Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Remnants of the Precursors - Merry Christmas, bitches

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Updated December, 2021:

Remnants of the Precursors is now officially released. Version 1.0 is available for everyone to play. As far as space 4X games, it's turned out pretty fucking awesome. I hope you guys like it.

Here's me explaining it:
https://old.reddit.com/r/4Xgaming/comments/ro17o0/remnants_of_the_precursors_is_officially_released/

Here is the download page for the game:
https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors

Here is the subreddit where all discussion is centralized:
https://www.reddit.com/r/rotp

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So you have fewer micro-issues than Grimoire. :greatjob:

Looks p. good so far.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
MOO1 is one of the least micro space 4X games ever made. It's probably why I like it so much but it still retains depth.

Almost of the micro in it involves bugs and exploits, all of which are being closed.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
MOO1 is one of the least micro space 4X games ever made. It's probably why I like it so much but it still retains depth.

Almost of the micro in it involves bugs and exploits, all of which are being closed.
He was talking about a game made by a Bulrathi-Psilon hybrid who roams these forums.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
He was talking about a game made by a Bulrathi-Psilon hybrid who roams these forums.

Thanks for the segue!

Here's the ROTP artwork for Bulrathi soldier and the Psilon diplomat:
Bulrathi_Soldier.jpg

Psilon_Diplomat_13.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
RayF Perhaps a name change is in order?
Remnants of the Forerunner
It would be more easily understandable than precursor.
On another note: NEVER underestimate the marketing power of a pair of naked DD tits. For the Terrans?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nah, the Elerians are the ones with the tits. Plus they're blue.

And if Avaturd taught us anything, it's that blue tits > regular tits.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Example artwork for the Galactic Council voting when playing as the Alkari.

The artwork in this game is amazing. I could not have found a better illustrator if I had tried again 100 times.

alkari_07.jpg

Mustawd

A guy named Petar Penev.

Thanks. He's got a decent portfolio:

https://www.artstation.com/artist/dnavenom

Some of his figures can get a bit stiff and the anatomy can be wonky (but this can be on purpose since not many are "human" per se)

But his creature concepts show a lot of imagination and I really like his environmental sketches.

EDIT: Looks like composition seems to be a bit of a weakness (at least for my tastes). But what I've seen from the game ITT looks top notch!

:thumbsup:

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Well, I had a particular artistic aesthetic in mind for the game and he seems to be fitting it perfectly. Basically, the development of the game has been extended so that I can throw more money at him for much more artwork than I originally planned.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
What will be the differences with the original?

Originally, I was just going to do a artistic overhaul of the graphics in the original MOO1. But it's become more involved now. The background for the research laboratory, the Galactic Council vote, and GNN were all re-used by each race in the original game. Now there will be race-specific versions, meaning 30 backgrounds instead of 3.

There are other things that are now race-specific, including the dialogue frame on the diplomacy screen, which you can see an example of at about 5:00 in the gameplay video I posted last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8mcCeePmQU

The idea now is for the game's artwork to be completely different for each for each race you play as opposed to what you see in most games... which is just identical graphics with a different race image.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Sir, you're a gentleman and a scholar. Updating the ancient masterpiece, keeping its spirit intact and breathing new life into the aged canvas shows how much love and wisdom went into this project.
I approve each and every word you used in this little pitch of yours.
And you're telling me you're doing all this for free? That's almost too good to be true.

And fuck Facebook.

:salute:

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Well, to be perfectly honest, I've been waiting for someone to remake this game for years. I just got tired of waiting and decided to do it myself. It will all eventually be open-sourced so that other MOO1 fans can pick up the torch and carry it where needed after I have moved onto greener pastures.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
One thing I am spending extra time on is ensuring that each race has its own set of artwork. This is kind of the opposite of current trends where it seems like races in space 4X games today are reduced to a relatively small portrait and all of the other art assets (laboratory, council meeting, etc) are the same for all of them.

In ROTP, each race will have its own unique artwork throughout the game. For example, here is the Silicoid laboratory background that is displayed when your Silicoid scientists discover a new technology or if your spies steal a technology from the Silicoids.

silicoid_laboratory.jpg

Norfleet

The Psilon displays no signs of having any breathing holes. It seems wrong for a race of intellectuals to actually be literal mouthbreathers.

RayF

Arcane
Patron
Developer
The Psilon displays no signs of having any breathing holes. It seems wrong for a race of intellectuals to actually be literal mouthbreathers.

They have nostrils, just positioned a little differently. Here's the Psilon soldier

psilon_soldier_animation.gif

agris

Arcane
Patron
It would be cool if the backgrounds were selectively animated. In the picture above, real particles floating in the engine's exhaust, and a dynamic sky with aircraft coming/going in the top viewport.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom