Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

HansDampf

Arcane
But probably you prefer the immersion breaking weapons-disappearing-before-your-eyes or hero-isn't-able-to-get-an-enemy-weapon-out-of-his-dead-hands approach. I don't! Honestly the problem here is Celerity, which is quite overpowered at high levels. As is almost every other discipline, after all your vampire is to be a supernatural bad ass :)!
One of the Sabbat guys that Jack kills in the tutorial has an UZI which drops and disappears right before your eyes.

Old One

Arcane
One thing I notice from my current Tremere game - and I don't see any mention of it in the changelog - is that Lily is mad at me after she returns to the beach, and I have no idea why.
The patch changed nothing there but she gets angry if you ask for money to stay silent.
Okay. This may be worth looking into further. I'll try it again and see if I can reproduce it a third time. Unless I accidentally hit the wrong response or something, I don't know why she would be mad. I wasn't mean to her and I didn't ask her for money either time. This only happens with a Tremere, as far as I can tell.

It should be possible to kill the outside one if people are deep inside the maze, so maybe this could happen in an update.
That would be a slick solution.

Wesp5

Arcane
One of the Sabbat guys that Jack kills in the tutorial has an UZI which drops and disappears right before your eyes.

Yeah, I really hate this! Compared to the difference between knife and Shin Gunto or fireaxe, it would really tip the balance off. Like written above, for me it is immersion > balance, but there are limits! The guys the Sheriff killed would have dropped Uzis as well and I'm also annoyed about all the disappearing corpses...

Wesp5

Arcane
Are you going to have voice acting in it?

The Prelude is not my mod and I guess at first there won't be any voices. Maybe if it is a hit, the fans can help creator EntenSchreck out?

Old One

Arcane
I can't reproduce the Tremere/Lily problem I was having, so I assume it was my error in some way, even though I have no idea what I could have done to anger her. The only possibility I didn't rule out completely was a really poor reaction from Toreador thin-blood Lily to a low-Humanity Tremere.

I'm well into my Ventrue game now. It's interesting how much more positively most other vamps react to a high-Humanity Ventrue compared to a low-Humanity Tremere. Tremere must be the most universally unpopular PC clan in the vamp world of Bloodlines. No one much likes them.

The camera thing with the Voerman sisters wasn't nearly as bad this time, but it was still there. Most of the time the camera flips back and forth between them instantly, which is very effective, but sometimes it does a short, slow pan from one to the other. The pan really doesn't work. I'm not sure why it was more frequent in my Tremere experience.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I'm well into my Ventrue game now. It's interesting how much more positively most other vamps react to a high-Humanity Ventrue compared to a low-Humanity Tremere. Tremere must be the most universally unpopular PC clan in the vamp world of Bloodlines. No one much likes them.

They are newcomers to the vampire world. While most Clans are easily older than Christianity, the Tremere usurped Clan Salubri in like 1050 CE. The Salubri had good PR as far as Vampires go, so nobody likes the Tremere who killed off most of them.

Delterius

Arcane

They are newcomers to the vampire world. While most Clans are easily older than Christianity, the Tremere usurped Clan Salubri in like 1050 CE. The Salubri had good PR as far as Vampires go, so nobody likes the Tremere who killed off most of them.
But then the blood witches bullshitted everyone into hating the Salubri more. Reason why people don't like Tremere much is because they are secretive and magical.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

But then the blood witches bullshitted everyone into hating the Salubri more. Reason why people don't like Tremere much is because they are secretive and magical.

That's the reason Neonates and Ancillae hate them. Elders and Methuselahs, on the other hand, continue to see upstarts who reach for that which they don't deserve.

Old One

Arcane
While most Clans are easily older than Christianity, the Tremere usurped Clan Salubri in like 1050 CE. The Salubri had good PR as far as Vampires go, so nobody likes the Tremere who killed off most of them.
Thanks. I'm no WoD expert but I remember reading something about that.

In browsing the data files for Bloodlines, I notice everyone dislikes the Tremere. For other clans like Ventrue, there's an opposite clan like Brujah, and obviously the two don't get along well, but Ventrue also have clans that do like them just like Brujah have clans that like them.

Wesp5

Arcane
In browsing the data files for Bloodlines, I notice everyone dislikes the Tremere.

If you mean the reactions stats in the npctemplates by this, I don't think they were ever implemented. Normally this is done in the dialogues themselves by checking for clan and or Humanity level. As for the Tourette camera issue, do you have a save nearby to retry and post what line is spoken when the slow pan happens? Maybe I can look into this then...

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
For a first time playthrough what would be a good choice to have a fun experience with good social skills for dialogue and at least one dependable combat skills so I dont get butt raped in the Sewers?
I am leaning for a Toreador pretty boy so I can do a second run with a Malkevian or Nosferatu chick

Old One

Arcane
For a first time playthrough what would be a good choice to have a fun experience with good social skills for dialogue and at least one dependable combat skills so I dont get butt raped in the Sewers?
I am leaning for a Toreador pretty boy so I can do a second run with a Malkevian or Nosferatu chick
A Frequently Asked Question, to be sure.

I always recommend simply doing the quiz method for your first Bloodlines character. It sounds like you already have a type in mind, so you'll probably end up with something that fits.

If you have a specific idea of what you want technically, then Toreador is a solid choice for what you describe. Most of the combat is easy in the beginning (meaning you shouldn't have much of a problem no matter what you do), but if you build for firearms, you'll start to get access to some powerful weapons by the middle of the game. The guns you get in the early game are weak, but it shouldn't matter much.

Another possibility is Ventrue. They have extra dialogue options from Domination and good, generalized combat disciplines.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
A Frequently Asked Question, to be sure.

I always recommend simply doing the quiz method for your first Bloodlines character. It sounds like you already have a type in mind, so you'll probably end up with something that fits.

If you have a specific idea of what you want technically, then Toreador is a solid choice for what you describe. Most of the combat is easy in the beginning (meaning you shouldn't have much of a problem no matter what you do), but if you build for firearms, you'll start to get access to some powerful weapons by the middle of the game. The guns you get in the early game are weak, but it shouldn't matter much.

Another possibility is Ventrue. They have extra dialogue options from Domination and good, generalized combat disciplines.
I like to play sneaky types but have access to some good dialogue and basically enjoy the game... you never get to replay your first playthrough so I want some skills to get a hang on how the game plays

Old One

Arcane
I like to play sneaky types but have access to some good dialogue and basically enjoy the game... you never get to replay your first playthrough so I want some skills to get a hang on how the game plays
The sneakiest types are Nosferatu and Malkavian (they both have Obfuscate, which is invisibility), although any clan can be sneaky if you build it that way, so Toreador or Ventrue will both work.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
For a first time playthrough what would be a good choice to have a fun experience
If you only play once in your life, play as Malkavian.

If you're going to play more than once, don't play Malkavian your first time.
Since I prefer to replay the game I love rather than playing new games I am saving Malkavian for a future playthough since from what I have heard their cookiness changes the dialogue a lot I rather play with another clan to start off with
Ok so it sounds like Obfuscate and Celerity are two of the skills I will pick to start off

Prime Junta

Since I prefer to replay the game I love rather than playing new games I am saving Malkavian for a future playthough since from what I have heard their cookiness changes the dialogue a lot I rather play with another clan to start off with

The really cool thing about the Malk is that once you've played the game once, you get a lot of hints about what's really going on if you pay close attention to what they're saying and what the voices are whispering to them. There's a shitton of mystical mad insight there. You will completely miss it if you do that on your first play-through.

If you intend going with multiple playthroughs, the Toreador and Ventrue are good starters. Both are archetypical vampires -- Toreadors the pale-romantic kind, Ventrues the masterful, scary kind. Tremere are OP and they have some cool twists for a later playthrough. Nosferatu are fucking-A but, again, IMO better reserved for a second playthrough. Gangrel and Brujah are kind of meh IMO.

Ok so it sounds like Obfuscate and Celerity are two of the skills I will pick to start off

Yep both are good. Auspex is great also especially once you switch to firearms. Obfuscate makes some areas really, really easy but is pretty much useless in the hardest fights.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
I prefer to replay the game I love rather than playing new games
No matter what you do don't spread your skills wide, specialize. You will have more shit to see on next run. Toreodor seductive chick, Gangrel with low humanity, Brujah with high intimidation, everyone has interesting dialogues here and there, even Nosferatu. Also if you want sneaky Toreodor use "Presence".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom