Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Replaying favorite games or trying new ones

What do you prefer?

• Replaying your favorite games numerous times

Votes: 33 47.8%
  • Trying/searching some new (or missed old) games

Votes: 58 84.1%

• Total voters

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Okay, just curious if Codexers love to replay their favorite classic games or trying new games.

When I was a school/university it was like 1-2 new games per year I've been waiting for and tons of free time and most of the time I was busy replaying FO-FO2, Arcanum and PST.

Now, when the time is more limited, but there are a lot of opportunities and temptations (like Steam, GOG, PSN etc sales) I try to play a huge diversity of different games and rarely replay any of them for the sake of not missing something good.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bqck when I was a broke teenager with 2 or 3 new games per year I would replay them a lot, but nowadays I have such a huge backlog of great games from GOG or special sales that I simply cannot have the luxury of replaying RPGs in particular.
Since the early 2000 I think I have only replayed maybe 10 games and the only ones I have repeated back to back would be Stalker Call of Chernobyl (to try out new mods) Shin Tensei Megami Nocture (to try out demon merging from the start and the true demon ending) and the Souls games to try out new builds.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I rarely replay games. The most replayed games for me were Devil May Cry 3 and 4, beause I was pushing myself to get better and better in those games, and reach the highest difficulty levels. Apart from that, I can clearly remember which games I replayed (but only once):
Thief 1, Baldur's Gate 1-2...aaand that's it. I'm not against replaying games, but as Invictus before me, I have such a huge backlog of old classics I didn't play on GoG and Steam, that I will try to finish those first. And when I get into retirement, I will start to replay my favourites. :D

Cassidy

Arcane
During the Second Golden Age of the 1990s, I don't remember ever replaying a game, unless for the sake of playing an user made level through its editor.

Times have changed towards deep and abject decline, and since around 2005 I have replayed games a lot, sometimes even games that didn't deserve being played even once, I must admit. Unless you have relegated gaming to the last thing you'll do in your free time, has very, very little free time or is another popamoler, replaying is inevitable, lest you risk falling into a deep state of ennui.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
sometimes even games that didn't deserve being played even once, I must admit.

Pretty much this. I remember that I played some games in the last few years, which weren't considered particularly good when they came out. But in this age of decline, even those games are enjoyable.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I have problems with replaying games recently with backlog on my back. On the good side - same problem with multiplayer games and skirmishesh or other game modes without end. That's the cost.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, I have Heroine Quest, Might Magic X, Blackguards and Banner Saga to play yet and soon Quest for Infamy, Hero Mage's Initiation, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Dragonfall, the Witcher 3 and maybe Pillars of Eternity to play. How the fuck I gonna get time to replay something?:incline:

But seriously, there are very few games worth a replay and even very good games sometimes aren't worth a replay. I only replay a game if a playthrough can be different enough to justify it or the game is sheer awesomeness incarnate. I played Bloodlines 5 times.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Very rarely for me to replay a game, last was Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, im half way through Blackguards second run, but im too busy derping around medieval Rome right now.
And I got like shit ton of games yet to play.
In this age of bundles, even if you spend $10/month on games you'd have like 30 games a month to choose and play. One new game each day.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I often replay great games if I have time enough, on the other hand, I prioritize playing games I haven't yet, so...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Okay, just curious if Codexers love to replay their favorite classic games or trying new games.
i can't replay most games just like i can't reread any book i've read. the only exception are short multiple path titles like toee.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The stuff I mostly play is Total War and Civilization mods, Thief fan missions and Resistance and Liberation, a WW2 shooter I play since 2 or 3 years now.

So basically, I spend more time playing shit I've been playing for years than trying new stuff.

Drew

Savant
I do enjoy replaying RPGs that have content that I can't reach in just one playthrough.
Other than that, very rarely would I replay something.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I almost never replay games.

The only exception are games like SMT: Devil Survivor where different routes differ significantly gameplay-wise (something western RPGs have never been able to get right), or RPGs that I last played a long time ago (like KOTOR2 or BG which I replayed recently).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If I replay game nowadays, it's games I haven't touched in many years, like 5+ years minimum.

Otherwise it's all about looking into new things, or digging up old things I never played to begin with.

Borelli

Arcane
When i was little my ability to procure new games was almost nil so i replayed them a lot. Now however i'm almost always trying new ones because i like the feeling a new experience gives you. If a hadn't played a game for so long that i forgot everything about it then i might replay it because it feels "new" then.

Zeus

Cipher
I picked both, because for me, the real answer is somewhere in between.

I like playing what I've been playing. If I've been playing a new game lately, I'll keep playing it out of habit. Same goes for if I'm revisiting a classic. What I don't like to do is flitter from here to there, constantly switching games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I used to replay games a lot in the age between X-Box and GoG, aka The Great Decline, when there were few new games coming out that interested me. I played "all" the Thief 1 fan missions and about half of the Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic user made maps that looked good, and I replayed Baldur's Gate 1+2 each year with different parties.
Then I discovered the CRPG Addict's blog and thought "what the hell, why not try something similar, only skip the shit and mediocrity, and not limit myself to just CRPGs?".
So now it is a mix of replaying old favourites and trying "new" ones, mixed in with user made content. By preparing a play list for each year I feel I get much more "work" done this way, and I'm currently in early 1996 playing Civ 2.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I replay a lot old games that has no good later "replacements". Carmageddon, MoM, MoO2, ONI etc
MoM can be replaced with Dominions, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom