Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Revelations

MapMan

Arcane
Resident Evil Revelations is a RE game released over a year ago on Nintendo 3DS. Action takes place on a ship (who remembers the GBC game also set on a ship?). After a year (january 2013) they announced the game will be ported to PC and consoles. Actually, this is the first time I heard about it. There's a new video:

They talk a lot about building tension. People who played it compare it of a mix of RE4 action and mood of the older REs. This might be worth a try, given I never liked RE4 or anything released later.

Also waiting for the new horror game by the RE creator.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I nearly forgotten about this one. It's coming near the end of May, nice. The setting reminds me of Cold Fear, which was a good game. If the port will be decent I might grab it.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've heard this is the best Resident Evil game in years, but then, that might just be because it's a portable game. People tend to be impressed when handheld titles are able to deliver "console quality" graphics and presentation.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I played it for a bit on my 3DS. It looks more interesting than other RE games to me, but then the entire series is mediocre.

As always, controls are a struggle. I changed it so I could "freelook" by tilting the 3DS, which worked better, but still, awkward consolitis aiming.

I liked the sequence in the beginning where you're on a mysterious creepy beach and have to examine/scan carcasses. Reminded me of Metroid DS a little bit.

Might pick it up again at some point... if I can remember the controls...

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
IF it is a good port and this game really is RE4 like then i think i might have to get it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

People tend to be impressed when handheld titles are able to deliver "console quality" graphics and presentation.
People tend to be impressed when almost any 'famous' brand comes to the handheld market, but in most cases those games are half-assed cashgrabs.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I've heard this is the best Resident Evil game in years, but then, that might just be because it's a portable game. People tend to be impressed when handheld titles are able to deliver "console quality" graphics and presentation.
It's the best RE in years because it tries to be an actual RE game.

MapMan

Arcane
Meh, I don't understand the general hate towards RE series. Sure, the RE games never were the MOST MAJESTIC horror games evar, but they weren't horrible either. They had good mood and setting, some nice puzzles, the 2d backgrounds were nice and the tension of danger was there (due to save limits and ammo scarcity).

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Wow, 3ds games looks good. I never have seen one in action actually

Gozma

Arcane
Meh, I don't understand the general hate towards RE series. Sure, the RE games never were the MOST MAJESTIC horror games evar, but they weren't horrible either. They had good mood and setting, some nice puzzles, the 2d backgrounds were nice and the tension of danger was there (due to save limits and ammo scarcity).

There's just a lot of angles for people to use to hate them.

1) they used to be one kind of game, then they made RE4 to be a different kind of game
2) they are made by gooks
3) they are made by Capcom
4) they are popamoles now (note: they don't actually play like health regen popamoles)
5) they are cheesy-serious

I was kinda fascinated by how free mainstream game journalism felt to hate RE6 despite being full bore AAA budget. They gave it a metacritic of like 70 when the budget would give it a floor of 90 in any other case. There is strange sorcery in the mechanics of how game journalists can occasionally school-of-fish their way to finding a whipping boy to accept the sins of the industry.

I was kinda fascinated by how free mainstream game journalism felt to hate RE6 despite being full bore AAA budget. They gave it a metacritic of like 70 when the budget would give it a floor of 90 in any other case. There is strange sorcery in the mechanics of how game journalists can occasionally school-of-fish their way to finding a whipping boy to accept the sins of the industry.

Because Capcom doesn't have the power to embargo them from reviewing the next CoD a month ahead of time. That's really all there is to it. The more power the publisher/developer wields the better scores they get.

MapMan

Arcane

There's just a lot of angles for people to use to hate them.

1) they used to be one kind of game, then they made RE4 to be a different kind of game
2) they are made by gooks
3) they are made by Capcom
4) they are popamoles now (note: they don't actually play like health regen popamoles)
5) they are cheesy-serious

Maybe I should specify that when I say RE i pretty much mean everything before RE4.

Gozma

Arcane
Maybe I should specify that when I say RE i pretty much mean everything before RE4.

1-3 and the Dreamcast one were how you do "cinematic" adventureish games on PS1 with prerendered cinematically-angled single-camera backgrounds and the relative position tank controls you need for constantly-varying single-camera backgrounds. There's nothing terribly wrong with them, but it's a pretty gimmicky control-display-genre niche that happened to be a good fit for the hardware it originated on (CD storage space, but almost no rendering power).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Glanced at a youtube video -- third person over the shoulder shooter. Really, guys?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
At least the early ones weren't crappy over the shoulder shooters.

Dumbfuck.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The fixed camera helped making RE1/2 a bit scarier because you couldn't see shit immediately and had to rely more on sound. Also limited ammo and sparse typewriters. Sound is more important than anything in horror games.

The illiterate, impatient mainstream dumbfuck gamer though disagrees.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Wish they would make another Outbreak. It and Resident Evil: 0 made some interesting changes, most in the direction of further complexity, to the series without relinquishing what made the originals stand out. Shame they decided to throw all that development away and white-wash the series with simplicity.

This one looks like the best RE in a long time, but that's really not saying much - and I feel like every time a new RE is announced there are people who claim it is "returning to the survival horror roots!", so far it's been 100% bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom