Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 7

game decides to use the old, tired, 'evil psychic girl' cliche that was worn out by the time FEAR used it 12 years ago
Yeah about that...

Richard Pearsely Linkedin Profile said:
Shipped Titles:
F.E.A.R: Extraction Point
F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate
F.E.A.R. Files
Section 8
Demolicious
Spec Ops: The Line
Firefall
1979 Revolution

Honestly I should have seen this shit coming but was so focused on the fact he wrote the story for Spec Ops that I was anticipating a 'fuck you player' story, though I guess Lucas' part fills that role in the sense it fucks with you. Which I surprisingly enjoyed.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got this a couple of days ago but will probably start it tonight, should I play it with a controller for the rumble effect or keyboard and mouse for superior aiming? To be honest I dont mind either way

Ash

Arcane
Codex consensus seems to be "gud for what it is". Shame. Maybe I'll pass. Still , that's incline over RE6 though.

Ash

Arcane
Got this a couple of days ago but will probably start it tonight, should I play it with a controller for the rumble effect or keyboard and mouse for superior aiming? To be honest I dont mind either way

Rumble is not the only benefit of controllers. There's also pressure-sensitive buttons and has been since Mario Bros, for instance. Lightly tap jump = small hop. Push jump = full jump.
All things considered both pads and K&M have equal number of pros and cons, but console gamers are typically ignorant of K&M and PC ignorant of pads. Gets under my skin when either party are so far up their own ass in said ignorance.

Ash

Arcane
I never got the fascination with "OMG ITEMS HAVE MOVED, GAME REPLAYABILITY UNLOCKED!".

Shifts around balancing and puts a spanner in the works of player strategy that takes advantage of known item locations. Beneficial if done in the name of a difficulty increase. e.g was health, now is ammo or money.

...but it's probably a p.lazy and/or boring way to increase difficulty and replayability.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah the game has weird design decisions. Like what's the point of the magnum pistol? It's barely better than shotgun and if you finish the game once you get a better gun. Plus you have to run around crouching and looking at every hole for the hidden away ammo.

bonescraper

Like what's the point of the magnum pistol? It's barely better than shotgun and if you finish the game once you get a better gun. Plus you have to run around crouching and looking at every hole for the hidden away ammo.
It knocks enemies down with each shot, but yeah it's generally p. weak for a RE magnum.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah the game has weird design decisions. Like what's the point of the magnum pistol? It's barely better than shotgun and if you finish the game once you get a better gun. Plus you have to run around crouching and looking at every hole for the hidden away ammo.
Not just the magnum, the M19 pistol is barely an improvement over the G17 in terms of damage. It's honestly better if you just stick with the G17 since it can hold 10 rounds to the M19's 7, and any discrepancy in damage can be solved just by hoarding enhanced ammo.

The magnum in older games was generally supposed to be a hold-out for use against bosses and higher level enemies, but it can't really fill that niche in Resident Evil 7. The ammo is rare enough to fool you in to thinking you shouldn't use it against mooks, but bosses are easily handle-able by the myriad other weaponry you come across which have far more plentiful ammo.

DramaticPopcorn

I'm getting really shitty pixelated/blocky shadows in this game, how do I fix this?

kw8Yc8U.jpg

t7tfWJp.jpg

In motion it looks much worse and triggers my autism too much

sullynathan

Arcane
This video was probably more informative than most mainstream reviewers and echoed most of the other codexers thoughts. I liked it.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Finished. Seemed pivotal for the series what with first person and all and the "House" segment of it was fun and a throwback to the original which I can still play today but there was something underwhelming about it overall, like they could have done so much more.

Have to say though that this is the first "Resident Evil" where the name actually makes sense where it's not Biohazard.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
It's a Far Cry 3 situation; the game kinda takes a nosedive in quality once all the Bakers disappear from the plot about 2/3rds of the way in, and the villain they bring in to replace them is just a bland retread of incredibly tired cliches that basically sucks the horror out of any scene she's in.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://gematsu.com/2017/09/resident-evil-7-gold-edition-announced-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Resident Evil 7: Gold Edition announced for PS4, Xbox One, PC
posted on 09.05.17 at 03:45 AM EDT by Sal Romano (@salromano)

Launches on December 24 in Japan.

RE7-Gold-Edition-Ann-Init_09-05-17.jpg

Capcom has announced Resident Evil 7: Gold Edition for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals. It will launch in Japan on December 24 for 4,990 yen.

The Japanese release includes both standard and ‘Ages 18+’ versions, as well as a PlayStation 4-only physical edition, which will cost 5,398 yen.

Resident Evil 7: Gold Edition includes the complete game in addition to both volumes of the “Banned Footage” downloadable content, as well as a brand new “End of Zoe” add-on.

“End of Zoe” is a Zoe Baker after-story. It will launch for 1,500 yen alongside the free “Not a Hero” downloadable content, which follows Chris Redfield, on December 14 in Japan.

I assume the West should get both the paid-DLC (End of Zoe) and free-DLC (Not a Hero) at the same time. Time for a nice replay once both get released.

Deflowerer

Arcane
End of Zoe? Did they just outright confirm a few months into the game's release how utterly pointless that choice was? lol

I didn't even view it as a choice. The whole purpose of protagonist being there was to find his wife. And then he's gonna choose to save some bitch he barely knows instead? Fuck that.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-05-resident-evil-7-gold-edition-announced

Resident Evil 7 Gold Edition announced
Fear comes home.

By Vic Hood Published 05/09/2017

A Gold Edition of Resident Evil 7 is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC on 12th December, Capcom has announced.

The Gold Edition includes the content from Resident Evil 7 as well as all three DLCs: Banned Footage Vol. 1, Banned Footage Vol. 2 and the upcoming DLC, End of Zoe.

The End of Zoe DLC reveals what happens to Zoe and lets players explore new swamp-filled areas. The DLC is included in the Gold Edition or available as an update for Season Pass members. Otherwise it can be bought separately for £11.99.

The developer also revealed the remaining delayed DLC for the game, Not a Hero, will be released on the same day as the Gold Edition. Not a Hero will be free to download for owners of any version of Resident Evil 7.

The Not a Hero DLC takes place after the events of Resident Evil 7 and sees the return of Resident Evil veteran Chris Redfield. Here's the official blurb:

"As a member of New Umbrella, Chris and team quickly set up a strategy to counter this latest threat. Will Chris once again solve the mystery of this latest outbreak and make it out of the plantation's dungeons alive?"

Tehdagah

Arcane
A definitive edition being released in the same year of the original game? They are kinda desperate.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
It's just a month left of reaching the first anniversary of the game, releasing the GOTY version in december is not a bad choice at all. BTW That policy of releasing some key DLCs of the game as free ones is interesting. I mean, is Capcom.

I hope that the Zoe one develops the character more that the base game. A lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom