Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift going free to play

Which Calling/Souls do you guys think is the most "fun?" My friend and I will be duo-ing the game once it goes F2P and he will inevitably pick the Mage calling so I need to choose from Cleric, Rogue, and Warrior. I assume Warrior is pretty boring so that leaves Cleric or Rogue. From my initial research, it sounds like Rogues have the same mechanic that Rogues did in WoW which is OK I guess. I'm assuming the Cleric mechanic is just normal mana?

Hard to say what is most fun as it is completely dependent on personal taste. But if you are thinking warrior as WoW warrior, think again. Warriors in Rift can even be ranged DPS. And last I played, warriors were the best DPS in the game. No one could match their pure DPS in a parse. You should roll every class and check their talent trees for each calling. That will give you the best idea what the classes can do, how they play, and how fun you perceive the abilities.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
5 plat sent grunker.

Just came to mind: I'm not on Icewatch yet because until today I just used a free account (just got the game via the RAPTR deal) :eek:

So if you're on Icewatch, you sent the money to the wrong Fanabina, or mail will be returned to sender?

o_O well, it was only 5 platin...

I can pay them back to you... but are you sure there's really someone on Icewatch called Fanabina? If there isn't, shouldn't you have gotten the e-mail back?

Anyway, money farming is much easier than I expected, so shipping 5 p's back to you shouldn't be too much of a problem.

EDIT: Those playing on Icewatch - suggestions for guild name? Typical names for Codex guilds are Knights of Codexia and Warriors of Diversity. The Village Loon, rashiakas, Zewp, Mystary!

Also important: Why don't we play on Bloodiron instead? Icewatch is full a decent amount of the time, and things'll get worse once f2p launches.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, the game population is going to boom next month anyway, so I expect most servers will see a lot more activity. It shouldn't matter if we play on a lower pop server for now.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
No return mail yet, seems someone took that name - but no problem, 5 platin isn't that much.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Which Calling/Souls do you guys think is the most "fun?" My friend and I will be duo-ing the game once it goes F2P and he will inevitably pick the Mage calling so I need to choose from Cleric, Rogue, and Warrior. I assume Warrior is pretty boring so that leaves Cleric or Rogue. From my initial research, it sounds like Rogues have the same mechanic that Rogues did in WoW which is OK I guess. I'm assuming the Cleric mechanic is just normal mana?

Depends on what "role" you want to play, but each calling has boring and more complex souls.

tindrli

Arcane
As seen http://www.riftgame.com/en/promo/freetoplay.php there. It appears to be the most free free to play I've ever seen. Only limitation on completely free players APPEARS it's going to be 2 character slots per server and 3 bag slots and no access to the 4 expansion "Souls" (Sorta mini-classes). And if you own the base game or expansion those limitations are removed.

Tried a little bit of it myself so far (You can start playing now with the "Trial" version which lets you play to level 20) and it's basically a straight WoW clone, but a well made one. Has some public quest nonsense in the form of the rifts, and seems to have some relatively neat player housing (Pocket dimensions with placeable items) and I have no idea on the PVP. Almost exactly what I wanted from a free MMO, scratches my unseemly occasional WoW urges and doesn't require $15 a month every time I wanna mindlessly grind.

On top of that, there's a promotion running from "Raptr" which will give you the base game, expansion, and a month of play time for free. http://raptr.com/game/Rift/rewards/rift-storm-legion
Got my free copy from that so I should be completely set once the game goes free to play. Quick rundown on what to do:
Step 1: Download the Rift trial and make an account. It doesn't need the full game downloaded to start playing since it'll stream and download shit in the background.
Step 2: Download the Raptr desktop app and make an account.
Step 3: Launch it and have it "Scan for games". You want Rift to show up under the "My games" button on the desktop app. If it shows up, it sees it.
Step 4: Leave Raptr running and launch Rift. The launcher/patcher doesn't count, you have to actually be able to hit the "Play" button and get to the character select screen
Step 5: Watch the lower righthand corner as Rift starts. You should get a popup telling you a shortcut to activate the Raptr overlay. If that shows up, Raptr's correctly watching it.
Step 6: Either play or idle Rift for 16-ish hours to reach the "Experienced" rating on Raptr. Once you do, go to the promotion page while logged in and get your videogame key.
Optional Step 7: Delete Raptr and burn the garbage account and garbage email you made to get the key.

Raptr nonsense wasn't too big of a pain in the ass and Rift itself seems like a good WoW-style MMO, so I'm pleased. Hope it works out well for them 'cause that free to play model seems generous as hell. Even better than STO's which was the previous most free MMO I'd seen.

is this still working??

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ They just put in more copies yesterday, so I left my raptr/RIFT running all night yesterday and got a copy of Storm Legion :love:

Dunno how many is left.

Castanova

Prophet

Depends on what "role" you want to play, but each calling has boring and more complex souls.

Well, I'll be duo-ing with a guy who's going to want to play a nuker Mage. So, I'll probably want a mix of DPS and utility. Any examples of complex souls that are fun and interesting?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Well, I'll be duo-ing with a guy who's going to want to play a nuker Mage. So, I'll probably want a mix of DPS and utility. Any examples of complex souls that are fun and interesting?

You can have up to 6 'roles' (different specs). Now at level 15 I have two and can buy my next one for 3 plat.

Mystary!

Arcane
How about Kraftworld Kodexia? :smug:
Anyway I'm playing on Icewatch at the moment. Name's Zaggesi. Going for bhami Dark Thane which I'll probably stray from eventually but I enjoy the black magic warrior archetype.
One gripe I have about these types of mmos is the insane amount of skills you get. Im level 12 and already need 2 additional hotbars for gathering, consumables, 5(!) self buffs that I need to recast every hour, a bunch of situational rift skills that I dont even know what they are for etc etc. I can only imagine how cluttered it will be at max level. Even if I wont run out of hotbars anytime soon I only got so many fingers...

Mantiis

Cipher
All 4 callings (warrior, rogue, Mage and cleric) have 9 classes. Each spec has 3 classes, so you pick 3 out of 9 to create your spec. You can have up to 6 specs and generally you have a pvp spec, solo spec for non instance overworked questing, and multiple raid specs.

Warriors can dps and tank.
Clerics can tank, heal, dps and support raids
Rogues can tank, dps and support
Mage can heal, dps, and support.

One of the greatest things About this game is the ability to change specs at will, for example in a raid you may be a tank one second and the next you can dps and because you have those multiple specs you aren't gimped when you are not in a raid. When you wana pvp you can switch to that spec, if you want to run an instance and you wanna heal Q as a healer. Awesome.

Much better game than wow but no denying it borrows heavily from it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I suggest we all gather on the Bloodiron server people - transfer to there if possible and send a mail to and friend Fanabina. That way we might hope to dodge the worst of the New Play Influx when it hits F2P. I'll start the guild pronto once we're a couple of guys.

How about Kraftworld Kodexia?

:rpgcodex:
How about Kraftworld Kodexia? :smug:
Anyway I'm playing on Icewatch at the moment. Name's Zaggesi. Going for bhami Dark Thane which I'll probably stray from eventually but I enjoy the black magic warrior archetype.
One gripe I have about these types of mmos is the insane amount of skills you get. Im level 12 and already need 2 additional hotbars for gathering, consumables, 5(!) self buffs that I need to recast every hour, a bunch of situational rift skills that I dont even know what they are for etc etc. I can only imagine how cluttered it will be at max level. Even if I wont run out of hotbars anytime soon I only got so many fingers...

Macros seem to be all the rage to solve this problem.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Okay, so which faction are we? I need to start a new character for Bloodiron.

anus_pounder

Arcane
5 plat sent grunker.

Just came to mind: I'm not on Icewatch yet because until today I just used a free account (just got the game via the RAPTR deal) :eek:

So if you're on Icewatch, you sent the money to the wrong Fanabina, or mail will be returned to sender?

o_O well, it was only 5 platin...

I can pay them back to you... but are you sure there's really someone on Icewatch called Fanabina? If there isn't, shouldn't you have gotten the e-mail back?

Anyway, money farming is much easier than I expected, so shipping 5 p's back to you shouldn't be too much of a problem.

EDIT: Those playing on Icewatch - suggestions for guild name? Typical names for Codex guilds are Knights of Codexia and Warriors of Diversity. The Village Loon, rashiakas, Zewp, Mystary!

Also important: Why don't we play on Bloodiron instead? Icewatch is full a decent amount of the time, and things'll get worse once f2p launches.

I am very butthurt that I wasn't quoted in this post. :(

What class are we lacking at this point?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm guardian and so are a couple others, but I think there was a few defiants?

anus_pounder said:
I am very butthurt that I wasn't quoted in this post. :(

Sorry, I tagged off the top of my head :(

I don't have an overview of classes. I'll form Knights of Codexia ASAP. Mail me in game (Fanabina) for an invite, and we'll get the required five signatures in a jiffy. Then I'll start a new thread with an OP that chronicles members, their classes and their professions :)

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Hmm, alright. I was going to transfer my character to Bloodiron once he hit 15, but he's Defiant so I might as well just start over.

I'm a melee mage, btw.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron

As Warrior, Void Knight is an interesting tank soul, it uses a separate resource called "pacts" for burst damage, shields and other stuff, but you also gain better mitigation the more pacts you have, so you won't spend them mindlessly. Riftblade/Tempest has some fun mechanics as well and let you play a magic fighter.

I never played a cleric, but when I look at my wifes hotkeybars I guess cleric souls are somewhat demanding as well. Cleric is also the only Class that can fill any role. The most interesting, to me at least, is the Defiler, a soul that uses links to transfer damage and has a lot of dots and utility as well.

My favourite class is the Mage however, I really love healing as chloromancer (doing damage heals others) and the Harbinger is fun to play as melee mage. You also have the dominator, a control wizard which is great in pvp.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, I'm playing a thunderer, but I'm definetely looking to maybe try out defiler.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Macros seem to be all the rage to solve this problem.
When I played I had a macro for my entire rotation (besides a couple of situational skills). The macro included any procc damage skills and basic temp buffs. I also had a macro for every self-buff.
Macros were da shit.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
While it is still true that you will use macros (depending on the soul, they can be pretty large as well) it won't be optimal if you just spam them. Also, even with macros, you usually have to manage a lot situational skills. This also changes from soul to soul, as chloromancer I only use mouseover macros per example.

Emily

Arcane
What are the chances i get this by tomorrow?
There are 3000 keys, anyone knows?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There's a fairly good chance. My buddies are running it too, and when I got the key it said 3000+ as well, so I think the demand has gone down a bit.

Someone will have to teach me how macros work in this game btw, I can't make my shit work with Instant abilities.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Ok so server: Bloodiron, faction: Guardians. Got it.

Probably not going to last... I was a casual MMO'er at best... but hey, MMOs are far less likely to aggravate my ulcer than online FPS.

Installing RIFT from original disc... it will still probably start patching for eternity...

P.S. Hope it can migrate trial accounts to F2P accounts... or are we all starting from lvl1 on June 12th?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
They haven't said anything official on the subject as such, but I'm pretty sure trial accounts are a-go. Though I'd recommend anybody to grab a free copy of Storm Legion as long as the chance is here (see the OP for a guide how to).

It's incredibly easy, legit and you can delete the software required afterwards with no troubles.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
That's the plan! Just hope not to overheat my computer with 16 hours of running that stuff. It doesn't work minimized per chance, does it... maybe I could run it in a virtual desktop...

EDIT: Raptr is horrifying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom