Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Remember Me

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You bring up feminism in more and more threads that have nothing to with it and when you do, it's less and less to argue some relevant point and more and more to call some random gal you hate a retard.

Which random gal is that? Are you talking about Roguey? In the vast majority of cases when I broach feminism, I'm not responding to Roguey, but instead she appears to respond to me—as you can clearly see in this very thread. Other than Anita Sarkeesian (whom I only discussed in threads relevant to Anita Sarkeesian), I never pick on individual feminists, except for Roguey... and usually not over feminist issues.

What you write seems very sensible on the surface, but the so-called evidence you're asking me to examine isn't there. I bring up feminism only on occasion, at which point certain individuals explode because I've dragged it into the thread, turning it into even larger derail than it otherwise would be. If you feel my broaching of feminism is inappropriate, nuke the post or get someone else to nuke it. I don't mind.

It's less me and more the reactionaries who can't handle it being mentioned outside of Politics.

Edit: Which is fine; I'll try to remember not to discuss feminism in gaming threads, if everyone's going to fly off the handle over it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Which random gal is that

A different gal each time - the last object of political hate that went high on your list.

But whatever man. You're free to do as you wish. I just came bearing a friendly word of warning. There's a fine line between political interest and the politico-retards that stalk this board.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
A different gal each time - the last object of political hate that went high on your list.

That's patently untrue. My comments regarding feminism are nearly always general in nature, with the exception of Anita Sarkeesian in one or two relevant threads, or poking fun at Roguey's idols. Fewer than ten of my nearly 2,000 posts reference the aforementioned persons. I don't appreciate you fabricating victims in order to spin-doctor and demonize my views. We may disagree, but I don't recall slandering you in such a disrespectful fashion.

By all means, name just two or three of those "different gals"... or continue dodging the question. As you say, you're free to do as you wish.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now that your mischaracterization of me is the result of faulty memory rather than purposeful slanderment banking on the likelihood that no one can be bothered to check my entire post history.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

That's patently untrue. My comments regarding feminism are nearly always general in nature, with the exception of Anita Sarkeesian in one or two relevant threads, or poking fun at Roguey's idols. Fewer than ten of my nearly 2,000 posts reference the aforementioned persons. I don't appreciate you fabricating victims in order to spin-doctor and demonize my views. We may disagree, but I don't recall slandering you in such a disrespectful fashion.

You are being semantic. I framed the sentence that way to make the point that you often go into threads and start discussions or comment on stuff regarding feminism - not to empirically prove that the object of discussion was always a specific woman and her attitutde towards something ;)

I have no reason to slander you to give you simple advice (I apologize if it came out that way). Which was my only motivation. I don't think this discussion has anymore meat on it, really.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You are being semantic.

You're backpedaling. That's a very fancifully-written backpedal though, so kudos for that.

In any event, you're correct in that I bring up feminism too often. Even if weeks pass since my last mention of the subject (and they often do), in the minds of many, those few instances stand out like a neon sign. In future, I'll at the very least ensure that I'm not the one to initially broach the subject.

Sodafish

Arcane
Game looks like boring shit. The thread title, however, immediately brought Bender to mind, so it wasn't a complete waste.

tumblr_lq3vitVPDU1qj6sk2o1_400.gif

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You might have been thinking of Watch Dogs or whatever that's called.

anus_pounder

Arcane
You might have been thinking of Watch Dogs or whatever that's called.

Nah. I was watching that 'gameplay' preview where they show a bit of neo-paris and then hack that fat guy into commiting suicide. Maybe it was all the AC comparisons, but I thought it was open world and bought. Then I did some research beyond a 'gameplay' preview and found it wasn't.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker stop arguing with everyone.

I basically have to disagree with you here. In general I think statements like those should be more carefully considered. Maybe I misunderstood you, I'll wait for your rebuttal.

Turjan

Arcane
Is this less or more important than the fact that this game looks like shit
The one affects the other. A game where your gender role is of some importance to the designers is always going to be shit. Whilst it's easy to ignore a guy in an armour suit, and is the go-to solution for a genderless game, a female character almost always is either objectified (third person games in general with female leads) or the gender of the character plays some significant role to the story arc. Neither does any good at all.

Hmm. You think this is necessarily the case? Of course, I cannot tell for this game, but most of the time, a female protagonist already indicates that the targeted audience is slightly older (not 12, but maybe 17 and above). The younger teens feel too insecure to be caught by their friends when playing a female, whereas the older ones enjoy the show. I'm not sure whether this allows for a slightly more complicated story. Other than that, I don't think it defines much at all.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I shit you not I was just about to come here and post that joke -- damn you!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom