Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Replaying Warcraft III

Bros, I decided to replay the original WC3 campaign last night.

It is so glorious, honestly. The controls feel just right, engine is snappy, story/acting is not as overdone as later Blizzard games (SC2) with only trace amounts of retardation.

Even though the game is not that old (what, 14 years old for the original ROC?), I felt a huge sense of true nostalgia. I spent countless hours back when the game was released but mostly played ladder multiplayer (didn't care for campaign/single player stuff back then at all, but now that I'm old and tired I appreciate it more). I don't think I realized we would never have it as good again. Also remembering playing WoW for the first time in 2004 and seeing all these maps from another perspective in a persistent world and how mindblowing it was at the time.

Currently almost done with the Human campaign. It is fucking great. Only bad part is that FMVs are borked in Windows 10 and you have to jump through some hoops to get them working decently (I had to manually register some .dlls through an admin cmd prompt and set a manual gamma level for videos through my videocard driver), but that's a very minor issue.

Although you can see some minor elements of decline here, it's a brilliant game overall.

RIP Blizzard.

rado907

Savant
Hope Bliz releases a digital enhanced edition of WC3 because I feel like replaying the game, too. HD resolution & no CDs please.

Yeah Bliz was still good back then.

Hard to believe that WC3 gave birth to Dota, too. Most Dota assets still have a nice WC3 feel to them.

I used to spam riflemen with the dwarf and archers with the kotg. Good times.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Hope Bliz releases a digital enhanced edition of WC3 because I feel like replaying the game, too. HD resolution & no CDs please.

Yeah Bliz was still good back then.

Hard to believe that WC3 gave birth to Dota, too. Most Dota assets still have a nice WC3 feel to them.

I used to spam riflemen with the dwarf and archers with the kotg. Good times.

Anyone that owns the game can redeem the cdkeys from Battle.net. You download an installer and that's it. No cds involved, and HD is supported for quite a while, albeit it stretches the screen.

pippin

Warcraft 3 already had a nocd official patch back then, didn't it?
I was a big Warcraft 2 fan back then. I played it to death. When WC3 came out it felt like the Second Coming of Christ to be honest... it was THE game. I liked it more than Starcraft, even, for some reason Warcraft had a bit more of tactical depth to it than SC, which I always felt more focused on speed. On top of it all, the game still looks great to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:

visions

Arcane
Ugh. Never played Warcraft 3 but remember when it came out, based on the screenshots in magazines it looked like total shit compared to Warcraft 2, which still looks nice to this day. Fucking early 00's 3D abominations.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fucking modding scene, lotsa quality models spawned.

One of my favourites was the chaos raptor with a laughing anim, was fucking hilarious.

Quatlo

Arcane
Damn, spent much time playing this one in single and multy. Brings me back.

I need to attempt my Hard Dificulty replay of the campaign again, I keep stalling in the human mission where you need to defend a town. Fucking cheesy level 8 Lich from hell and AI pulling troops out of its ass!
Don't leave the town so you don't trigger the Lich

pippin

Just like thet Starcraft mission, you should turtle it instead of exploring and attacking.

Original Dota is still played in China, Dota 2 doesn't run that well on rice computers. In fact, here's a new WoDotA from 2 weeks ago!

Warms my bitter old heart, man.

I need to attempt my Hard Dificulty replay of the campaign again, I keep stalling in the human mission where you need to defend a town. Fucking cheesy level 8 Lich from hell and AI pulling troops out of its ass!

I may be wrong, but doesn't the AI use to attack?

No attempt to intercept the caravan? I think I sorta stopped trying that one.
You can get to the caravan without going through the UD town (from the health fountain in the NW corner of the map).

The AI attacks your own town but never with a massive force.

Delterius

Arcane

I may be wrong, but doesn't the AI use to attack?

No attempt to intercept the caravan? I think I sorta stopped trying that one.
If you try to reach the caravan through either of the Undead bases, they'll start attacking you in full force. Use the back path through the north to reach the caravan.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The WC3 and TFT campaigns are majestic, never mind the modding scene in general. The RTS genre hit a really high plateau with WC3, and then plummeted to its death shortly after.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Orc was the coolest and their Heroes were really great. Shadow Hunter and Farseer were my fav although Chieftain was really useful and the Blademaster was nice at sniping weaker Int heroes.

So, which were you guys' favorite race? I was mainly a Orc player. My cousin played Night Elves, her boyfriend at the time playing some mean Undead. This was when my aunt had a LAN House.
Good times.
I was always partial to Undead. I hated Orcs since the beta/RoC faggotry of masscasters (shaman/wd), raiders and tower rushes, but later on they were a cool faction and Blademaster is one of the coolest heroes in the game. Night Elves were always faggots and humans were too easymode. :dance:

Speaking of beta and faggotry, who remembers Goblin Land Mines? "Shit, my base is getting wrecked, better TP..." *boom*

Loved this game!

Last edited:

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Did the campaign again on Hard not too long ago. I remember getting burnt out somewhere in the TFT Night Elf campaign. Blizz had this super irritating habit of having the expansions begin with the race the base game ended with, so you have to play them twice in a row. Also I absolutely hated the protagonist for it. What's Her Face. The stupid Warden.

Anyway, Warcraft 3, to me, stands out as something truly unique, and I always vacillate between whether I like it more or less as a result. The emphasis on heroes and small armies was something largely new to RTS (the concepts weren't, necessarily, but the execution was. WC1 was really big on small skirmishes but that's more because macro was a bitch in that game). Some days I like it, other days I don't. They add a cool new dynamic, but one that kind of shunts the game away from being pure strategy goodness and into different territory. So it ends up depending on my mood. My main issue with it, actually, ended up being that I'm not a big fan of the pace set by the health/damage ratio. Everything takes forever to die.

I think it was a good choice, in the end. The reality is that what started as "Warcraft in Space" ended up becoming Blizzard's defining strategy franchise, and now in a somewhat ironic reversal Warcraft was forced to try and figure out how it could distinguish itself from Starcraft, rather than the other way around. As a competitive RTS, WC3 just isn't nearly on the same level as Starcraft (BW or SC2, take your pick). I always found ladder games a little unsatisfying. However, in terms of campaign, custom games, and... less competitive laddering (e.g. FFA and teams, rather than 1v1)? WC3 is the king. So much fun.

So, which were you guys' favorite race? I was mainly a Orc player. My cousin played Night Elves, her boyfriend at the time playing some mean Undead. This was when my aunt had a LAN House.
Good times.

I always had the best luck with Humans. Pally with full Devotion Aura and fully upgraded Knights had over 50% damage reduction. Fun stuff. Or using Sorcs and Archmage to launch a sneak Steam Tank assault. I love the Orcs, but I get frustrated by their lack of healing (no healing capabilities until T3? And even then it's something that can be pretty easily sniped by someone with decent micro). I mean you could heal with the one hero, the Troll one, but that's never the hero I wanted haha. Still, their units are pretty badass, especially Wind Riders, which I mentally think of as the Mutalisks of WC3 (and Mutas were my favourite unit in BW haha).

I also liked the Undead, especially their spellcasters. Most casters have at least one spell that made me go "Meh, I guess that could come in handy sometimes?" but not the Necromancers. What badass units. And I absolutely loved Crypt Fiends. In a game where you can't have a very big army, it can be hard to specialize, but that's okay because Crypt Fiends can cover most bases. Good HP, good damage, and they can attack land and air. What more could you want?

Night Elves were cool too I guess.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Warcraft 3 custom maps remind me of just how great our civilization truly is

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WC3 was total decline. WC2 was the best and had the best multiplayer too. I only played WC3 and add on because at some point WC2 was almost dead with only the most hardcore players still online. WC3 was an obvious fall of Blizzard. It was still a good game, just like Starcraft 2 is, but both fall short in comparison with the old games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom