Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 7

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah I finished it today. P. fun I must say tho vastly more forgiving than RE used to be regarding save points and ammo/healing.

What's up with the C&C near the end btw :lol: Does it actually change anything?

I'm assuming C&C you mean the choice between Mia & Zoe.

It changes the ending and how long you stay on the ship. If you choose Zoe she dies, and you have to kill and fight your wife on the ship and head immediately towards the mines. If you choose Mia you play as Mia on the ship, find out why she went missing for three years, rescue Ethan. Then head towards the mines as Ethan. Oh and you'll get any weapons you collected as Mia, so a makarov, a smg, survival knife and remote explosives.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'm assuming C&C you mean the choice between Mia & Zoe.

It changes the ending and how long you stay on the ship. If you choose Zoe she dies, and you have to kill and fight your wife on the ship and head immediately towards the mines. If you choose Mia you play as Mia on the ship, find out why she went missing for three years, rescue Ethan. Then head towards the mines as Ethan. Oh and you'll get any weapons you collected as Mia, so a makarov, a smg, survival knife and remote explosives.
I saved Zoe and still got all that Mia content + fought her before heading to mines. I guess it's fake C&C

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So I bought dis, and holy shit, it's pretty fucking scary at night with high volume and in the dark.. :( But it's nice, def. one of the better resident evil games in the past 5-10 years, except the REmakes. It's better than 4,5, and 6 for me, so far.

One thing, though, it's poorly optimized. There's annoying lines on everything, except when on very high shadows settings. It stutters alot, if you try to do texture high or very high, even with p. good cards. Fuck you capcom, do a proper PC-port you faggots.

For me it I kept on getting white specs everywhere when I was near water. I had to turn off reflections to fix this.

ortucis

Prophet
On madhouse you'll find items you wouldn't find before in the game world (or you'd find them way later), like those blue grenades for the grenade laucher or more powerful ammo for the handgun for example. And that doesn't mean old items are replaced by others, most items are generally in different places than before. Some items you could inspect on normal that seemed like they serve no purpose will hold coins or lockpics this time around. There are more coins to find overall, because key items like keys can be hidden in bird cages. Enemies can come for you if you loiter around for too long. Also, those items that give you back crafting resources are useful this time, because loot ins't perfectly balanced. You can find way more ammo than herbs or vice versa. You also will find ammo you can't use until later. Enemies are a lot tougher, though with the unlocked Samurai Edge it evens out so far. There are more enemies, but then again, regular molded die after 3 heardshots from the unlocked handgun. It can hold only 3 bullets per magazine though. I definitely find the game more tense than before, and it actually made it feel fresh again.

I never got the fascination with "OMG ITEMS HAVE MOVED, GAME REPLAYABILITY UNLOCKED!".

That said, this game has grenade launcher? I thought it was a slow survival horror game from their demo (haven't seen anything else from the game tbh).

Sooo, I am just going to assume, the same people who thought (and still think) that Resident Evil 4 was the "BEST HORROR GAME EVAR!" think that RE7 is the best horror game of 2017 already.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
That said, this game has grenade launcher? I thought it was a slow survival horror game from their demo (haven't seen anything else from the game tbh).
Yeah but it's a makeshift one and not very strong. Weaker than the shotgun. You do get remote detonated explosives which are p. stronk tho. Idk what the issue is anyway considering classic RE games had even bazookas

idk if it's a good horror game, it isn't particularly scary since resources are plentiful. Felt closer to silent hill than resident evil to me.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
mTR71Wn.jpg

Best waifu:desu:

The fact that is a tool, underdeveloped character is sad as fuck. Hope she has any more than a cameo in the DLCs.

Mia looks horrible at the intro video, especially when she's smiling, but there are times where she looks attractive, just when she has more of scared or neutral face.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So, are there any old RE characters or real in-game connections to the older games here? I don't mean references or Easter eggs.

Redfield at the end of the game. Although some speculate it's Hunk from the bonus game of RE2 since he doesn't look like Big McLargeHuge self. I think there will be a dlc playing as him.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I also saw a newspaper mentioning the Racoon city outbreak. Only RE I played seriously besides this one was 3 though.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Therr's a newspaper notice written by Alyssa Ashcroft, one of the chararacters from RE outbreak, and a book written by a character from Revelations. Nothing more than easter eggs.

bonescraper

Redfield at the end of the game. Although some speculate it's Hunk from the bonus game of RE2 since he doesn't look like Big McLargeHuge self. I think there will be a dlc playing as him.
3BFD0DC72B9E9150B610F35A7D3741B7699B61EA

He is clearly listed as Chris Redfield in the ending credits though

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So yeah, thinking I'm nearing the end of the game now, so here's a few impressions.

The game is honestly just as cartoonish as a majority of the other games in the series, as shown in the first thirty minutes of the game, where the protagonist reacts to having his arm violently cut off with a chainsaw by his monster girlfriend by running up to the attic, finding a pistol, then daring her to come back out and fight him. It's just more cartoonish in a Texas Chainsaw Massacre/The Hills have Eyes way rather than going full Commando like RE5 and RE6 did. Sure, there're no boulder punches, nor the protagonist running around suplexing evil Spanish monks, but there is shit like chainsaw duels and shooting a woman's giant spider vagina.

Gameplay-wise it's average to a bit stripped down, and it's pretty obvious that a lot of concessions have been made to make the game playable for a VR experience. Game is very fond of face-grabbing and close-ups, to the point where it feels like I'm watching one of those old 3D movies that have money shots specifically designed to be experienced in 3D. monster designs come across as somewhat underwhelming, especially in comparison to other games in the series (Snot monster > Sword-arm snot monster > Crawling Snot Monster > Fat Snot Monster). There's a stealth system tacked on there somewhere, but it's honestly pretty half baked (tellingly, it has no lean option, which one would consider pretty fundamental in a first-person stealth system, though I assume the option would be available in VR). Overall, it's a pretty experience, but there's not a lot of substance in it.

Good enough game, but not really worth the asking price. Wait for a price drop.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The game is honestly just as cartoonish as a majority of the other games in the series, as shown in the first thirty minutes of the game, where the protagonist reacts to having his arm violently cut off with a chainsaw by his monster girlfriend by running up to the attic, finding a pistol, then daring her to come back out and fight him. It's just more cartoonish in a Texas Chainsaw Massacre/The Hills have Eyes way rather than going full Commando like RE5 and RE6 did. Sure, there're no boulder punches, nor the protagonist running around suplexing evil Spanish monks, but there is shit like chainsaw duels and shooting a woman's giant spider vagina.

Developers said in interviews that they wanted to bring back the B series touch that the original RE games (The first one speccially, with that memorable intro cinematic for example) had. I think they reached it, but I still thinking that the chainsaw battle could have been changed for better. Btw, therre's theories mentioning that Ethan could been relationated with b.o.w.s and these kind of shenaningans based on the supposedly appeaarance of him on one of the archives from RE5, being the cause for his overall "passivity" in the game's events.

ethanwintersresidentevil5.jpg

(He's name is Ethan Winters)

Let's see what they have planned for the DLCs in that regard.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Just finished the game. Gotta say that the presentation takes a fucking nosedive once you get to the tanker, and the game decides to use the old, tired, 'evil psychic girl' cliche that was worn out by the time FEAR used it 12 years ago. Eveline single-handedly manages to destroy all the horror atmosphere the first two-thirds of the game built up.

Of course, it didn't help that by the time I'd left the tanker, I was practically drowning in bullets. Didn't even wind up using the magnum, since I never used them on generic mooks since I thought I'd need them for bosses...only for the bosses to be even bigger pushovers than the mooks.

Overall, I'd rank this as one of the weaker games in the main series. It's not as bland and clunky as RE5 or outright bad as RE6, it instead feels like a 'modernized' version of Resident Evil 1 without the resource management or monster design to prop up the gameplay. A whole lot of style, and very little substance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom