Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

laclongquan

Arcane
Nearly end of Tremere version.
On part of gameplay, I dont use Tremere Thaumaturgy as much as I intend. Blood Strike is extremely useful as it bring back blood if you have time, and a good tool to strike boss, either early or late game. I dont use Blood Shield nearly as much as I should because the blood body image look ugly. If you play in 1st vision instead of 3rd, then yeah, it's pretty powerful.
Auspex is still as useful as ever. I keep it running nearly all the time.
Dominate also useful especially at 1st level.

Feeling of outcast, as we have to stay at that ratty apartment in Monica until Hollywood.

On part of writing: bah~ Not much different from Torreador or Ventrue. Next run I get Malk and Malk again~

baturinsky

Arcane
So the fae charm is incredibly bugged. Instead of giving +1 Dexterity it substitutes your latest dot of dexterity. Meaning that I had 3 Dex when I received it, I still have 3 Dex but if I drop it, I get reduced to 2 dex.

EDIT: Wait, on reload I can see the problem spawned earlier. I have a save from the cemetary with 3 dots of dex, then 1 hour later, before receiving fae charm, my dex has dropped to 2. What gives?

I suspect it's debuff from your armor

Naraya

Arcane
Seeing this game is on sale at GoG (again), I got to ask: if I'm completely not interested in the general "vampiric stuff", would I enjoy this game? I know it gets a ton of praise but I'm afraid the theme would completely miss the spot for me... Any opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

Seeing this game is on sale at GoG (again), I got to ask: if I'm completely not interested in the general "vampiric stuff", would I enjoy this game? I know it gets a ton of praise but I'm afraid the theme would completely miss the spot for me... Any opinions?

If you appreciate atmosphere, fluid and colourful dialog, interesting, unusual, and vivid characters, and a story which unfolds beautifully, then you will find a lot to like about it.

If clunky moment-to-moment gameplay (especially combat), relatively linear story progression, or vampires are a serious turn-off, then you won't.

pippin

It actually isn't an average vampire game, setting or whatever. If you're associating vampiric stuff with Ann Rice or Twilight shit, then it isn't. It's mostly an rpg with factions, c&c, excellent characters and great atmosphere with a vampire theme.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Another bug that hasn't been fixed: spinning blades room @ Fu Syndicate. The door to the next room never unlocks, no matter what you do. Had to no-clip it.

Prime Junta

Another bug that hasn't been fixed: spinning blades room @ Fu Syndicate. The door to the next room never unlocks, no matter what you do. Had to no-clip it.

It opened for me.

Shoot the control thingies that are in the niches at the left end of the room.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It opened for me.

Shoot the control thingies that are in the niches at the left end of the room.

Loved the spoiler :P

The problem is precisely that the door does not unlock under no conditions - stopping the blades doesn't help. It's a known savegame bug that can only be fixed by noclipping or reloading a save from before you started the trials. I'm surprised at all the classic bugs still in here after so many unofficial patches, but I guess most of these are a problem with core coding.

Sykar

Arcane
According to the books, low generation vampires have powers that are literally described as "plot device". They can do almost anything. If cabbie is indeed Caine, lowering your PCs generation would be a piece of cake, and in fact I think that was even an example of what a powerful vampire could do in the anniversary edition.

However, that "lowering your generation" thing is working awfully specific.
E.g. your blood pool stays the same during the entire game. The only thing that requires a low generation besides that is resisting LaCroix' domination attempt in the end (which he succeeds with before) and that can be done through willpower as well.
You also never have any specific "jump" in power - you gain XP extremely fast, but that's it - it's still pretty smooth and linear.

Iirc the blood pool was the same from 13th to 8th generation.

Gord

Arcane
I think attribute maximum, maybe discipline max as well?
Also the amount of blood points you can spend in PnP per round was tied to your gen.

I've not played it much, though, so I'm not exactly an expert and it's been a long time for me as well.

Old One

Arcane
Your scepticism is understandable but unwarranted. Modern vampire stuff annoys me a lot, but I still liked Bloodlines. It's great.

Naraya

Arcane
Thanks for the responses. To be clear - I'm not completely "anti" -- for example from movies standpoint I enjoyed Underworld, somewhat enjoyed "True Blood" series (until it went to shit), also I love CB "Undying" and "Hellsing" anime series - just to name a few.

So I think I'll give it a spin! :)

Naraya

Arcane
^ Yeah well, I think what I meant was that I am totally off put by stuff like "Twilight" (never seen or read this but I know enough...).

duchU

Educated
[...] but I guess most of these are a problem with core coding.

Well, maybe Codex could make a petition for releasing source code for Bloodlines and after gathering several hundreds approvals post it on Paradox forum or something. Cos in other case those bugs will be still there even with Unofficial Patch +30...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well I'm done. What a joyful romp. A lot of sore spots that I didn't notice back when I was a teen and everything was awesome. Game is fairly childish and through-and-through campy, but overall the ideas are sound. They don't make 'em like this anymore lads.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
My Tremere is waaaaay done. Currently I am in the middle of Malk run.

Obsfucate is a core experience of Malkavian. Without it, Malk play in exploration and combat is not that different from other runs" Auspex to raise defense and battlefield intelligence, and Bloodbuff melee or gun.We can do Dementate but why bother? Or at least, not yet.

The reason Obsfucate is essential for Malkavian is because of the whisper that started whenever Malk is crouching, in shadow. It seems to be strengthened by that discipline (maybe) and become noticable.

Noddy

Augur
Alright lads i've got it.

Caine dominates you into accepting domination by LaCroix in order not to reveal your generation. Later on he undominates and you can resist.

IRONCLAD EXPLANATION

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom