Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

Wesp5

Arcane
Googled a bit, and found "cl_v_geometric_detail", but it probably does something else.

I think I tested this and some others I found for Source engine games. Most are accepted in Bloodlines but still using the fire hydrant as example I can never get it to stop the LOD effect!

By free camera I meant free fly (similar to noclip). As far as I know there are some camera settings, but they only allow you to move it around the character.

Oh, I have never heard about something like that...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
HansDampf
Read with comprehension please. The situation you're referring to applies to vanilla only, in Wesp5's patch it's become very easy, you can even do this quest with only fists or almost any gun (and no celerity) and now it's even easier.
Exactly my opion! Maxing out the stats and weapons and coming back latter to solve this quest is pure meta-gaming that only works when you already know how hard it is...
But after your nerf it's not necessary to get the best equipment and max out your stats. It was super hard in the vanilla, in plus patch you made it easy and now it's too easy. From the extreme "only the best can do it" you went to "anyone can do it". Both solutions are bad IMO.

Momock

Augur
Easy? I still can't do it with my 10 melee character... what is the secret to win this quest?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The secret is that this is a shitty combat quest, so just bring Romero a whore and forget about it.

Wesp5

Arcane
Setting the strength of the cemetery gates is easy using Python, maybe I should do a poll of who thinks the current quest is too easy and who thinks it's still too hard?

Last edited:

Old One

Arcane
Have you guys never heard of the simple way to do the cemetery gates quest?

As soon as it starts, run all the way down behind the mausoleum and just sit there in the dark. There's one zombie girl that will slowly shamble toward you. Do not shoot her, or any other zombie. If she gets too close, run away, but stay in one of the corners behind the mausoleum. Eventually the timer will run out and you'll win.

Messing around with the zombies makes more of them spawn, so if you avoid them entirely there won't be enough to break the gates before the timer runs out.

Gregz

Arcane
Setting the strength of the cemetery gates is easy using Python, maybe I should do a poll of who thinks the current quest is too easy and who thinks it's still too hard?

Biggest problem with that quest is that's it's trivial for certain builds, and impossible for others. Strengthening the gate is a fix, but not a very satisfying one.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think its fine how it is now, a challenging part of a game that doesn't really have many of those.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Biggest problem with that quest is that's it's trivial for certain builds, and impossible for others. Strengthening the gate is a fix, but not a very satisfying one.
There is a very satisfying fix for that already, and it's called "Pimpin' for Romero".

A big part of the appeal of the quest lies in how frantic it is. It's obviously geared towards certain builds, but so what? That's why they included an alternative for it. It's an optional, isolated and kind of out-of-place homage to zombie movies that doesn't really affect anything else in the game. Making it easier completely ruins it.

Lhynn

Arcane
Quests and content that is for some players but leaves out others is one of the reasons i love rpgs.

What the fuck is this faggotry of wanting to do everything regardless as what you play as?

Quests and content that is for some players but leaves out others is one of the reasons i love rpgs.

What the fuck is this faggotry of wanting to do everything regardless as what you play as?

VtM:B is largely a 'quests for everyone'...but not 'everyone can do the quest in the same way', and definitely not 'everyone can get the best reward for that quest' (e.g. Jeanette/Therese).

Which is exactly how that quest is designed. Classes with abilities + builds that allow them to move quickly and kill massive numbers of zombies can pass it, celerity makes it easy, all the other builds + classes can just go get Romero a prostitute for the same reward.

I'd also argue that the simplicity of that alternative + the off-hand manner in which it is presented, shows that Troika discovered that the combat option was too difficult for many builds/classes, and specifically chose not to make it easier, instead adding an ultra-easy alternative so that players didn't feel like they were being punished for a quest that was just a bit of light side-show fun.

Lhynn

Arcane

VtM:B is largely a 'quests for everyone'...but not 'everyone can do the quest in the same way', and definitely not 'everyone can get the best reward for that quest' (e.g. Jeanette/Therese).

Which is exactly how that quest is designed. Classes with abilities + builds that allow them to move quickly and kill massive numbers of zombies can pass it, celerity makes it easy, all the other builds + classes can just go get Romero a prostitute for the same reward.
Ive done it melee as a ventrue. My advice would be to git gud.
But yeah, if you cant just solve it in another way.

Sykar

Arcane

Just get a Hooker or screw him yourself if you are female in that case.

Wesp5

Arcane

I completely agree to that, which is why I fixed the two only quests that were clan bound in the plus version of my patch.

Classes with abilities + builds that allow them to move quickly and kill massive numbers of zombies can pass it, celerity makes it easy...

But I disagree to that! I come from a FPS background and played a Toreador with high firearms and Celerity and there was no way I could do that quest at the time it was presented! I did make it after coming back much latter, but to me that is still bad game design and I would really like to know how many of you, who think this quest easy for a combat build, did it successfully on their first playthrough without reloading a lot of times which is quite unusal for any other quest in Bloodlines?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My advice now and forever is not to nerf that quest difficulty. There are already alternatives for non-combat builds and even combat builds that can't hack it. Leave some difficulty in the mid of the game.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

I completely agree to that, which is why I fixed the two only quests that were clan bound in the plus version of my patch.

Classes with abilities + builds that allow them to move quickly and kill massive numbers of zombies can pass it, celerity makes it easy...

But I disagree to that! I come from a FPS background and played a Toreador with high firearms and Celerity and there was no way I could do that quest at the time it was presented! I did make it after coming back much latter, but to me that is still bad game design and I would really like to know how many of you, who think this quest easy for a combat build, did it successfully on their first playthrough without reloading a lot of times which is quite unusal for any other quest in Bloodlines?

It's been a while, but I don't remember having an excessive amount of trouble with it my first time. I was a celerity & guns toreador, but I am also a completionist, so its very possible that when I got around to doing it I was more leveled than the average player would be on their first time.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
Tremere could do it with minimal investment using only Thaumaturgy

(it's UP+ 7.7 but same strategy would work in vanilla)

Jazz_

Arcane
Tremere is very OP imo, well at least compared to Ventrue, I have only played the game extensively with those 2 clans so far.

Prime Junta

I can only manage the Romero quest at the time I get it if I've built a character more or less specifically with it in mind, or of course by leaving it for later. Most of the time I just don't bother.

OTOH I never was a huge fan of that type of challenge, so perhaps you should ignore my take on it. It's not a bad thing that there's one -- one -- quest for twitch gods in there.

Latelistener

Arcane
I completed it on my first walkthrough too, as a Tremere, but I did reload a few times. My comrade back then did it as a Ventrue with firearms.
But for a character with high Celerity and combat skills it is a cakewalk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom