Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 7

Tehdagah

Arcane
It's just a month left of reaching the first anniversary of the game, releasing the GOTY version in december is not a bad choice at all. BTW That policy of releasing some key DLCs of the game as free ones is interesting. I mean, is Capcom.

I hope that the Zoe one develops the character more that the base game. A lot.
But still, announcing the definitive version of a game when the said game didn't even get all DLC sounds like a desperate move to please investors. RE7 is on the brink of underperforming (again) for the next fiscal year.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I never got around playing this, since I usually dont have the time or willingness to replay games (other than Stalker series, Dark Souls and Age of Decadence) I was thinking if the DLC and the upcoming GOty are worth playing through or just the base game is good enough for the experience

The way I see it, the DLC shit is what previous games did as bonus content after beating the game, but (((for a price))) now. Ethan Will Die, jacks' birthday, not blackjack, and the basement survival mode really give off impression. The other two dlc currently available dlcs play more like adventure games. One with the camera guy stuck in a bed room, and the other is about how the family gets fucked up. So in short buy the dlc if really liked playing the post-game content of the resident evil games, but I have to say that the only mode up to snuff to mercenaries mode is the basement dlc one. And even then it's like those flash defence games with out the towers.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Getting it on PS4 since i have PSVR to try it in VR. Is it actually good ? From all trailers what i see this is Outlast kind of game which i didn't like.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Getting it on PS4 since i have PSVR to try it in VR. Is it actually good ? From all trailers what i see this is Outlast kind of game which i didn't like.
It is really not like outlast whatsoever.Outlast focuses on you being weaponless and jump scares while this is the same old "action survival horror genre"from resident evil 4-6.
Make no mistake you get plenty of weapons to kill enemies with and you can down the first family member chasing you to get a breather,but your general goal and how you accomplish is by killing everything.
Something like resident evil 3 nemesis but more tame.
Now is the game worth it?
Well not at full price and heavily discounted as well.

The game is indie level of content in terms of length(less then 10 hours compared to more then 10 for 4-6),enemy(you will be dealing with the same type of enemy for most of the game and it is boring,there are no hunters,spiders and other interesting enemies whatsoever) and location variety(one house,one set of linear locations and one boring linear tanker for the finale) and the upgrade system is boring as hell.

The bonus dlc are nice but short and the mercenary mode is more cheap then fun.

Puzzles are your generic resident evil puzzles(take something and put it where it belongs with the additional rotate to find the picture meaning thing introduced in 7.

The game does have some jump scares but since you are rambo incarnate you don't care.
Story is a just boring,nothing insane like 6 or 4 just boring.

Now if you want a good vr experience i do think it is the best current vr experience just because no other aaa developer even bothers with vr and capcom seems to have focused on vr for this from the get go.

Bottom line:If you want to wait there is a definitive edition coming in December with all dlc and that will probably be discounted as well .

Perkel

Arcane
Well that sounds like every Resident Evil ever which is fine aside from enemy variety. Every RE game was like 5-7 hours long from what i played before.

Bought it used physical for like 20$

Perkel

Arcane
Finished RE7 on PSVR. About 11,5 hours on medium.
I must say that this is the best RE game i played and i played almost all of them.

::REVIEW::

Initially i though this will be Outlast clone which i didn't like and i tried to even avoid it. But due to PSVR in my house and lack of VR games in general (especially non-indie ones) i decided to give it a try. So i went to allegro.pl and bought used physical copy. Since games from PSN are just out of the fucking orbit expensive (like 70-80$ in poland) i just bought used one for like 25$.

So after few days of waiting because 24 delivery somehow didn't work for some reason i managed to get my copy. So i strapped on PSVR, switched on game and i was prepared to be disappointed as we all know latest mainline RE games were mediacore as fuck. First of what i noticed was resolution. Or rather lack of it. While VR world is absolutely amazing to be "in" lack of resolution means that there are those annoying jaggies around reminding you that you are still poor bob in your chair and not Neo in matrix. At least that my expression after initial few moments when i was out there in "wilds" but once i got to home my problems went away. Cramped house with barely any scene where you have long distance view quickly fixed issues with quality and from that point from VR perspective it was relatively easy to "get into".

After initial scripted events i finally managed to start exploring on my own aaaaand..... it hit me. This is basically RE1 mixed with RE3. From that point like in RE1-3 i run around house trying to scavenge for supplies while trying to avoid dangers, looking for hidden passages, solving puzzles like in good old times. I fucking love level design. While at first everything felt small because you are supposed to just explore one big house, soon you realize that there is a lot more to that.

After those 11+ hours spend with RE7 i can pretty much say this is the best RE game of them all. It proves that sometimes old design choices which often are lost trying to "modernize" franchise were really working and there was nothing wrong with them in first place. Problem wasn't in design but execution. With RE7 devs went back to RE1 and asked themselves why that game was good and why people loved it and on that principle they made RE7.

On VR front like i said in review this is ESSENTIAL game to play once you get VR. While Capcom choice to restrict VR mode only to PSVR for a year is shit, it means also that very soon PC players will get to enjoy it in full glory with proper resolution and all bells and whistles. Exploring those haunted corridors, murky basements filled with filth etc is really something that can't be compared when you play game on your screen. I play now second playtrough without VR just to see difference for myself and i can pretty much say that without VR game feels half of what it is in VR.

I am amazed that Capcom actually delivered Incline when their RE franchise was reaching new bottoms with every new release since RE4. While i was fan of RE1-4, they lost me at 5 and 6. Now though after 7 i can't fucking wait for RE8.

Playing RE7 also made me realize that Silent Hill in VR would be even more amazing. It is a shame though that Konami these days make more pachinko machines than actual games (leaving aside fact that Team Silent is dead for almost decade)

:5/5:

After i will do second playtrough i will do Madhouse level of difficulty. From what i read this is game on its own. It changes placement of items, how enemies spawn, key items and best of all like in RE1 to save game at any moment you need casette tape.

TLDR: Amazing game in vein of Resident Evil 1. Unexpected incline. Amazing level design. First legit non racing VR game that proves VR is the future of gaming.

Perkel

Arcane
where does it rank in the RE pantheon?

imo:
RE7/RE3>RE1>RE2>>>RE4>>>>>>>>>>RE5>>>>>>>>>>RE6

It is a mix between RE1 design (mansion, scarcity of resources etc.) and RE3 (kind of nemesis system).

Though it might change because madhouse level of difficulty sounds like superior experience:
- most of the items locations redone
- most of monster spawns redone
- you can get keys for coins instead of following story
- few events redone a bit

One of the things that pissed me off most about RE7 was unskippable cutscenes right before boss fights. Like the fight with Jack in the garage. Before I figured out I was supposed to get into the car I had to keep rewatching that idiot cop get his face cut in half with a shovel over and over. I ended up ragequitting and taking a couple days break because of it.
I wanna fucking strangle people responsible in every game that does this shit.

Last edited:
Yeah that's one of the reasons why I wouldn't rate RE7 as high as the original games even though I did enjoy it more compared to 5&6. Another is it that it takes a fucking a half hour before you get even get into the baker's house and another half out before you fight a mold zombie. Which again is caused by unskippable cutscenes, seriously the fuck man. If I was going to sum up RE7 in a sentence it would be "a flawed step in the right direction". And this is me saying this having played Madhouse on my first playthrough and then normal, I have to say that madhouse should of been the normal mode and normal relabeled as easy.

Perkel

Arcane
One of the things that pissed me off most about RE7 was unskippable cutscenes right before boss fights.

True. This is annoying that you can't skip them.

Like the fight with Jack in the garage. Before I figured out I was supposed to get into the car I had to keep rewatching that idiot cop get his face cut in half with a shovel over and over.

At least you figured out you can get in car. I fought him without it lol. Also from what i understand madhouse also changes how those battles play out.

Also from what i understand madhouse also changes how those battles play out.
A little, for the garage fight the car key is locked in a toolbox so you gotta find the lockpick in the room first. Or just keep the lockpick and tough it out until jack get pissed and drives the car without it. Jack revives when you get to the second floor or get the scorpion key in the cage instead of coming back when you get that piece in the bath tub. The gun repair kits are located in different places and the explosive crates in the party house as well.

Perkel

Arcane
Finished RE7 two more times. One to get below 4 hours and i managed to get 3:15 (mostly thanks to that overpowered gun once you beat game once) second time to hunt for all those notes, bubleheads coins etc while not using any health packs.

Now i need to beat game without looking into storage more than 3 times though it should be a lot easier considering i have now chainsaw like melee weapon which wreaks shit

RapineDel

Augur
Also from what i understand madhouse also changes how those battles play out.
A little, for the garage fight the car key is locked in a toolbox so you gotta find the lockpick in the room first. Or just keep the lockpick and tough it out until jack get pissed and drives the car without it. Jack revives when you get to the second floor or get the scorpion key in the cage instead of coming back when you get that piece in the bath tub. The gun repair kits are located in different places and the explosive crates in the party house as well.

You wonder if this was the direction the original game was going with the puzzles being a little more interesting and difficult. I don't think the game was terrible but the puzzles were far too obvious which ruined breaking up the fights/area pacing.

Perkel

Arcane
I can't overstate how much VR changes RE7. Finished game another time this time without VR and frankly difference is huge. While obviously game looks a bit better but lack of depth, peeking around corners, head targeting and share lack of atmosphere makes game a lot worse imo.

IF you have it on PC and you have VR then you are in for a treat when PC version will be patched with VR (should be something like end of this year or early next year)

Deflowerer

Arcane
Played and finished Not a Hero DLC, the free one.

It's shitty corridor shooter with limited weaponry and the same shitty enemy variety as in the original.

Garbage.

Ash

Arcane
Does RE7 have a good soundtrack? Please tell me this is one of very, very few modern AAA games that actually has a soundtrack rather than generic ambient noise, bland orchestra or boring Nu Age electronic music.

Please tell me it has something that adds to the experience, like this:

or this:

Video Game composition has declined so hard.
:negative:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does RE7 have a good soundtrack? Please tell me this is one of very, very few modern AAA games that actually has a soundtrack rather than generic ambient noise, bland orchestra or boring Nu Age electronic music.

It has a couple of memorable tracks, mostly the save room theme and a couple of boss fight pieces.

The soundtrack certainty isn't up to the standards of the classic entries.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Nah, RE7 has the blandest compositions to date, it's very generic Hollywood horror sound. I like dark ambient, and it's great in RE4 and RE5, but RE7 is meh.

The only track I barely remember is this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom