Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Renowned Explorers - XCOM for kids

Alfons

Prophet
Anyone try it after the latest update?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Latest update is really good - Pedrinho is a meh captain, but the science rehash is decent and opens up a number of new ways to replay the game. The most important thing is that, whereas previously the game was ultra-geared towards the mono-class squads, now mixes are just as viable. Of course, some branches are still more rewarding to specific combos than others, but still, it got much better.

Dunno why they nerfed Kurwowska, though. Now she's one of the worst characters of the game.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Well, previously science was all about gaining combat bonuses. First tree was utility, sure, but others led to increased combat prowess one way or another. And their main flaw was that they were all class-centric. Since those bonuses were really strong, that seriously gimped the varied parties - mono-class was infinitely stronger.

Now, the research is purely economical - it gives pretty much zero combat bonuses, but there's a huge focus on gaining & spending your resources. Also, instead of focusing on classes, in centers on skills, providing some serious advantages to certain skill choices. But, as you can learn almost any skill by the grace of trinkets/helpers/adventure rewards, that's a much more flexible options. Also, the utilities (like the tools and food) have been spread out more evenly - actually, now every research branch has its own kind of a supply bonus. So heavy scientists (Anna, first and foremost) can easily combine up to four. Late game travel costs have been increased to match this, though - Shambala now is choke full of 2 and 3 supply costing moves.

Of course, this also made the 4 and 5 expedition combats harder as you can no longer create a 3 scout team, buy good boots for them all and pwn everything by the grace of 20% Grit to damage conversion. Instead, now you need to work with your economy so said scouts, with their plentiful gold gain, are supposed to buy those legendary attack items without much problems (if you play the game right).

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

http://steamcommunity.com/games/296970/announcements/detail/820032166126886917
Good day, explorers! Today we can finally reveal the upcoming expansion pack for Renowned Explorers. In less than a week, on May 31st, you will find Renowned Explorers: More To Explore, a paid content and gameplay expansion, for sale.
It's a project which we've worked on for several months to make sure we're adding true value to the base game. More To Explore contains new expeditions, but most importantly it introduces new gameplay features which vastly increase strategic options and roleplaying, allowing for even further replayability.

D!!

Educated
Don't let cartoonish mobile-friendly aesthetics fool you. This game is fantastic. Deeper and more complex than Firaxis's XCOM for sure.

baturinsky

Arcane
I like friendship teams. You can just keep heal-buffing yourself.

In Victor's game I got twice camp cards that gave +3 greens when spending Insight by Tactic, which has led to the ridiculous result on the middle two images.

But even without that, I usually get a lot of everything from Timbuktu.

gFas8Xq.jpg

LY8LBRl.jpg

W2wtAQV.jpg

4WSVGc8.jpg

Pope Amole II

Developer
I kinda cosplayed Molly Millions yesterday:

81EB61A9033BFE7FBC3536EF44627E2125F8BB37

The new DLC gave a huge buff to Molly.

As a captain, she gives +3 collect per level of Rogue in crew at mission's end.
Then, on your first mission you get a saxon golden horse, receiving another +2 collect per level of Rogue in crew at mission's end.
Then, on the third mission you get an emperor garb, getting additional +4 collect per level of Rogue in crew at mission's end.
Then you have Harry's campfire story to add lots of status to collect & +25% gold from collect from another story.

Obviously, all crew takes nothing but rogue levels. And you go on the low-level missions so you can pass through all the easy skill rolls (you won't pass through the difficult ones with crappy skills, obv) while receiving lots of stacked extra-collect for this. So you just drown in tokens and all the resources.

Basically, it went like:

Pope Amole II

Developer
What team do you think would be best for Shangri-la/Lost Island?

It's less about the team and more about economical build-up - whether you have all legendaries or not. Maybe all is an overkill, but you really want to have at least 2 legendary weaps for Lost and 3 for Shangri-La. Yeah, Lost Island is easier combat-wise. But, for example, captain Anna + Harry + Victor/Bia will totally work. In one of my recent LPs, I've done Lost Island as fourth and Shangri-La as fifth with them and that went totally OK.

Don't you need a more balanced distribution of skills to get through the final expedition safely? There are only so many inventory slots to use.

The point is, you don't bother with those 4 and 5 star missions. In my screenshot, my route is Saxon - Carribean - Andes - Mali - Highlands, i.e. 1-2-3-2-3. As long as you're stacking enough token generators, you're fine even with the low mission. In fact, if I went 4-5, my score would've been lower.

Unwanted

BĂ©same Mucho

Unwanted
They brand themselves roguelite but I dont see the replayability at all.
They send you through the same 2/3? out of 5 expeditions at first... Why the fuck is that?
First blind ironman run, died in the first boss fight cause Idk that fallen chars drain global Resolve and of course you have a whole 2 of them and 3 chars...
Second ironman run, died in 3rd expedition because a curse drains Resolve continuously without telling you...
Stopped playing ironman.

First run 2590 points. Left out the two 4 star and one 5 star expedition.
So wahts left? Another run to see the other themed expedition and thats it?

Cause the combat is not interesting imo. You get used to those 'mood' shticks and just start playing the way your chars are geared or against enemy weakness.
Tactically its all either bottleneck or fall back and make sure to kill in your turn.

The writing is bad. After 1 playthrough I dont even look at wahts written and only at responses and what +- they give.

Oh and characters, you build your 3 man team out of char collection whose abilities define them and you need to autistically click through all of them and analyze their moods. No thanks.

And the treasures you find... Banal and boring. I havent even checked their stats ever again after they are shown once you find them.

I dont have much interest in building 10000 points groups either. How is that even possible with only 12 food per expedition (which I had)? (ah read through the post, stacking rogue bonus)

edit

So I tried the other theme parks, the two 4 star expeditions are the same rote repetition. Very banal.

But the final one, the 5 star Tibet shit starts banal as well. But the final fight, wtf? The enemy group, 4 chars, all 180 HP and the leader with 400... like 60 resists on all. Was one supposed to win the intermediate fights against the members of the group on the other expeditions in certain way so that they dont appear in the final standoff? Cause that shit look unbeatblae...

Dreed
Irenaeus

Last edited:

Monocause

Arcane
dont
at all.
Why the fuck is that?
cause Idk...
Stopped playing ironman.

So wahts left?
thats it?

not interesting imo.
shticks .
its all either or.

The writing is bad.
I dont even look at wahts written

Oh and characters,
No thanks.

Banal and boring.
I havent even.

I dont have much
How is that even possible

Very banal.

Tibet shit starts banal as well.
wtf?...
they dont
that shit look unbeatblae...

Just wanted to chime in and say you must be lotsa fun at parties.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
So I hear they have another XP comin' up? Any news?
http://steamcommunity.com/games/296970/announcements/detail/508181993780166218
Abbey Games is working hard on the upcoming expansion. We're at the point that all the new content and gameplay is coming together. We'll just take a little while longer to complete the entire experience. For those who can't wait to hear news there's already a small hint available somewhere. Just start up the game :)

http://www.renownedexplorers.com/?utm_source=ingame_ex2&utm_medium=ingame_ex2
Abbey Games is working on a new expansion for Renowned Explorers:
The Emperor's Challenge

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Developer
I must say that I've found the new expansion to be pretty disappointing (compared to the awesomeness that was More to Explore). The titular emperor's challenge sounds fun at first, but it doesn't really wary from playthrough to playthrough and it soon turns into a boring gimmick. RE, despite their looks, are absolutely hardcore. You mess around on the later expeditions - you pay with your life. Heck, you don't do well enough on the early ones, you're screwed later on. Royally. So, instead of adding a new layer to the game, the challenge is just a club for the most prestigious gentlemen. Everyone who's already been awesome can do well in the challenge as they don't mind letting some extra steam out. Everyone else is either screwed or forced to do a low-level expedition strat (where you do nothing but 2-stars, pretty much).

New characters also aren't that great. Well, they're not bad, but they don't add much new to the table. Hojo is, essentially, the quick thinker version of Molly. And that one skill mechanic is, tbh, cancerous and is already overdone. Chinese dude is just a weaker version of Dolores. His skillset is also quite bad as tactics+engineering makes for an awful combo. Taiwanese tranny is kinda great as the character (his story is real good on the first mission), but his captain ability is horrendous as it adds nothing to the economy (and it's 100% useless in the emperor's mode).

Korean loli's ability is semi-interesting, but you can't really play around producing discovery tokens - unlike with secrets or trasures, there's no steady way of gaining them. And, tbh, she works much better as Anna's aide than as the standalone char.

The indonesian expedition is good, however it also mostly rewards skills that are already top-tier. As if naturalist & athlete needed more loving.

It has a bit of fun gameplay, but it just doesn't revitalize the game as the previous DLC did.

Gord

Arcane
Wasn't it released only today? You played the beta?

Pope Amole II

Developer
Yeah, I've had press keys for the beta - I have a big enough youtube channel for this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom