Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Research Help: Non-american otaku in the 80/90's.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
In Romania through the late 80s while under communist dictatorship of Nicolae Ceausescu and early 90s I remember that a lot of "Western" series were banned outright, including listening to western radio or watching most kinds of western TV.

But there were some Anime series running in the evenings (e.g. you have to imagine that there was often only 2-5 hours of TV in a day and seeing a "cartoon" as a child even if you didn't quite understand what was going on was kind of special), for instance I remember Saber Rider and the Star Sherrifs, Superbook, Spaceship Sagittarius and Voltron.
Wow, I never even considered something like that, a communist dictatorship banning western cartoons but leaving anime untouched. This is the kind of info you don't see anywhere, that japanese academics are oblivious to and US academics just don't care.

And of course, there's the severe stigma against mental problems (or admitting them) they have over there, or so I've heard. At least here, I feel that there's at least the people treating me who care, even if society at large doesn't.
Yeah, I heard the same thing, even that when someone with mental problems commits a crime, they usually get the highest sentence available, to be keept away from society as long as possible...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Huh... that's the opposite in here in Singapore.
A lot of people are trying to claim they have mental problems when they did stupid shit like driving past a red light, or assaulting another guy in public.
It is not uncommon to see the accused claiming 'high level stress and dual personality disorder' bullshit to get a lightened sentence.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
It is not my intention to offend anyone but I have to say the current discussion seems dangerously close to a group of blind people discussing a painting. That's all. Please forgive me if my lack of tact brings you any bother. I'll remove myself from the thread now.
I'm not offended, just confused. o_O

Is not like we're talking about how horrible is to live in a flat planet, it's a cultural product and we're discussing our opinions & views on it. I'm very curious now to hear your take on all this, Agassi, and how it differs so much from ours. Don't remove yourself, elighten us. :)

The part where it gets into incest territory is when you realize that the total symbiosis between a mangaka and his one-hit-wonder series is what fuels the circlejerk. Other people would clearly want to present their take on characters, but instead of actually doing it, they essentially go "well I'll create my own Naruto, with blackjack and hookers."
Yeah, just imagine how many retarded american super-heroes there would be if no one could use Superman, Batman and the likes besides their original authors...

And in general the whole industry is built around superstar artists who build up their name, empowered by nameless and faceless assistants who hope to one day do the same.
Not sure how much of it is real, but I found Bakuman very interesting to help understand the industry. It's also a very unique title, the ideia that "a japanese manga about japaneses making mangas" sells all over the world is rather amusing.

Bakuman talks a lot about assistants, and they are mostly wannabe mangakas that help the artist, doing backgrounds, secondary characters, inking and all that. It's often told to be a very cruel job, with insane schedules, massive work hours and low pay. Some manage to break into stardom, like how One Piece author worked as asssitant on Samurai X... but such success is very rare.

There are crap tons of retarded superheroes and villains- I've Googled the articles talking about them. And just like some of the "lamer" manga and anime these heroes and villains have some devoted fans.

As far as being able to reuse superhero names, likenesses, paraphernalia, and themes- I think that's the rub- from my perspective there are tons of different superheroes and universes all with these elements shoved into them. How many iterations of Spiderman, Batman, Superman, etc. have been created? There are as many relatively long story arks that may or may not be canon for a superhero as there are one-off adventures that are forgotten about or sometimes reframed as new in case some readers missed that issue.

From my perspective on shonen manga, it seems like it is trying to deliver what a regular novel or series of novels delivers (long, interconnected story arks all in canon) released as episodic content. A famous exception to this is, James Bond, who is pretty much the Superman of novels, as he can be kept alive and unaffected by time forever and without a set canon. I think the closest I have seen of a manga getting the comic book superhero treatment is Eatman because while all issues have the character, etc there is almost never any other connections or references to the previous issue. Overall, Eatman does have some form of all-encompassing canon (and he ends like other manga heroes), but it is non-linear in the extreme and open to interpretation. He probly could be reused like other comic heroes, as I don't think he is dead in his universe (just a matter of the creator relinquishing the rights and finding a substantial fanbase).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It's getting late right now but suffice to say anime in Poland before 2000 was almost non-existing, maybe an occasional movie here and there, American cartoons dominated.
What?

What about:
Sailor Moon
General Daimos
Yattaman
Tsubasa
Tiger Mask

I still remember sitting before my old 14" black and white TV and watching that stuff.

Hellraiser

Arcane
It's getting late right now but suffice to say anime in Poland before 2000 was almost non-existing, maybe an occasional movie here and there, American cartoons dominated.
What?

What about:
Sailor Moon
General Daimos
Yattaman
Tsubasa
Tiger Mask

I still remember sitting before my old 14" black and white TV and watching that stuff.

Way to a necro a thread to address an issue I already addressed months ago and a few posts later at that....

:rpgcodex:

Zetor

Arcane
I don't know much about anime in Hungary, but I remember that DBZ was shown here between 1997 and 1999 -- then it was banned by the National Radio and Television Council (they're called the Media Council now) because
"A már százhúszadik részéhez közelítő rajzfilmsorozat tartós folyamatossággal ömleszti a tömény és legdurvább agressziót a gyermekműsor nézőire.

A rajzfilmsorozat minden részletében egymás hatását felerősítve, egyszerre vannak jelen az agresszió különböző, de egyenként is károsan ható formái.

1. A fizikai agresszió itt (álruhában, a keleti küzdősport páros mérkőzéseinek álcázva - a sportszerűség alapvető szabályainak kiiktatásával - ) kegyetlen, gyilkos szándékú verekedésként a film legfőbb elemei. A részenként 20 perces műsoridő nagyobb részét ez tölti ki.

2. A verbális agresszió a verekedők durva fenyegetőzéseiben nyilvánul meg.

3. A páston kívül gyakori a lelki kényszer, a félelemben tartás.

4. A párviadalok helyszínein kívül előfordul a fegyveres támadás, a géppuskasorozat stb. is. Fokozzák az agresszív tettek sorozatának hatását.

· a félelmetes, gyakran amorf szörnyóriásként megrajzolt szereplők,

· a folyamatos hangeffektusok (egy-egy ütés előkészületeként vagy hatására a szereplők üvöltése, hörgése, nyögése, jajgatása, nyüszítése, valamint a lövések, süvítések, robbanások becsapódások hangjai),

· a gyakori fény- és színeffektusok (villámok, kisülések, villanások, vakító fényáradatok stb.),

· a mozgás- és sebességeffektusok (a szereplők süvítő száguldásai, a földbe krátert vágó becsapódásai, robajos ütközései stb.), A filmek pszichedelikus hatásúak lehetnek, felajzott lelkiállapotot válthatnak ki, hallucinációként hathatnak.

Különösen veszélyes ez a sorozat azért, mert rajzfilm mivoltából adódóan látszólag súlytalanítja az agressziót, valójában azonban fikciós és játékos formában fogadtatja el a nézőkkel az erőszakot. Ennek a filmnek a folyamatos nézése rászoktat az erőszakra. A rajzfilmsorozat a kiskorúak személyiségfejlődésére súlyosan ártalmas."
Not going to translate all that... but basically it's because of "pouring brutal, concentrated aggression on the viewers of this kids' show". Priests were also actively condemning the series during Mass, which is kind of amusing in retrospect. I think the council eventually relented and allowed the TV stations to air DBZ, but only in nighttime slots (23:00 - 5:00)

FWIW I don't remember any Western cartoons getting banned like this (there were a few movies banned for a while though, like the Last Temptation of Christ). Also, it's probably obvious from the timeline, but all of this took part after Hungary was no longer communist.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
@felipepe I thought I'd provide you with another parallel with mainstream comics, this time of the mainstream fans completely missing the point the creator tried to make and promptly getting a "get the fuck away from me, freaks" reaction from said creator.

I briefly have to break my promise to lay this out, but the two things in question are perhaps the closest parallel to each other, both representing the artistic apex of their own field, dealing with similar ideals and having similar creator thoughts behind them. So, it's a brief visit back to Evangelion, before getting to the meat of it, being the parallel with Watchmen, it's companion in nihilistic deconstruction. The parallel this time is with the whole ZOMGTEHREI phenomenon, meaning the fanbase obsession with Rei, particularly romantic obsession, and how Anno proceeded to essentially comment that are the perverts going to love dolls resembling their mother's and devoid of character, or a real human being (naturally referring to Asuka here in the Shinji context).
I think that most of fans subconsciously interpret Rei as an introvert and thus find her very attractive. Many strong introverts can give an impression of lack of emotions.

Dragonball was immensly popular, everyone and their mothers watched it. Incidentally, everyone here liked Piccolo. Looking back, I've no idea why.

And Outlaw Star for me. It was perhaps my favourite. Runouni Kenshin was also pretty popular, but not as much as Dragonball.

A famous greek rock singer also did the intro to dragonball. Shit is pretty catchy.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Captain Tsubasa
Sampei (fisherman)
Saint Seiya
Yoroiden Samurai Torūpā
Dragonball (1st series, when Goku is a kid)
Ashita Tenki ni Nare! (Golf game)

Fucking Hokuto No Ken

Edit: long time ago...also I forgot to mention

Slayers

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Angra did the opening song

Resurrection of this post just to correct: opening song was by MAKE UP.

Or maybe in your country, Angra redid that?

On topic, not much that I can add, I watched Club Dorothé on TF1 as well when I was a kid. The ones I remember best are Chevaliers, Nicky Larson, College Fou.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Or maybe in your country, Angra redid that?
They redid it:

It was a great move at the time, Edu Falaschi had just joined and Angra was at their height in popularity, and Saint Seiya was INSANELY popular in Brazil, but man, the consequences where never the same... after releasing the awesome Temple of Shadows in 2005, the band became a sad drama queen, releasing only "meh" songs but A LOT of drama... they decline so much they got reduced to playing at small towns and Anime Conventions, and started to end shows with Saint Seiya, as it was the song most people would go to see...

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
What?

What about:
Sailor Moon
General Daimos
Yattaman
Tsubasa
Tiger Mask

This shit is decline.:rpgcodex:
I hate how almost half of the plot is the love story of the redshirt pilot and the winged chick (known in local dub as 'Richard' and 'Erica')

Voltes V is where the shit is.

Divinity: Original Sin

Those were the ones I watched as a kid circa 1983/85.

These animés were part of a TV show hosted by this lady:
orumina_1.jpg
playboy%2Bdez%2B82.jpg

Then Rede Manchete started Jaspion and Changeman and the tokusatsu fever started.

And in 1994, they released Saint Seiya. Cavaleiros do zodiaco.

And this is the definitive version of the opening:

Not that shit "trem da alegria clone" or this modern age also shit angra version.

Other I used to watch was:

Archibald

Arcane
Thats one big necro-post. Read thru the thread anyway, interesting to see that Varna, even 5 years ago, was already talking about Moore and Morrison in somewhat related topics +M

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Weird to read this, after almost 5 years... I did manage to move to Japan and everything, but through a very different path.

Which was definitely for the best. I developed a huge spite for academic papers on "pop culture", 99% of them are pure garbage made by blind fanboys singing high praise of their favorite stuff or pushing their agendas. It's all crap like Movie Bob or Jonathan Mcintosh, just the names are different. Real information comes from market researches - from people & companies investing a lot of money in trying to uncover the truth.

Still, this thread was fun. Lots of cool insights. :salute:

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Because "pop culture" is driven by market, of course. And we could argue that "high culture" grew from the economic needs of the ancient people.
And the academic writers are just fanbois with some academic degree that is usually only slightly related to whatever "pop culture" they're talking about.

Oh how I hate those Madoka Magica and Evangelion theses.

Anyway, this is something I only found recently, Indonesian dub of Rune Soldier Louie

HoboForEternity Black Angel you guys ever watched this?

I only know of this anime thanks to the 'net. Didn't know it was ever aired here.

laclongquan

Arcane
No idea why I skipped this thread in the past.

Anyway, Vietnam.

We go a somewhat roundabout way to access manga and anime from Japan.

We read 99% in Vietnamese, with maybe 1% in either CHinese or Thai. The first and biggest hit on Vietnamese market is Doraemon, which was translated from Thai version initially, and change to Chinese or Japanese later on. Gian is known as Chai-en here, which is the result of that translation.

Anime is way harder. The two first localized version are Doraemon and Sailor Moon. I still remember the excitement of my first episode of Sailor Moon. The non-official anime was translated by commercial source and boys they suck even now.

Yu yu hakusho is good stuff, but we only read and play it, not watch it.

Captain Tsubasa is very popular and all the series got translated eventually. We got most of the football manga genre translated I think. Even obscure stuff like Off-Sided.

Voltes V is also great hit, though different name thank to translation from another country.

Dragon Ball: all versions, baby~

Did I say that book rental shop is a valid business even now in Vietnam? We read a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom