Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
CAPCOM BRINGS BACK CLASSIC RESIDENT EVIL(TM) FOR NEXT AND CURRENT GEN PLATFORMS

Highly Demanded Fan Favourite Horror Title Returns in 2015

London, UK. -- August 5, 2014 -- Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced Resident Evil for PlayStation(R)4 computer entertainment system, PlayStation(R)3, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC. Resident Evil will be available to purchase digitally across Europe and North America in Early 2015.

The hugely popular Resident Evil series, having sold over 61 million units to date, returns to its roots with a remastered version of the critically acclaimed masterpiece, Resident Evil. Originally released in 1996, Resident Evil was then "remade" in 2002 from the ground up with new visuals, gameplay elements, environments and story details whilst retaining the survival horror atmosphere the series had become synonymous for. Both fans of the franchise who want a trip down memory lane and those who are yet to experience the game that coined the term survival horror for the gaming world will appreciate this definitive re-visit of that iconic 2002 Resident Evil title.

Using the latest resolution enhancement and 3D model technology, game resolutions and textures have been significantly upgraded, including 1080p support on next-gen consoles, resulting in characters and backgrounds coming to life in greater detail than ever seen before in Resident Evil. Not only will the graphics impress but the tense sound effects have been fully remastered with 5.1 surround support for a greater gaming atmosphere. Players are now able to choose not only between experiencing the terror at the classic 4:3 ratio or a stunning 16:9 widescreen mode but also the type of control scheme they play with. The classic control scheme remains for fans of the original play style or there's an alternative scheme where the character moves directly in the direction of the analogue stick, utilizing the standards of the current generation of gaming. Both the control scheme and the display options can be toggled between at any time during gameplay.
The intense horror fans first experienced with the release of the original Resident Evil is back. Taking place in the now notorious Raccoon City, players choose to take on the role of either S.T.A.R.S. (Special Tactics and Rescue Service) team member Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine who have been sent into the city to find the missing Bravo team. When the team is suddenly attacked by a ferocious group of mutated dogs, desperate for an escape they take shelter in the Mansion, but will they ever get out alive again? Players will need to be brave as they adventure through the dark, enclosed spaces searching out the horrors that await them. With limited ammo and survival items available gamers will need to keep their wits about them to survive the various traps and puzzles that greet them at every stage.

To download the announcement assets for Resident Evil and the latest game information head over to our press site at www.capcomeuro-press.com

Screenshots:
http://www.play3-live.com/news/le-reboot-du-premier-resident-evil-arrive-en-2015--67792

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Meh. Maybe they should put that effort into making the new ones not suck so much.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Can't wait for modern improvements includings shitty QTEs while making Jill's sandwich.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I'm ok with this. I've always wanted to try out the remake but since it was only on gamecube, that kinda hampered me trying it out. Sure you can get an emulator up and running but I never got around to it, and now that it's coming to PC, might as well play it native.

deuxhero

Arcane
the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft
:hmmm:

Supporting multiple resolutions with prerendered backgrounds will be interesting. Doesn't PoE have to have multiple separate downloads for different resolutions?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Meh. Maybe they should put that effort into making the new ones not suck so much.
This! If they put effort into modernizing a classic old school RE, they probably think that there is a market for that. So maybe, I don't know, they should make the new RE games real survivor horrors instead of shitty action games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It was either the first or second Resident Evil that I played, I could never finish it though because the controls were so fucking terrible. I'm actually interested in this remake.

Repressed Homosexual
No way this won't come with many features to make it easier on casual gamers, the 2002 remake was absolutely brutal and this wouldn't fly in the days of auto-regeneration chambers.

And modern RE completely sucks and has become a disjointed parody of itself. They need to go back to the sense of horror confined to a few small locations and slow, methodical gameplay of 1-2-3.

It looks like it still uses the same pre-rendered backgrounds as the GameCube version.

Ivan

Arcane
So this is going to be a dumbed down HD facelift of the GC remake? Never tried it out (my gc crapped out on me).

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
No way this won't come with many features to make it easier on casual gamers, the 2002 remake was absolutely brutal and this wouldn't fly in the days of auto-regeneration chambers.

If they don't then this will be quite good. The remake was excellent. I remember playing without a walkthrough on a medium difficulty setting and without being aware of the "crimson zombie" revival mechanic for the first time. I had to reset midway on my playthrough because the game became impossible to beat.

The game could be challenging and it had great new mechanics. Surprising for 2002, but the new things they added actually improved the original game a lot. The improved graphics, sound and voice acting were just the icing on the cake.

Bahamut

Arcane
Looks like a rushjob GC port

2165d766fd4afcf9a755e68d6d22b37a.jpg

Upscaled blurry backgrounds with filter + updated 3d models

Ebonsword

Arcane
This! If they put effort into modernizing a classic old school RE, they probably think that there is a market for that. So maybe, I don't know, they should make the new RE games real survivor horrors instead of shitty action games.

Part of the reason that the RE series became so action-oriented was that REmake on the Gamecube didn't sell as well as they'd hoped.

If this version moves a lot of units, it probably would help to convince Capcom to bring the series back to its roots (which they already started to do with Resident Evil: Revelations).

Day one purchase for me, probably.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'd like to see a new RE game in the style of the original, new city, new characters, new enemies even, but a good, solid formula like the first, one that emphasizes loneliness with the occasional human contact and conspiracies, either government or corporate, that seem real enough to be scary on their own.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
That would be awesome.
I'd prefer something new tho, but along the same vein.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom