Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Resident Evil Revelations 2 - OUT NOW!

Ebonsword

Arcane
http://www.destructoid.com/capcom-confirms-resident-evil-revelations-2-280480.phtml

I think Revelations #1 is the best Resident Evil game since Code Veronica, so I'm pretty damn excited about this.

And, based on the trailer, it looks like zombies may be back as the main enemies! (I never liked the Ganados/Majini/J'avo crap from Resident Evils 4, 5, & 6.)

Tehdagah

Arcane
We know that the first Revelations team is working on the sequel

Meh, easy cash cow to suck fans.

The trailer also reeks of "emotional engagement".

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
It was like a real RE instead of a shitty zombie action game with QTE everywhere.

I was watching the press conference last night. Did the guy really say the voice acting for the original RE (it had English audio even as "Biohazard") was done by professional actors when talking about the REmake port?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Meh, I'll reserve judgement.
I didn't play Revelations. Stopped playing the RE games after 5. 5 was great 2 player, but sucked as a RE game.

Martius

Liturgist
Because with this game Capcom at least focused a bit on making it scary. Mostly thanks to working on weaker handheld since they shoved few levels with just shooting anyway. There is also hd version on pc/ps3/360, just try not to look on all these low res textures.
I wonder what they will do this time. It wont be released on 3ds so maybe they will just go full retard and make it more like RE6.

Ebonsword

Arcane
It wont be released on 3ds so maybe they will just go full retard and make it more like RE6.

I'm hoping that they won't do that. I kind of thought the point of Revelations was to go back to more "old school" gameplay, so it doesn't seem to make much sense to keep the Revelations name if they're just going to make it like RE6.

Of course, this is Capcom, who seem to be immensely capable of doing retarded crap for no reason.

Dr Tomo

Learned
  • Claire Redfield will return as the playable lead and it is said that “In the time since we last saw her (Claire), she’s grown to be a seasoned veteran.
  • Claire will be joined throughout the campaign with Moira Burton, daughter of the legendary Barry Burton.
  • The campaign will be playable in co-op or singleplayer.
  • When playing as Claire, her style will be more combat focused. Whereas Moira will be supplying Claire with health herbs, provided the flashlight and general support.
  • Claire will be the only player death that will result in a Game Over, one of Moira’s key roles will be to help keep Claire alive (though Claire can obviously heal herself).
  • The story will take place on an abandoned island detention facility.
  • The campaign will begin with Claire and Moira awakening after being abducted.
  • The events will take place between the events of Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6.
  • Gameplay will be much more Survival Horror orientated (much like the first Resident Evil: Revelations), bringing the series back to its roots with less over the top action, unlike Resident Evil 5 and 6.
  • Fan feedback has played a part in the development of Resident Evil: Revelations 2. Producer Okabe said that “The project has been finding the line between listening to fan feedback and also doing something different to confound expectations.
  • Okabe also said that “I want this to be both a game that doesn’t lose what made its predecessor great, while also bringing something new and exciting to the Resident Evil series.” He also added that “Achieving that lofty goal by bringing together past and future will make this an itchy-tasty prospect indeed.
  • Resident Evil: Revelations 2 will feature a new “Afflicted” enemy type, which “may look like zombies, but are in fact something quite different.
  • The Afflicted enemy will be both fast and able to deal heavy damage to the player. It is also said that they will force the player to decide whether to take them head-on, sneak up using stealth and applying a take-down or the player can run for the hills and “preserve ammo”.
  • Resident Evil: Revelations 2 will run at 1080p and 60fps (for the PC and new gen versions at least).

Tehdagah

Arcane
The Last of Evil :M

PnyPwa4.jpg

More:

http://i.imgur.com/fsL5xXX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/J5FuGom.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tOmPdQT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/E6ZZqA8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/x84DYlR.jpg

I actually feel myself relieved. Thought that Capcom would ruin RE7 prioritizing emotional engagement/immershun over gameplay mechanics.

Magazine said:
Gameplay will be much more Survival Horror orientated (much like the first Resident Evil: Revelations), bringing the series back to its roots with less over the top action, unlike Resident Evil 5 and 6.
I found cute that they took Resident Evil 4 out of the equation. RE4 game turned Leon into a hollywood action hero.

Martius

Liturgist
All that sounds good but RE5 and 6 were also supposed to be going back into survival horror so its hard for me to believe in their words alone. Anyway I dont have problem if series is going more into action as long its done well.
Hm, its not looking as good as 6. I wonder if thats just because of scans or maybe Capcom finally thought about balancing budget (or they just dont have other choice).

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"Going back to the survival horror roots of the series" is the mantra of every new RE game. And none of them have made good on it. Revelations had less ridiculous shit in it because it was under 3DS hardware constraints, it still felt like RE4 or 5 with its over the shoulder shooting and general lack of exploration.

Martius

Liturgist
Well, development of 4 was already messed up enough. First Kamiya wanted to try more action approach and thanks to that we have Devil May Cry. After that Mikami scrapped at least one prototype and Capcom made deal with Nintendo. Looks like Capcom just lacks anyone with direct idea how to move series forard.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
The sad thing is that the series was moving forward organically: Resident Evil 3 added things like gunpowder mixing to create different ammo, the dodge system, and branching paths in the story; the Resident Evil remake on the Gamecube had a fantastic engine (the game looked better than RE4), added defense items, and generally just had incredible fucking level design and atmosphere; RE 0 added two playable characters at the same (though it was kind of annoying), and the ability to drop items on the ground and pick them up later.

Then RE4 comes along and white washes all of that natural iteration and makes the series into a dumbass shooter.

Edit: Resident Evil 3 also had larger, open environments, letting you run around the streets of Raccoon City to some degree (the streets were pretty much closed off hubs, but it gave the illusion of openness). Imagine a Resident Evil game that expanded on that further, with the player being dumped into an open city or whatever and given a single ultimate object but being able to reach that objective by their own path (somewhat like the way Fallout 1 worked); all while perhaps being stalked by a Nemesis-like monstrosity.

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
"Going back to the survival horror roots of the series" is the mantra of every new RE game. And none of them have made good on it.

Not sure what you're talking about. Revelations #1 actually *did* go back more to the series roots. The enemies were much more like the classic RE enemies than the stupid gun-toting minorities we got in RE5 and RE6. The environments (at least the ones on the ships) were suitably creepy. And resource management was much more important than in any RE game since Code Veronica.

*And* it had the added benefit of controlling better than any of the classic RE games.

I just hope Revelations #2 doesn't keep leaving Claire and Moira to go follow other characters--that was something that *did* annoy me in Revelations #1.

Machocruz

Arcane
They need to pull the camera back, so that the environment dwarfs the character, not the other way around. The problem with OTS camera is that it's merely a functional solution, less effective aesthetically than the cinematic angles of REmake. Silent Hill did a better job by combining a traditional behind the back view with foreboding angles at certain points.

The enemies in Revelations were lousy. Squid people or whatever the hell they were are goofy, not intimidating or creepy. And you're still doing RE4 action hero shit in the game. Please get a clue, Capcom.

Ebonsword

Arcane
"The survival horror adventure is divided into four installments, which see anti-bioterrorist agents Claire Redfield and Moira Burton attempt to escape from a detention facility teeming with monstrosities.

The episodes will be available piecemeal for $5.99 or for $24.99 as a season pass. Upon completion of the season, a boxed retail version will be sold with added content for $39.99."

http://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-revelations-2-will-be-an-episodic-series-281008.phtml

Goddamn it, CAPCOM!! Are you trying to make me hate this game? :argh:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
"Going back to the survival horror roots of the series" is the mantra of every new RE game.
RE1 was a survival horror game? do survival horror games often allow you to unlock infinite ammo rocket launchers?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i would if i hadn't played rr and deus to death already back when they were new. re1 only ever felt like survival horror on the very first playthrough and even then only until you became familiar with the controls, so really not sure what possible survival horror roots they could go back to, even if it wasn't just an empty phrase.... besides the obvious sluggish and awkward controls.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Or a proper Dino Crisis :incline:

Hell, even a RE4 treatment on Dino Crisis wouldn't been bad,
Already happened and it's called "Dino Crisis 2".

"Going back to the survival horror roots of the series" is the mantra of every new RE game.
RE1 was a survival horror game? do survival horror games often allow you to unlock infinite ammo rocket launchers?
And you can get a grenade launcher in the first 5 minutes of gameplay :M

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Unlockables are moot for a game being survival horror or not since they are meant to be overpowered and not to be taken seriously. If RE having an unlockable infinite ammo rocket launcher makes it non-survival horror, god help Silent Hill which has in one game a Sailor Moon transformation wand.

As for whether RE is good survival horror, well, that's definitely something you can debate. The fan favorite pre-RE4 game is RE2 which had loads and loads of ammunition, far more than you'd ever need and ruining the survival aspect of the game without unlocking anything. I never really felt most of the RE games had the survival aspect down right, not even the ones that actually had scarce ammo, you always knew to save magnum rounds for the bosses and you never really get put in a situation where you might need to use them before a boss.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All that sounds good but RE5 and 6 were also supposed to be going back into survival horror so its hard for me to believe in their words alone. Anyway I dont have problem if series is going more into action as long its done well.
Hm, its not looking as good as 6. I wonder if thats just because of scans or maybe Capcom finally thought about balancing budget (or they just dont have other choice).
I don't think this is true. From what I remember, RE5 was marketed at RE4 with co-op. No returning to roots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom