Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Renegade X (fan remake of C&C Renegade)

http://renegade-x.com/

Open beta Feb 26th. Get Hyped. Totally free and looks to be quite faithful to the original. They even got EA to approve it somehow.

For those who haven't played C&C Renegade:

- FPS set in Tiberian Dawn.
- Mechanically plays/feels like an arena shooter. Snappy movement with instant acceleration. Guns fire accurately at all times, no iron sight or standing still to improve aim bullshit.
- Both sides get pre-built bases. Objective is to destroy other base. Buildings provide specific bonuses while kept alive.
- Buy advanced infantry (more health and better weapons, up to portable ion cannons and railguns) and vehicles (Mammoths! Flame Tanks! Stealth Tanks!) with credits. Credits earned through personal performance along with team-wide bonuses from defending the harvester as it retrieves tiberium from the center of the map. Call down nukes and orbital ion cannon strikes. Also aircraft (orca/apache/transports) are available in specific maps.
- Repair buildings with engineer class, once buildings are lost they are gone for the game. Game is heavily centered around well-coordinated surprise attack and rushes to take down specific buildings.

:bounce:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
It's released now.

Haba
I watched the Youtube vid linked by Average Manatee and they pretty much explained why it's free:
Most of the team are long time fans of Renegade. In order to get the permission for this game from EA, they had to agree not to earn any money off of it (not even via donations or advertisements on their website).
What they hope to accomplish is "getting their name out there" and eventually start working on a brand new IP.

Yes. Paradoxically EA is so greedy that they demanded that Renegade X not be turned into a F2P monster like Dungeon Keeper, thereby ensuring the game is good.

Shit's good at the moment. Almost no teamwork yet but first day so whatever. Only annoyance so far is that they nerfed the infantry vs. light vehicles a lot meaning that if you lose your infantry barracks orcas can rape nod really hard.

Renegen

Arcane
I loved that game, I will be giving it a spin for sure. Any codexers up for some games?

Haven't had crash issues yet, though for some reason the game never saves settings. Damn thing starts at 640x480 every time.

Also every damn server is 32v32, which sucks since most maps are really designed for 16v16 at most. Turns into a huge stalemate on maps like Field unless you have amazing teamwork. Sadly chat is in the top left corner and messages fade out in about half a second, so I'm pretty sure 80% of players never get a chance to see what is being planned. God damnit all we needed to do for like 20 mins straight was get 4 or 5 gunners together and just shoot the airstrip, but nooo. Instead we won after I had 15k credits banked and said I would buy mammies for the whole team so long as we agreed to rush in together with engineer support.

Last edited:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I seem to be having problems with the launcher, lists every server as >200 ping but then I join and it seems like there's no lag at all. Can anyone confirm or dismiss that there are Euro servers?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Ugh, for some reason when I use the 'Refresh Ping' option I get every server name as the IP addresses and the >200 ping issue. I guess I should just avoid using that option but it's a shame there's no way of checking my ping in any way. I didn't even bother checking the names before clicking refresh ping because, well... :M

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
This looks like a sweeet remake. I always regretted not being able to play Renegade multiplayer. The only thing I'm less than enthusiastic about is the addition of iron sights, but that's a minor complaint.

The Iron sights do absolutely nothing for accuracy and slow down your movement. Using them is certain death if an enemy is aware of you because headshots are absurdly easy to get on targets that aren't strafing at full speed. They are basically only useful for a little extra zoom on your opening headshot against an unaware enemy.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Too many instant gratification COD clones out there that don't reward skill but instead pad you on the shoulder every time you click your mouse.
That being said Renegade isn't too extreme in the Twitch department. It also helps to understand the Rock-Paper-Scissor / pseudo RTS system behind it. Say a Mammoth tank for instance will shred a Light Tank in a straight up fight, a Black Hand will murder a generic Rifle Man no matter how hard you twitch etc. and they should because they cost more resources. Tables turn though if you engage using superior tactics or utilizing team work.

Best at least semi-popular Twitch shooter in the last couple of years IMHO is Natural Selection 2, but that game also has a (more robust than Renegade's) RTS system behind it.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
This got one of the top spots in IndieDB for Indie of the year.

Sooooo is anyone playing? Is the community alive?

:necro:

So good. Just played couple of games in full server (I believe 32v32) and it's still as fun as I remember original Renegade being. No technical issues, graphics are good. Maps are good and they require teamwork. I love that they could use the original characters, models and names. Perfect for just jumping in for some action.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom