Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil HD Remaster announced

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Just play the original, it's aged waaaaaaaay better than Resident Evil 1.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I 'recently' (maybe a year ago or two) tried to play through the whole series. RE1 still holds up very well in my opinion, as a matter of fact, I always thought and still think it is the best classic RE because it has by far the creepiest atmosphere (that creepy mansion! that creepily depressing music!) .. REmake was a brilliant remake that stayed true to the original while giving it a few new twists to stay entertaining even to veterans. The graphics are reeeally good and hold up even today in my opinion, which made the whole thing even creepier. I was on the edge of my seat sometimes while playing this, I can recommend it to anyone who can get his hands on a Gamecube.
RE4 turned RE from survival to action and even though its a nice game, I dislike it for that reason and did not finish it. I did not finish RE Zero either, but I can't put my finger on the reason why, maybe it was just burnout at that point. RE2 I find slightly overrated, while I thought RE3 slightly underrated (Nemesis was a really cool addition, as was the branching paths).
The screenshots for this new remake look exactly like REmake, is it just a port? Its confusing me a little. But if this is going to be anything like REmake, I say thats a good thing and I hope it sells like baked potatoes, because after the failure of RE6, this may mark a return to form for the series.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Anyone here played Resident Evil 0 and the Outbreak spin offs? These are the only old ones that I never touched. Other than that I'm yet to play 5, 6, and all of those crazy stuff that's on steam and don't even look like RE
0's not very good, mostly due to a combination of the shitty companion mechanics and uninspired monster design, combined with the fact that the story feels like one of those Final Fantasy VII-esque spinoffs that try to make what should be a fairly mundane and straightforward side-plot with little need for elaboration (Bravo team land in the forest, get attacked by zombie dogs, run into the mansion) into something much more unnecessarily grandiose.

I haven't played the Outbreak games in years, but the first one was pretty decent from what I can recall, with each of the levels having their own little twist (one taking place in a hotel that's slowly burning down, one with a nemesis-esque indestructible leech monster hunting you in a hospital, etc). Though the second one relied much more heavily on those gimmicks and can be seen as a bit weaker as a result. Although since the servers went down years ago you'll have to try your luck with the AI companions, who were shoddy at the best of times.

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
Anyone here played Resident Evil 0 and the Outbreak spin offs? These are the only old ones that I never touched. Other than that I'm yet to play 5, 6, and all of those crazy stuff that's on steam and don't even look like RE

0 was "good for what it was" I guess. It had the classic gameplay, but the design, monsters and plot just fell short of the remake a lot. The bosses and locations were kind of boring. You played Rebecca and a "bad boy antihero" type who was even more annoying than her. That didn't help either.

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
Still better than everything in the franchise except the original trilogy and remake though. I guess you should play it if you like the originals.

Peter

Arcane
Looks awful with the shitty upscaled, Photoshop filter-covered backgrounds. If you're gonna do an HD remake, at least dig up the old background source files and re-render them (or nowadays you could arguably just go full 3D). If you've lost the files (an all too common occurrence), well, shit, do a tasteful paint-over or rebuild the scenes. As it stands, this is just incredibly lazy.

bloodlover

Arcane
I remember playing Resident Evil 2 and 3 on PS1.

That big guy in RE3 was always a pain in the ass.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Heh, what a nice cash grab. It's basically the Gamecube remake upscaled and filtered. It's the same they did with the various HD versions of PS2 games ported in PS3. It wont be much different from what you can achieve with the dolphin emulator since dolphin can upscale the game and use a widescreen hack.

Peter

Arcane
It's the same they did with the various HD versions of PS2 games ported in PS3.

Many of those benefited at least a bit from the higher resolutions and slightly redone texture stuff and whatnot. The problem with this one are the pre-rendered backgrounds, which actually look worse here than they ever have when upscaled and run through a bunch of tacky filters.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
RE3's Nemesis definitely added to the stress level of the game. The idea that this big guy was hunting you down made things really intense at times.

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
One lame thing about RE3 is that you started the game with a complete arsenal including the best weapons and a large stock of ammunition. All you had to do was to administer stock pretty much. The game would have been a lot more intense if you had to scavenge as in the older games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One lame thing about RE3 is that you started the game with a complete arsenal including the best weapons and a large stock of ammunition. All you had to do was to administer stock pretty much. The game would have been a lot more intense if you had to scavenge as in the older games.
What? No! Depending on the difficultiy, you started with a handgun IIRC. You could get rifles and shit with the mercenary minigame though.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
If anything I'd argue that it handled early-game pretty well in terms of difficulty. You start out with a pistol and you can find a shotgun a little later, but ammo for it is pretty scarce and you'll probably use most of it to keep Nemesis off your back. It's mid-to-late game, when you've wrapped your head around the bullet crafting and dodging, that things start to get alot easier. It handled it alot better than Resident Evil 2, where you get some of the best guns in the game within the first two hours and by the end have dozens of magnum rounds, grenades of all variety, and two dozen shotgun shells burning a hole through your pocket.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I specifically remember the problems I had the first time when I played RE2 and very far into the game (I can't remember the specifics) - I ran almost completely out of ammo.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I specifically remember the problems I had the first time when I played RE2 and very far into the game (I can't remember the specifics) - I ran almost completely out of ammo.
It was easy to run out of ammo, although not as easy as in RE. That's why you should avoid shooting unless it is absolutely neccesary. Just try to run from the zombies.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah, I've run out before and had to scavenge like mad in RE2. Gives you the illusion of lots of ammo early on, but for the most part forces you to really conserve and manage better.

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
What? No! Depending on the difficultiy, you started with a handgun IIRC. You could get rifles and shit with the mercenary minigame though.

:lol:

Man memory is one hell of a thing. Forget about that comment.

Machocruz

Arcane
RE2 was the first sign of the popamole to come. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but by the last 3rd I had ammo to spare, and I wasn't super conservative in the first 2/3. I felt pretty formidable compared to RE1. After that, RE3 felt fairly unforgiving in terms of ammo supply. Too bad the game just didn't grab my attention. Nemesis was a less subtle and therefore less mysterious and imposing figure than Mr X., who was a monolithic, machine-like presence in RE2. Dealing with him felt closer to being stalked by the Terminator than any Terminator game.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Nemesis was a better and deadlier Mr. X, except his design is a little bit worse.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Nemesis was more ferocious. Less covert and more overt, that's what made him so scary. Up until then, you'd never really faced something so aggressive so early on. The tyrant project, Mr X, they got their shit crazy at the end with bum rushing you and shit, making you crap your pants, but right off the bat Nemesis is charging like a fucking linebacker.

Also, Nemesis is more...personal about it, which makes him somewhat scarier. He's not just going after humans like the other dead guys, he's going after YOU and the guys in your team. Sounds silly but it makes him look more dangerous.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
It helped alot that Nemesis was also the first truly 'intelligent' tyrant in the series. Up until that point, most enemies the player encountered were essentially just dumb animals working off of basic animal instinct. Mr. X was a step above them, but even he didn't really seem to have much fighting instinct beyond "Walk slowly towards the player and hope you can get close enough to hit him before they blow you to pieces", not much of a step beyond the zombies you encounter most of the game. That and he wasn't a great focus within the game itself, only showing up a handful of times before the endgame. 3 was successful in conveying the fear of being hunted by an intelligent monster, one that would ambush you, play to its own strengths and your weaknesses, actively cutting off your attempts at escaping, and with a terminator-esque dedication to seeing you and you alone dead.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom