And the game knows it. It sets you these hilariously unjustifiable tasks to take down buildings using specifically limited supplies, and doesn’t even pretend at a narrative reason – it just knows it’s fun, so it sets you up all these chances to do it.

The result is that, yes, Red Faction Guerrilla is still a brilliant fun time, and still has all the same flaws as before, but now runs all pretty on your big screen. Which is enough! I’m delighted! Times have changed enough that the political charge is gone out of it, but it’s likely it was never really meant to be there in the first place.

I’ve had such a blast playing it all over again, and desperately wish Volition would announce a new entry in the series that – unlike the follow-up Armageddon – is also set outside in a big open world.

Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered is out today for Windows. It’s a free update for people who already owned it on Steam or costs £15/€20/$20 new there, and it’s half-price on GOG right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So it runs in 1440p, which it probably did already, annnnnnnd... what? Not that it matters much I guess since it's free, but still some actual info would be nice. Not that these guys really pay attention enough to that stuff to know.

I tried it for a bit. Looks exactly the same, cannot notice any graphical improvements whatsoever. Menu doesn't even have an AA option. Although it's really easy to run it downsampling from 4K + FXAA nowadays so not a big deal there. And there's in an FOV option now so no need to use a mod for it anymore. Still the same game that bores the shit ouf of me after an hour and will probably never finish.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
There was a AA option AFAIK. You pres PageDown for advanced options. Maybe it was only on Nvidia.

Big No

Novice

So the graphical upgrade is really minuscule. So small you wonder why they bothered remastering at all.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
On their steam page

• Fully reworked graphics – Heavily reworked textures and graphic features adding for example specular maps.
  • Improved shadow rendering
  • Improved Lighting
  • Shader & Postprocessing rework
  • Native 4k support for the finest up to date mars destruction experience ever

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm sure the main goal here was a modern console version, and everything else is marketing B.S. It was free though so who cares, not worth complaining about.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
And even if it wasn't free, it's 20$. Who cares. The textures (or at least the anti anisotropy) look considerably better to me.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
:necro:

Finally got to play this after getting a new gaming laptop. The best feature they added is the "Shoulder Switch" button. Everything else is icing on the cake.

The remastered graphics (notably the textures) do look more crisp and stand out more. I remember my last playthrough of vanilla RFG being on 1280x960 at the highest settings, and the textures and particle effects were still quite blurry.

IMO this is one of the best open-world popamole games around. Multiple ways to complete a mission is pure :incline:.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just finished it on Hard, 20 hours in. I thought I took longer than that.

It has held up surprisingly well, even though I really cannot into open world games with GTA mechanics nowadays. However RFG manages to hit the right notes (apart from some annoying side missions). It has that "Freespace" feel, in that fights feel dynamic and rarely the same even when you've played through it multiple times, especially towards the end when enemies get access to the singularity bomb while you have the thermobaric launcher. The NPC chatter is also fun and makes you feel like you're not alone; friendly AI is a useful tool, even if not fully competent.

It's also unlikely Volition will ever create something like that again. While I enjoyed Saints Row 3 and 4, I think it was a shame that Volition did not attempt to replicate the same degree of open-endedness to completing objectives that RFG had. Maybe the team as a whole didn't even know what made RFG and Freespace so good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom