Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Released: Grim Fandango remake... for PS4, Vita and PC.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Again there is nothing wrong with the original game: it still plays great, it still looks great, it still sounds great, it still runs great, there is even a fan-made mod that let's you play it like a point and click adventure game. Of course the original doesn't work on consoles...

Look at those massive improvements:

grim3jsa1.png

:roll:

And yes I disprove of shitty and pointless cash-grab rereleases of my favorite movies, especially when they're "remastered" by scummy companies.

In before it turns out that the rerelease has terrible mouse controls, shitty framerate etc.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
That shadow on Manny doesn't match up with the light hitting the floor. Also the new icons are crappy.
:mrfussy:

Athelas

Arcane
Again there is nothing wrong with the original game: it still plays great, it still looks great, it still sounds great, it still runs great, there is even a fan-made mod that let's you play it like a point and click adventure game.
You can't praise a mod for doing something and then complain about a re-release of a game doing the same. Nobody is forcing you to buy it after all.

Was that supposed me to convince me of the dubious quality of this remaster? It looks great without messing with the original art.

And yes I disprove of shitty and pointless cash-grab rereleases of my favorite movies, especially when they're "remastered" by scummy companies.
If your argument is 'I don't want Double Fine to get lots of money for relatively little effort', that's perfectly fine, but that's an argument of a different nature. However, it's not pointless because the game is not readily available anywhere/not functional without mods and the graphics have been changed (whether they're to your liking is another story).

pippin

While Star Wars shouldn't be taken as a serious example of movie remastering, this probably has something to do with IP usage and other law babble. On the other hand, it's no mystery that Tim is a console faggot, and a general faggot now that we're at it. I don't really mind this re release, though. My original cds died a long time ago.

Concerning PoE's electric boogalloo edition, it looks like $64.99 to me. Regional pricing is a very complicated thing indeed.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I actually like the Venecian Blinds shadow on Manny there. Also officially making it a pnc instead of a mod which is sure to break 30% of the time is a nice. Also also, it would be nice if Tim got royalties from something good he made instead of George Lucas, who knows if the deal allows for that.

I do agree the icons look crappy though.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The GOG gamecard for Grim Fandango now lists a ton of languages, both audio and text:

Deutsch, English, español, français, italiano, português

Double Fine is still a shit company, but this is potentially the most :incline: thing they've done in many years.

m_s0

Arcane
So they're basically selling residualvm, like some lucasarts rereleases are selling (outdated) scummvm?

:hero:

I think this one has better qualiity models and lightning at least, it's something.
Well, they had access to source files, apparently, and I look forward to seeing what kind of quality they've managed to squeeze out of those.

In theory it reminds me of film preservation and restoration and if that's what's going on here (rather than bullshit revisionism as it was the case with a certain movie trilogy) I'm all for the idea. That's the one thing about film the video game industry should start aping whenever and wherever possible, I feel.

Getting rid of pixels in DotT isn't preservation, though.

Deleted member 7219

The game is impossible to find except from eBay, and even then it is a bitch to get working on operating systems.

This is the first good thing Double Fine have done in years. Still doesn't make up for Broken Age, though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
What disturbs me is that Double Fine seems to have been doing poorly recent with their recent games ending disapointing, so suddenly they go for the sure plan of releasing one of the acclaimed classics. Mind you, I’m happy to see Grim Fandango go back to the spotlight, as long as it is done well, but it seems mostly a mean for Double Fine to erase their recent failures and I believe that it deserves better. It’s not even Ridley Scott trying to copy his younger, better, self, it’s releasing the same damn thing again!

pippin

What disturbs me is that Double Fine seems to have been doing poorly recent with their recent games ending disapointing, so suddenly they go for the sure plan of releasing one of the acclaimed classics. Mind you, I’m happy to see Grim Fandango go back to the spotlight, as long as it is done well, but it seems mostly a mean for Double Fine to erase their recent failures and I believe that it deserves better. It’s not even Ridley Scott trying to copy his younger, better, self, it’s releasing the same damn thing again!

DF has failed because Tim can't into leadership, and that's evident when you check their catalogue. Sure, there's Psychonauts, but I don't think Brutal Legend, Costume Quest of even other stuff like Stacking can seriously live up to Tim's name. I'm aware some DF games have been made by other people, but it's still his own company. Let's not forget how his own IT people think he's basically a moron.

Turjan

Arcane
That shadow on Manny doesn't match up with the light hitting the floor. Also the new icons are crappy.
It's probably just warpaint... :prosper:

Edit: But seriously. They use such an obvious fail as promotional screenshot?

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Again there is nothing wrong with the original game: it still plays great, it still looks great, it still sounds great, it still runs great, there is even a fan-made mod that let's you play it like a point and click adventure game. Of course the original doesn't work on consoles...

grim3jsa1.png

In before it turns out that the rerelease has terrible mouse controls, shitty framerate etc.
Is that supposed to convince people that it is just like the original?
1) the old one is displayed in a window, and anybody playing these old games full screen knows how shitty they look. If you stretch it out, the textures and contours will look like shit.
2) the new one much better lightning
3) it has remastered audio
4) it has cool documentary with the original creators
5) it has different control schemes for those who need it

Actually it matches just right. It is the original which has messed up shadow, if you take the light source position into consideration. The developers say in the documentary that in the original they just painted an alphy layer on the floor which looks like a shadow. It is not real time.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, then tell me, where is the shadow of the blind on the floor?
Don't ask me, I'm just a fanboy.
Actually I misunderstood the first complaint, I though it was about Manny's shadow on the floor, which looks right. The blind's shadow on Manny should be on the floor as you said.

buzz

Arcane
Minimum system requirements - Windows: Windows Vista or Later
Processor: Dual Core CPU or faster
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4650 (512MB) or NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, or Intel HD 4000 Graphics
Hard Drive: 4.5 GB available space
Sound Card: Windows Compatible Card
Additional Notes: GPU that supports OpenGL 3.3 or higher

:hmmm:

I swear, GoG's and Steam's idea of "minimum system requirements" is just "find whatever PC is weaker around the offices and pretend it can't work on older tech than that".

Astral Rag

Arcane
1) anybody playing these old games full screen knows how shitty they look
2) the new one much better lightning
3) it has remastered audio
4) it has cool documentary with the original creators
5) it has different control schemes for those who need it

1) :hmmm:
2) Only in this advanced stage of the decline some gamers are dumb enough to be excited about paying some shitty company for trivial graphical upgrades (see also Baldur's Gate, Age of Empires 2, Strife, Metro, Sleeping dogs and countless others) I wonder how much DF borrowed from mods.
3) Did it need remastering, is there anything wrong with the original, is the new soundtrack better than the original?
4) Another hip Tim Schafer documentary probably mostly about Tim Schafer, how exciting.
5) Yeah playing games with KB is very hard, installing mods is even harder.

Did you already forget their previous scam?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/246090/

fanboy.png

nevermind

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It is the truth. The artstyle is still great, but upscaling 640x180 to 1080p makes the game look worse than when they were originally released.
2) Only in this day and age gamers are stupid enough to be willing to pay for such zero-effort graphical "upgrades" (see also Baldur's Gate, Strife, Metro, Sleeping dogs etc.)
Show me where can I buy a new, fully working Grim Fandango, at a comparable price, and I won't buy this new one.
3) Did it need remastering, is there anything wrong with the original (hint: no, it is amazing) Is the new soundtrack better than the original?
They didn't change it, just rercorded the same music with better instrumentation.
4) Another hip Tim Schafer documentary probably mostly about Tim Schafer, how exciting.
It is not just about Tim, and the Broken Age documentary were great. This will be great too.
5) Yeah playing games with KB is very hard, installing a mod is even harder.
Install the mod on what? People can't buy this game anymore goddammit.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Don't stretch the image silly.

You can easily find copies on Ebay, currently the cheapest is around 25$, you can often find cheaper copies. (just a jewel case without box)

Cool, I'm interested in hearing this remastered music.

Use this installer to install the game on modern OS (it will also apply the latest patch during installation) and this mod if you want to play the game like a point and click adventure.

Athelas

Arcane
Not only do the shadows/lighting look much better, but the blinds casting shadows on Manny give the game a much more vivid noir atmosphere than in the original game.:dance:

Turjan

Arcane
Not only do the shadows/lighting look much better, but the blinds casting shadows on Manny give the game a much more vivid noir atmosphere than in the original game.:dance:
What is funny about this is that they put so much effort in improving the shadows and then ultimately failed so hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom