Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 7

tormund

Arcane
Ash
Be easy on him, o most august autist. It is so easy to get yourself permabanned from most of those places, and it's not like poor guy had too many places to got to after that these days...

A horse of course

AvuKNT5.jpg

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The boss fights in this game look pretty lame from the footage I've seen. Also all the button prompts and achievement pop-ups in videos don't help either. I hope REmake 2 plays more or less the same as the first REmake with fixed camera angles and curveballs like crimson heads.

saeci

Arcane
I'm not sure what to think about this game. Caught a glimpse on some livestream in which game started like a normal horror popamole, but then it turned full retard real quick :lol: Main character gets his arm decapitated with a chainsaw then is restapled by an "infected" and it works again, hour of gameplay later the main character and the same infected are fighting with fucking chainsaws as if they were swords :lol:, it's like army of darkness but without humor. How the fuck are they expect people to take it seriously. I played first 3 RE's and they were fucking good, how did they turn it into this shit is a mystery.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I watched Bro Team play a bit last night. He was just kinda wandering around a mansion setting for a long time occaisionally shooting a hillbilly with a monster face and giant booger creatures. Not terribly impressed from what I've seen.

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm not sure what to think about this game. Caught a glimpse on some livestream in which game started like a normal horror popamole, but then it turned full retard real quick :lol: Main character gets his arm decapitated with a chainsaw then is restapled by an "infected" and it works again, hour of gameplay later the main character and the same infected are fighting with fucking chainsaws as if they were swords :lol:, it's like army of darkness but without humor. How the fuck are they expect people to take it seriously. I played first 3 RE's and they were fucking good, how did they turn it into this shit is a mystery.
Resident Evil has always been this over the top shit. Looks like they're back to their roots.:smug:

Ash

Arcane
Do modern dipshit developers not understand that good soundtracks can actually increase immersion, not detract from it ffs...lol imagine Silent Hill opening alleyway scene without that music, just the occasional monster groan. Wouldn't pull you in nearly half as much.

Yeah, nothing helps my immursion more than a magical fairy playing a musical score in my ears.

Immersion is not exclusively tied to how realistic a game is. Enjoyment of the game also counts, for instance. If you're not enjoying the game and find it utterly boring, you have no chance of being sucked into its world.
The Silent Hill alleyway scene is a perfect example. Much of the horror comes from the music, and horror and immersion go hand in hand: if you're finding the game scary it is succeeding in sucking you into its world. Horror amplifies immersion and immersion amplifies horror.

ortucis

Prophet
Immersion is not exclusively tied to how realistic a game is.

First of all, I never said anything about "realism". Second, you think Call of Duty is realistic? LEL!

Enjoyment of the game also counts, for instance. If you're not enjoying the game and find it utterly boring, you have no chance of being sucked into its world.
The Silent Hill alleyway scene is a perfect example. Much of the horror comes from the music, and horror and immersion go hand in hand: if you're finding the game scary it is succeeding in sucking you into its world. Horror amplifies immersion and immersion amplifies horror.

There is a time and place for everything. A horror game with background music constantly playing, is not a good thing. Immersion in horror comes primarily from ambient noises and visuals (unless it's psychological horror, which no developer is capable of, so far), like Silent Hill 3. Music should be used sparingly else it just kills the atmosphere instead of enhancing it.

You wanna know a good game with great music that enhances the environment/experience when constantly playing? Assassins Creed 2: Brotherhood.. or actually, most games with Jesper Kyd music in it, like Hitman: Blood Money.

But yeah, horror is probably THE worst genre to stick your shitty music in. It'll work for few, for most, it'll just make it more gamey.

sullynathan

Arcane
ortucis I agree. Even in stealth games like Chaos Theory with great soundtracks, you can go through most of the game without hearing anything at all.

ortucis

Prophet
ortucis I agree. Even in stealth games like Chaos Theory with great soundtracks, you can go through most of the game without hearing anything at all.

Yeah because Splinter Cell and Hitman like games have stealth that relies on visuals more than sound, like Thief. Imagine the old Thief games with some annoying soundtrack in the background (it did have music, but it blended in and complimented the ambient sounds). I think with FPS games, you have more chance of immersing the player using ambient sounds than third person, where music can be used instead since directional sound means jack in third person.

flyingjohn

Arcane
For a triple a game this game feels very indie like in terms of content:

1)Enemy variety is non existent,minus the generic slow walking humanoids and some moths there is literally nothing else.
2)Game feels like the final part of the game is missing entirely.The first and second parts are great and feel resident evil like(exploring a house that you search for secrets),but the final part is a ship with boring linear corridors and revisiting previous locations but without the ability to explore for hidden stuff.
3)The horror part gets invalided because you have plenty of ammo and you can craft ammo and supplies.And the action part feels unsatisfying thanks to a lack of enemy types and the bugginess of ai and doors.(try closing doors on enemies,you will get gamebryo body flashbacks)
But the weapons do feels nice especially the flamethrower.
4)The upgrade systems feels tacked on considering you can find most of the upgrades by exploring and they aren't really significant(reload speed and health).
5)Puzzles are a mixed bunch.The rotate object to resemble something else is boring as hell while the others puzzles are the typical resident evil puzzles.

For the asking price you get a 8-10 hour game that looses it's steam after 4-5 hours,seems bargain bin material.

But if you are a interested in vr games,this game might actually be worth it and the price would't concern you anyway.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The game is good, but not great. Agree mostly with flyingjohn's assessment.

The game's also too easy (both in terms of action and puzzles), the plot is bonkers, enemy "variation" consists of the black goo monster in 3 subtypes and some spiders/giant flies, and there seems to be an overall lack of intensity. On the positive side, the graphics style is very sublime and realistic, animations are great, as is lighting and sound. Game also runs incredibly smooth. I must say the boss fight with Marguerite was actually pretty cool.

Either way, get it for 50% off or so 'cause it's not worth the full price. Replayability is basically zero.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
Looks okay for a playthrough, which is better than I thought it'd be, pity they designed it so heavily around VR.

Ebonsword

Arcane
First reviews:
I had hoped to enjoy Resident Evil 7 for what it appeared to be: a strange, Western approach to the series. I didn't expect it to hark so close to the series' roots while managing to still bring some action and more intuitive controls.
Reinventing older game series’ to fit ever expanding technological boundaries while maintaining their quiddity is one of the great challenges in game design. Indeed, it’s one that Resident Evil’s creators have failed to meet on numerous occasions. Resident Evil 7, by contrast, is a masterclass: breezily new, yet quintessentially in character with its illustrious forbearers.
Resident Evil 7's changes — especially the shift to first-person — may be off-putting to some. But it's an evolution that fits perfectly into the world and source material Capcom has created. It's hard to know if Resident Evil 7 will stand the test of time as much as classics like the original, or RE4. Taken on its own, however, it's an excellent game that pushes the series in worthy new directions.
However you play it, Resident Evil’s back. Completely different and yet instantly familiar. Compared to the bloated action of the last few installments this is literally a Resi revelation, executing modern horror ideas, interesting characters, locations, and a fantastic atmosphere to create something that can stand proudly among its sources. It’s about as an essential a horror experience as you can get.
Folks, Resident Evil 7 is a Resident Evil game. Hell, it's doesn't even reboot the story. RE7 is a game that tries to recreate the feeling of the original game using modern tech and design. And for the most part, it works. Is it the best Resident Evil ever? No. Resident Evil 4 was lightning in a bottle and matching up to that is a tall order; Resident Evil 7 just seeks to establish a new foundation. A new take on an old take of survival horror. I'd call the result a success. Welcome to the family, Resident Evil 7.
RE7 ends just as it starts to outstay its welcome, and after the fact, I felt like I'd survived a truly harrowing journey. The boss fights may be slightly inconsistent and certain sections might drag after a while, but RE7 is still a remarkable success. It has a clear vision and executes it with impressive patience and precision. By returning to horror, Resident Evil has once again become something special.
Resident Evil 7 grounds itself in elements that made the original great while still indulging in a risky new shift in style that both helps and hurts the beloved formula in equal measure. But it’s also the closest a numbered sequel has come to recapturing Resident Evil’s slow, but thrilling and atmospheric adventure game roots in a while — a welcome return that I truly hope to see more of in the future.

Huh, looks like this time Capcom remembered to pay all of the people they forgot to pay when RE6 came out.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
First reviews:
I had hoped to enjoy Resident Evil 7 for what it appeared to be: a strange, Western approach to the series. I didn't expect it to hark so close to the series' roots while managing to still bring some action and more intuitive controls.
Reinventing older game series’ to fit ever expanding technological boundaries while maintaining their quiddity is one of the great challenges in game design. Indeed, it’s one that Resident Evil’s creators have failed to meet on numerous occasions. Resident Evil 7, by contrast, is a masterclass: breezily new, yet quintessentially in character with its illustrious forbearers.
Resident Evil 7's changes — especially the shift to first-person — may be off-putting to some. But it's an evolution that fits perfectly into the world and source material Capcom has created. It's hard to know if Resident Evil 7 will stand the test of time as much as classics like the original, or RE4. Taken on its own, however, it's an excellent game that pushes the series in worthy new directions.
However you play it, Resident Evil’s back. Completely different and yet instantly familiar. Compared to the bloated action of the last few installments this is literally a Resi revelation, executing modern horror ideas, interesting characters, locations, and a fantastic atmosphere to create something that can stand proudly among its sources. It’s about as an essential a horror experience as you can get.
Folks, Resident Evil 7 is a Resident Evil game. Hell, it's doesn't even reboot the story. RE7 is a game that tries to recreate the feeling of the original game using modern tech and design. And for the most part, it works. Is it the best Resident Evil ever? No. Resident Evil 4 was lightning in a bottle and matching up to that is a tall order; Resident Evil 7 just seeks to establish a new foundation. A new take on an old take of survival horror. I'd call the result a success. Welcome to the family, Resident Evil 7.
RE7 ends just as it starts to outstay its welcome, and after the fact, I felt like I'd survived a truly harrowing journey. The boss fights may be slightly inconsistent and certain sections might drag after a while, but RE7 is still a remarkable success. It has a clear vision and executes it with impressive patience and precision. By returning to horror, Resident Evil has once again become something special.
Resident Evil 7 grounds itself in elements that made the original great while still indulging in a risky new shift in style that both helps and hurts the beloved formula in equal measure. But it’s also the closest a numbered sequel has come to recapturing Resident Evil’s slow, but thrilling and atmospheric adventure game roots in a while — a welcome return that I truly hope to see more of in the future.

Huh, looks like this time Capcom remembered to pay all of the people they forgot to pay when RE6 came out.

Yeah, those reviews are absurd.

ortucis

Prophet
I just checked the save game data on my PC for Silent Hill 3, it was last modified in 2010. I haven't played a horror game since cause all these new "horror" games look the same, play the same.

I actually just watch their Let's Plays online now, like a movie almost. Saves me money. So yeah, RE7 Let's Play, going for it.

Can't be arsed to play this so no matter how many reviews Capcom payed for, they aren't getting my money. The same way instead of buying a PS4 for exclusive titles it has, I just watched them online like movies (B-grade). :smug:

bonescraper

Well, i loved it. Definitely one of the better games in the franchise. And i'm looking forward to replaying it actually, since 1) you unkock some stuff once you beat the game (a gun, "the secrets of defense", whatever that is, and the highest difficulty mode that re-arranges items and thoughens up enemies) 2) there's a choice to make somwhere in the 2/3 of the game that leads to slightly a different ending 3) you unlock more stuff by beating the game in various ways and different difficulty settings.

And the game ends in a satisfying conclusion, i have no idea why people are saying that the ending is missing. This is a story about Ethan, his waifu, the Bakers and Evie, and it ends right where it should. Yeah, the game leaves you with more questions than answeres in the end, but thank god for that. Looks like Capcom is actually trying to un-fuck the setting. It leaves you with a mystery, but not a cliffhanger.

96DE870843E784D251C6A42BA5FF59420242CA16

2560F533058CC538AC94F1D5B4D381376AA46D4E

A3ED41E0E4DA17CE897DC167991F38A103D439E4

679D90E559EB4004D26DA3E4B6EF284AEB8D2B4D

Last edited by a moderator:

Machocruz

Arcane
The early RE games had appropriate soundtracks. Just right, and also memorable without being catchy like classic 8/16 bit music.

RE7 is fun to watch, not necessary to play because the best parts of it are audio/visual. The sound effects are meaty and crisp. I can imagine a modern Looking Glass game looking and sounding like it, and with their design approach instead of Capcom's simple-minded one you would have a glorious game. Lack of enemy variety and the plentiful resources hurt the game when it comes to play.

And I don't know if it has something to do with FoV, but surroundings feel small compared to Outlast.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looked at some gameplay for an hour or two. I found the game absurd. Zombies that can take 10 shots to the face and still live. Main character gets his hand cut off but is sown back on. Etc etc.

Last edited:

bonescraper

Oh yeah, this game definitely was designed to play at least twice, first on normal and then on madhouse mode. Normal teaches you the game then madhouse re-shuffles all items, enemies, severly limits your auto saves and adds cassette tapes which work exaclty like ink ribbons in classic RE games. On madhouse you'll find items you wouldn't find before in the game world (or you'd find them way later), like those blue grenades for the grenade laucher or more powerful ammo for the handgun for example. And that doesn't mean old items are replaced by others, most items are generally in different places than before. Some items you could inspect on normal that seemed like they serve no purpose will hold coins or lockpics this time around. There are more coins to find overall, because key items like keys can be hidden in bird cages. Enemies can come for you if you loiter around for too long. Also, those items that give you back crafting resources are useful this time, because loot ins't perfectly balanced. You can find way more ammo than herbs or vice versa. You also will find ammo you can't use until later. Enemies are a lot tougher, though with the unlocked Samurai Edge it evens out so far. There are more enemies, but then again, regular molded die after 3 heardshots from the unlocked handgun. It can hold only 3 bullets per magazine though. I definitely find the game more tense than before, and it actually made it feel fresh again.

Also, this time i had a different experience with Jack. First, he actually got me early in the game, cut off my leg just below the knee then pulled out first aid liquid and placed it on the floor in front of him. I crawled up to him, took the bottle and re-attached my leg. That was quite awesome. Also, this time around he got in the car and ran me over :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Max Stats

Liturgist

The LP I was watching last night, even the LPer was a little incredulous about the maiming. Like to heal the guy pours first aid fluid on his stump. Really?

bonescraper

Such outrage over a healing liquid in a game series that had introduced healing goddamn spray 20 years ago. Where do you guys come from ffs.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I want to buy this game as I'm a sucker for survival horror but it just reminds me too much of Texas Chain Saw Massacre and I didn't like dat. I don't know I'll keep watching gameplay'maybe I'll change my mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom