Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

review bombing

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Dear Rob Fahey please go and suck some black tranny hooker,and catch a bunch of stds.

Dexter

Arcane
This is the crux; the problem is not technological, it's philosophical. Valve clearly has a strong philosophy and political standpoint about how online services should work and about how the freedom of users (including users who haven't actually bought a game but still want to give it a 1-star review and call its creator a variety of colourful names) should be balanced against the protection of creators' livelihoods. Moreover, it has a belief that where problems do arise, they can be fixed with more data and tweaked algorithms; this reflects the broad Silicon Valley ideological fervour about the power and purity of algorithms, which conveniently ignores the extraordinary degree to which code that deals with human behaviour tends to reflect the implicit biases of its authors. Valve absolutely knows it could fix this issue with tighter rules, more human supervision and, yes, some better algorithms to report back to those supervisors; it just doesn't want to do that, because that's not its philosophy.
You forgot to point out the best part.

Bought on a specific platform != possesses and/or played
I was thinking more along the lines of there only being "Recommended" and "Not Recommended" on Steam and no "1-star review"'s and how only paying customers who actually purchased and own a game can review a game/product on Steam, so basically aside from being a tendentious piece of horse-crap and an attempt at political activism, the author clearly has no fucking idea what he is talking about and no experience with Steams review system on top.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Nice catch Dexter. I've skimmed far too much bile for my own good today. Seems like all the journos gotta slip in a hot take before the weekend.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Those wacky Chinese are at it again:

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/pubg-hit-with-over-15000-negative-reviews-on-steam-w506565

Basically, Chinese servers are toasters and 'how dare they' show ads in a bought game!, (which I must admit is a bit shit, but I don't play this pointless game anyway.)

CX7Ggxe.jpg

:hahyou:

Gerrard

Arcane
In before you can block certain languages from the total score.

passerby

Arcane
Publisher can use separate app id for the same game in different regions, this is one way to bypass chinese reviews in the future.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Publisher can use separate app id for the same game in different regions, this is one way to bypass chinese reviews in the future.
The thing they are aiming for is locking out negative reviews publishers might not like (so they can see and boast about 99% positive reviews badge on the store page, while 3/4 overall reviews are negative ones, b-b-b-ut it's troll bombing), not language.

pippin

You can filter reviews by language already, and I think reviews tagged as "funny" don't add up to the game's score.

Gerrard

Arcane

You can filter reviews by language already, and I think reviews tagged as "funny" don't add up to the game's score.
You can filter reviews, but it doesn't remove their score from the total. If you could see the total of only selected languages that would be quite interesting.

Black Angel

Arcane
The irony continues. Why wouldn't it? This time "bombing" is conflated with in-game "harassment" too, because why not? Emphasis mine. http://archive.is/ODcm0
Blizzard knuckles down on community as Valve fiddles
A few graphs won't fix review bombing and abuse; if Valve wants tips, it could look to the tough decisions and hard work Blizzard is doing on Overwatch
Rob Fahey

Ultimately, though, the work Blizzard is doing on Overwatch - and that other companies that genuinely care about this issue, such as League of Legends creator Riot, are doing on their games -
is about people, not algorithms. Clever design and good code gets you so far in managing human behaviour, but there will always be a subset of people who get their kicks from aggressively ruining other people's fun, and will devote themselves to learning to game any system you throw in their way. For them, harassment and abuse is the game, more so than the game itself; to deal with them, ultimately, you need living, breathing people empowered to make good decisions on behalf of the community.
Wait a fucking second. Are they..... are they trying to say League of Legends creator, Riot, 'genuinely care about this issue', and 'the work they're doing on their games is about people, not algorithm'? Really?

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wait a fucking second. Are they..... are they trying to say League of Legends creator, Riot, 'genuinely care about this issue', and 'the work they're doing on their games is about people, not algorithm'? Really?
When I started this thread it was under the naive belief that there was an actual nuanced discussion to be had on the subject. It has since become apparent that this is merely another vector from which faggots hope to clamp down on "hate speech" and "toxicity". That video is a perfect example of their endgame -- online gaming as a safe space hugbox moderated by babbies who confuse bantz with hate and have no regard for existing norms. I still think review bombing should have a separate thread from GG for easier navigation and to act as a host for the odd genuine opinion, but the line between the two topics is practically nonexistent at this point.

pippin

To be fair LoL has probably one of the worst communities of all time, so it's not something we can possibly take as a "normal" example.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
To be fair LoL has probably one of the worst communities of all time, so it's not something we can possibly take as a "normal" example.
Well,most people there go to vent and shit talk. If you make the game feelings friendly,not many people will play it.

pippin

But i think they entirely removed like the chat room thing they had? It's not the first time the playerbase has been on the spotlight for its shit behavior, and yes, Dunkey was completely right, then again, most lol players are underage kids.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Still LoL without its toxicity will be nothing. If you take the freedom to shout NIGGERNIGGERNIGGER ,all the kids will leave for a game that they can shout.

abija

Prophet
Blizzard is way behind valve in handling toxicity yet random journalist praises them because their PR was well written :D

Cael

Arcane
Review bombing is really just another extension of the whole freedom to critique thing. You can't say that restaurant critics, for example don't have personal biases. Go bill one of them for the food and see what they say about your restaurant. The main thing is to actually READ the reviews. If there is a bunch of "EA SUCKS!!!", no matter how true the sentiment is, you might want to actually find one that talks about the game. In fact, find a few before making up your mind.

As for the Mainlanders, they are nothing but a bunch of spoilt brats, the result of their One Child Policy. 2 parents and 4 grandparents all doting on their "Little Prince(ss)" for their whole lives, and brainwashed by their totalitarian government into thinking they are the best in the world and up yours for not thinking so. I ignore the louts as a general rule.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom