Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift going free to play

made

Arcane
It has changed a lot since beta though, still a wow clone, but if you prefer something with more then 3 abilities to press like every new action mmo has it isn't all bad.
Instead you macro all your instant/on next hit abilities and spam 3 macros.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, me and some buddies are playing Rift now. I'll probably attempt to get a Codex guild up and running some time. I'll add you in game if you play on Europe, just leave your info here and add Fanabina :)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm just waiting for it to go properly F2P. I've only got a trial account at the moment.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ Us too, though one or two of us are buying Storm Legion I think. But I think you get to keep your trial when F2P launches.

No hope of getting Vaarna_Aarne, Mystary! and the rest of the NW-crew to join the darkside for a spell? ;)

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It has changed a lot since beta though, still a wow clone, but if you prefer something with more then 3 abilities to press like every new action mmo has it isn't all bad.

Heavy use of macro was something that bothered me as well when Rift launched, but 1) you don't have to do it if you don't like it and 2) they reworked all souls and macros aren't really needed anymore. But yes, you can always pick your faceroll class and press 3 buttons if you want, but don't tell me there are mmos where this is different or that Rift is especially easy in this regard.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
^ Us too, though one or two of us are buying Storm Legion I think. But I think you get to keep your trial when F2P launches.

No hope of getting Vaarna_Aarne, Mystary! and the rest of the NW-crew to join the darkside for a spell? ;)
96vkCah.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Heavy use of macro was something that bothered me as well when Rift launched, but 1) you don't have to do it if you don't like it and 2) they reworked all souls and macros aren't really needed anymore. But yes, you can always pick your faceroll class and press 3 buttons if you want, but don't tell me there are mmos where this is different or that Rift is especially easy in this regard.

Well, Neverwinter for all its faults has a pretty good ability usage system compared to most MMOs.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hmm, I might get back to Rift, though my time is getting extremely limited now. Rather enjoyed it back then. I hope you're on the Red side and not on the Blue, the Blue suck.

Since I've played Rift a bit, I'll give some pointers for everyone thinking of jumping on.

- The player base has pretty much abandoned PvP and the PvP servers are almost dead. Open world PvP is dead. It's in effect a PvE game.
- The most populous server on EU side is Icewatch with a good amount of players. Back in January when I last played, the endgame was filled with zone events gathering 100+ players at peak times.
- Server transfers are free. Once a week you can move your char to a different server. This is a reason why a lot of guilds and players have moved to Icewatch and made it *the* EU server. I remember some foreign guilds from German/French servers moving to Icewatch in their entirety.
- Does not matter which side you roll on. Blues (religious freaks) or Reds (techies). Everyone can guild, group, chat, sail on boats together. I prefer the red starting zones and their city design. Expansion city is shared.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Since I've played Rift a bit, I'll give some pointers for everyone thinking of jumping on.

- The player base has pretty much abandoned PvP and the PvP servers are almost dead. Open world PvP is dead. It's in effect a PvE game.
- The most populous server on EU side is Icewatch with a good amount of players. Back in January when I last played, the endgame was filled with zone events gathering 100+ players at peak times.
- Server transfers are free. Once a week you can move your char to a different server. This is a reason why a lot of guilds and players have moved to Icewatch and made it *the* EU server. I remember some foreign guilds from German/French servers moving to Icewatch in their entirety.
- Does not matter which side you roll on. Blues (religious freaks) or Reds (techies). Everyone can guild, group, chat, sail on boats together. I prefer the red starting zones and their city design. Expansion city is shared.

Well Grunker, I guess you got one convert. Will reinstall Rift asap.

EDIT: Probably not today though. Legacy of Romulus comes out later this evening and I'll be damned if I'm missing fucking Romulans.

Angthoron

Arcane
I'm on Icewatch, IIRC, it was a good server back then too.
This is cool to know, thanks :)
Red starting zones are WAY better, blue starting zones/story are boring generic High Fantasy shit, while as a Red you basically pull a Terminatoresque time travel and are basically a tech-fuelled ubermench. Which is better and why?

Another tip while we're at it, though mind you, this may have changed since I played:
- Collecting and selling artifacts to collectors is a good way to make cash. In a week, I gathered enough to buy a proper mount and several epics, which is a really good pace. Just undercut the other sellers by a little bit (or match them, whatever) and you're good. More rare artifacts obviously bring in more cash.

Actually it does matter which side you roll on during the start of the game. Both sides start at different locations with their own cities and both have their own quests and zones up to the base game end zones. So if you want to quest with your mates you need to roll on the same side. While they removed the faction warfare last September, they still have guards who attack the opposite faction. So you cannot just walk into the opposing faction base, or their outposts in the world without getting ganked by them.

Instancing can be done mixed now. This wasn't possible when the game launched as it was Alliance vs. Horde all over again.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Angthoron: It doesn't matter what side people choose - we can guild regardless. There's one free server change per week so that's no issue either. I'm blue side because Ghetto Dwarves are just too cool for school.

My impressions so far in this game:

1) Game is extremely well-supported by developers.

2) PVP sucks donkey-balls. It's the standard WoW hoppy-jumpy-frantic bullshit. Would not touch. Neverwinter's PVP is leagues, LEAGUES better.

3) Dungeons, economy and customization are vastly superior to Neverwinter and most other MMOs.

4) The talent tree customization/soul system is totally baller.

5) Everything else about it is a (sometimes more) polished version of WoW except with public events. I sort of enjoyed WoW when I played it, but not enough to pay. I don't have to pay for Rift.

What I miss from WoW that isn't here:

a) Flying on Griffon-taxis through the vast overworld.

b) Riding on a fucking Griffon watching the entire, huge game-world beneath me!

c) Seeing the entire regions from bird's eye perspective on the back of a Griffon.

I'm on Icewatch, IIRC, it was a good server back then too.
This is cool to know, thanks :)
Red starting zones are WAY better, blue starting zones/story are boring generic High Fantasy shit, while as a Red you basically pull a Terminatoresque time travel and are basically a tech-fuelled ubermench. Which is better and why?

Well if you like elves, high fantasy, project eternity, you might roll on the blues. :smug:

Another tip while we're at it, though mind you, this may have changed since I played:
- Collecting and selling artifacts to collectors is a good way to make cash. In a week, I gathered enough to buy a proper mount and several epics, which is a really good pace. Just undercut the other sellers by a little bit (or match them, whatever) and you're good. More rare artifacts obviously bring in more cash.

This is true. You can make metric shit tons of platinum collecting artifacts. Fishing has it's own artifacts you cannot get anywhere else and some of those are (were?) ridiculously valuable. Mount for one artifact valuable.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I can't decide which base class to play. Warrior is very tedious, rogue is nice (but 70% of the game population are rogues) and I'm not too sure about mage.

Mystary!

Arcane
Gotta love the download system. Can start playing with 10% of the game downloaded :salute:
I have an old character but I'll probably start over from scratch because I don't remember anything about the game. So what server for EU?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I have an old character but I'll probably start over from scratch because I don't remember anything about the game. So what server for EU?

Apparently Icewatch:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I can't decide which base class to play. Warrior is very tedious, rogue is nice (but 70% of the game population are rogues) and I'm not too sure about mage.

Read up on them first! Classes work differently in this game. You can play a buff/support warrior or a melee DPS cleric, the system is very customizable.

So what server for EU?

We won't start playing for real until after June 12, but let's just say Icewatch for now. We can move server very easily if we change our minds.

Mystary!

Arcane
Allthough the defiant sounds more interesting conceptually I don't care much for playing a muslim, djinn or na'vi. But if both factions can group together I guess it doesn't matter? Or do they get different endgame gear and stuff?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom