Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Riddick and Far Cry VS Half Life and Doom

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Alright. Attempting to remove from inventory as we speak. Only repacks. Hopefully i won't get my shit infected.

Kontra

Educated
Shit i forgot! If you have a Radeon yuo wont be able to turn on the soft shadows... So i hope you have an Nvidia.

Yeah the fucking remake is bad. Graphical "improvements" only make it look worse and it's also checkpoints only, no quicksave. Play original with forced MSAA from graphics control panel, looks good enough to this day.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Where do you guys get your Nvidia graphics cards? The high end ones are always sold out everywhere or are being scalped. I'm always having to go with Radeon for high end gfx cards simply because they are actually available.

J1M

Arcane
Republic Commando had many traits of modern cinematic shooters, and it really shows its console origins in every possible way when compared with PC-first SW shooters that preceded it, but all that (and game's generally shittier elements, like timed section, bunch of sections with potentially infinitely spawning enemies...) is easier to swallow due to game's fun lite tactical element and its overall "coolness".
The ghost ship section with endlessly spawning droids was one of the best parts of Republic Commando. Unlike a Call of Duty monster closet, the endless nature of the challenge is clearly communicated to the player and is a key element of what makes that challenge fun.

Kontra

Educated
You want to talk about the FPS genre and you didn't even played one of the best when it comes to enemy AI and quality of levels ?

Well good point so to correct that im playing Unreal right now. I always thought its just a MP shooter, like Quake... So i skipped it. The only MP i ever played was Counter STrike.

Anyway Unreal is good, and pretty fun actually. The AI is good but still not as good as FCs mercs. The mercs can swim too i forgot that. But these are monsters basically so i guess i cant ask for anything too special... They do have their moments though. For now, theyre good for what they are (maybe they get better later?).

One thing that sucks however is the puzzles. Its the same HL bullshit again. The one with the fan really pissed me off! Why would anyone put something like that in a shooter??

Another thing is the jumping. Its too damn twitchy... Or maybe i just suck but i think its the other way around. I somehow always overshoot it and spend like 2 minutes trying to get up on some damn blocks... Really jumping shouldnt be this hard, but it is. It sucks.

The levels are good though... If i read right one of the maps was made by Cliff Blezzinski?? Wow didnt he make those lame cover shooters, Gears of war? So what happened why did he turn to the dark side?

Ah, Unreal. Probably my favorite FPS of all time.

When people talk about Unreal AI they generaly mean the Skaaraj AI. Later in the game it really represents some of the best AI ever seen in FPS, with them aggressively attacking, effortlessly dodging fire, falling back when wounded, even playing dead occasionally. It feels less like playing against normal FPS enemies and more like playing against really good bots, only in a single player game. Really good stuff.

Last edited:

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just want to say that Unreal 2 was a HUGE disappointment!:S
50.png

I have extremely mixed and complex feelings towards Legend.

Riskbreaker

You're not the only one. Weirdest thing is that they actually crafted one gorgeous, unique Unreal engine (kind of) FPS few years before... that. 'Twas even more impressive since it was based on property that was, by all accounts, in no was a FPS-friendly material. And yet it worked, and their game was fun, classy, creative and gorgeous to behold.
So, if one played their Wheel of Time game, there was no reason for one to be to doubtful of their ability to handle new singleplayer Unreal title, even if one was less that enthusiastic about their work on first Unreal's expansion pack.
And yet, they made... that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angthoron

Arcane
Ah, fucking Unreal 2. I remember looking at screenshots in a magazine preview, the dynamic fire and all the eyecandy and thinking wow, Unreal is coming back, looking even better, and surely they won't be able to fuck up the AI, it's only gonna get better from here, how can you fucking regress an already existing AI and scripts and design? You can't! It never even crossed my mind. Hell, I was so sure of it. Remember all the custom levels and mods and shit? Even I tried my hand at level design and tweaks in Unreal Editor and it was such a great tool that, like I said, I could not imagine what we'd get is fucking Unreal 2.

And then it came out. Fuck. FUCK.

U1, hands down one of the best shooters out there, ridiculously good (and adaptive) AI on Skaarj... Although if you tweak AI of the bots in the editor, you can get some very interesting things out of a Titan or a Krall, even. U2 is... well, fucking Bono ruined it. I hope he's happy about his fucking jet.

Also yeah, FC1 bot AI can be very surprising, there were a few times it went completely off rail on me, especially on that area that happens after the derelict tanker.

What I don't get is how AI these days is so fucking shit, considering Unreal 1 had such a good AI 17 years ago already

tormund

Arcane
Unreal 2 is one of most WTF sequels ever. It is remarkable how there is nothing of Unreal left in that game, it is just typical generic, slowass console SF FPS of its era.

Kontra

Educated
Alright! The game is progressing slowly... It seems some of my criticism was unfounded. I got the hang of jumping so i guess that was just me being a dumbass. Or at least theres no more of those stair like blocks to cause me trouble. The AI got a lot better and is now downright kicking my ass. These "monsters" as i called them seem to be technologicaly advanced species... I have a feeling i may be in over my head and may seriously regret starting the game on Unreal difficulty.

Other things i liked is the story and how its pretty simple, youre in this place and you have to escape it. I like a simple setup like that. No other unnecessary bullshit. Translating the alien language is also a neat idea.

Maps are nicely designed allaround but sometimes it gets confusing as to which way to progress... On one map, i cant remember how its called but its the one where you eventually take an elevator to some gardens? i got stuck for hours and had to use a damn walkthrough three times... The exit was in one room with a pool of green water that i could swim through and i was supposed to figure that out. Maybe i got conditioned by video games but whenever i see green in a game i think its radioactive or something and that i shouldnt touch it. And to make it worse later in the game theres water thats *kinda* green deffinately less than before, but it kills you instantly.:argh:Nice one...

Anyway this game is great. I guess it doesnt need stealth. I dont know what a hell was i thnking wiht this thread... Whatever.

Kontra

Educated
Well it was as i feared... I had to use godmode. In Decks 1 on ISV how-its-called ship. It was just too damn hard. Its like the captains log said, theres too many aliens and not enough goddamn bullets. Its like in other games when you find a log like that but here they mean it - if the crew couldnt deal with it, then you wont either bitch. Damn...

After that Sunspire and the Village up to the Outpost i finished wtih no problems. This is one long ass game, as i see im only at half of it. Its maybe even longer than FC... Hope ill finish before i get sick of it as thats always the case when i play FC. One good thing though is that my FPS skills have gone up considerably... Shit i feel like i can conquer the world after this.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You should play on normal at the first time, just to get know the game and leave the higher difficulties for later if you liked the game. Glad to hear that you liked it, you can always try Return to Na Pali. It's not as good as the base game, but for at least one playthrough it's worth a shot. The new music tracks are also great.

dunno lah

Arcane
The late game maps are pretty crazy too with the Skaarj overload. Flak was always low on ammo throughout that stretch.

Kontra

Educated
Im at the DArkening now, taking a break... Its almost over i can feel it.

Kontra

Educated
Well i did it. I beat Unreal on Unreal difficulty

I guess that was the last great game that i havent played... Now what?

tormund

Arcane
Well you CAN try the expansion... it's not nearly on par with base game, and you'll be raped hard by its human opponents if you decide to play it on unreal. I remember that there was some sort of fan made edition from few years ago with redesigned and rebalanced maps that is supposed to be good but I never tried it myself.

Kontra

Educated
I will definitely try it out but not right away... I need some time to recover.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom