Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift going free to play

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It's refusing server logins. Period.

EDIT: ah, they made me switch passwords while the updater was running. It works now.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ for the free game from raptr? Yes.

You have to follow each step that MHC lays out in the OP.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:what:

I have to play/leave PC running for 16 hours first? Fuuu...

Yep. Too much hassle for me to get into an MMO I'll get bored off within a week. WTB Codex TF2 server.

You realise you don't really need Storm Legion to play Rift when it goes F2P right? You can still play for a week and get bored. In a week, heck even in a month, seeing much Storm Legion content is doubtful.

All it does is unlock some new content you won't see for a long while and a couple of talent trees. It's a HUGE expansion but it's mostly end-game stuff, money sinks and expanded systems.

The F2P base game is more less the same game as F2P with Storm Legion for the first many levels and hours.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'm using the "desktops" app to keep the game and Raptr isolated to their own little shitvillage in a second desktop, while the game is set to use low-quality renderer (trying to save videocard from imploding here).

Gonna check my Raptr webpage in an hour to see if it's still working and counting my Rift time.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm using the "desktops" app to keep the game and Raptr isolated to their own little shitvillage in a second desktop, while the game is set to use low-quality renderer (trying to save videocard from imploding here).

Gonna check my Raptr webpage in an hour to see if it's still working and counting my Rift time.

During my run, it only updated the timer when you exited the game.

Multi-headed Cow

You actually seem to get the Storm Legion content without Storm Legion, all owning the expansion appears to give you is access to the expansion "Souls".

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Well the title screen suggests that, but then vanilla WoW still had expansion title screens to "entice" you into buying them.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, you level pretty fast to 50, especially if you don't do it alone. From 50-60 takes way longer.

Grunker & macros:

#show Vorpal Slash
suppressmacrofailures
cast [notactive] Charged Blade
cast Vorpal Slash
cast Storm's Fury
cast Storm Slash
cast Vile Spores
cast Ruin
cast Withering Vine
cast Blazing Light
cast Vengeful Shock

This is a macro I use with my Harbinger/Chloromancer. The first part defines which Icon is shown. The supress line stops the red error spam. Then, each keypress works from top to bottom, checking if that ability is available (no cooldown) -> can be used (range, facing) -> if condition is met (blocked/dodged etc.).

So in this example the first ability is a toggleable buff that uses charges. The [notactive] part prevent macro spam from toggling it of, so it basically ensures this buff stays on as long as I have enough charges.

Then, Vorpal slash and Storm's Fury both have a cooldown, they will be used whenever CD is done, I'm facing the target and are in melee. Slash ist then the standard attack without cooldown. If I'm out of melee range (or disconected in Rift Jargon) the macro skips down to vile spores which is a cast time ability, so it only works if I'm standing still and facing the target. If I'm moving, Ruin will be used, since it is a ranged instant. If Ruin has a cooldown, Withering Vine will be used instead. The last spell in the macro, Blazing Light, is an instant without cooldown that can be used if I don't face the target. Vengeful Shock is a trigger ability without a GCD, so it will be used whenever available as well.

This is btw the longest macro I use, and is for lazy leveling/farming. It is far from optimized and I would never use it in a raid/expert dungeon.

For easy macroing, you can shiftcklick abilities from your spellbook btw.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Those playing on Icewatch - suggestions for guild name? Typical names for Codex guilds are Knights of Codexia and Warriors of Diversity. The Village Loon, rashiakas, Zewp, Mystary!

Also important: Why don't we play on Bloodiron instead? Icewatch is full a decent amount of the time, and things'll get worse once f2p launches.

Oh I won't be around to play Rift. Just here to give pointers and answer questions about Rift to help those starting out.

I'm entrenched in a top guild on Icewatch, filthy rich with a endgame toon decked with the best gear outside raids. Done everything, seen everything outside raiding. Just going to play for a week or two when F2P hits to see the new endgame zone. Having raided semi-HC on WoW for years up to 2010, I have negative interest in raiding in any MMO ever again. Rift endgame is the same as all the other WoW clones. You grind your 5-mans and PuG PvE content to gear up, then you either raid or you're done in PvE. Or you're into PvP. Or god forbid you love to roleplay your fucking elf.

The leveling to endgame was great, and doing endgame outside raiding lasted WAY longer than WoW or most raid MMOs. Just doing the instances (hardmode), hunt rifts, pug raid rifts, and zone events will keep you entertained for at least a month with daily play. If you like WoW style seamless open world leveling, char development and gearing up, you will most likely love what Rift offers you. It does it well and adds Rifts and zone events to break the monotony of simple quest grinding. But if you hated WoW for it's content and gameplay, you probably wont find Rift enjoyable at all.

And doing Volan for the first time was pretty nice. Try not to spoil yourself with youtube. ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
rashiakas: That doesn't work for me! When I write Macros like that, it casts the first ability once (which then goes on cooldown) and then my second ability (which is Lightning Hammer) and then it just continue to cast Lightning Hammer. I believe it is because Lightning Hammer is instant and has no cooldown, and that basic macro will always cast whatever is on the top of the list and isn't on cooldown.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Is it absolutely necessary for this macro stuffles? I've never used them (admittedly I've never played an MMO that required them, I've never played many MMOs) and I don't want to start now.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ not really no, I'm doing just fine without them. I just like to use them for the main chains for convenience. Makes it easier for my addled brain to remember situational abilities when I don't have to think much about my main five or six :oops:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Is it absolutely necessary for this macro stuffles? I've never used them (admittedly I've never played an MMO that required them, I've never played many MMOs) and I don't want to start now.

Same here. Don't even know how to set them up and I don't want to get into a position where I actually have to.

Anyway, so far I've got to level 9 in roughly an hour and a half, so levelling seems to go fast in the beginning.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I hope three of you have sent me info for guild invites so we can get invites sent out and I can make the new thread. The faster we get an overview of which classes and especially professions we have, the better :P

You do not need macros to play, but they make life easier. I do not know what changes they have made since January mind you, but to get the most out of your character (DPS) you need to use all your high damage cooldowns effectively. This means always using them when they are not on cooldown, in a given order of preference. Macros do it for you. You have 1-3 macros to spam and 1-3 other abilities you use outside macros because they have no cooldown but you need to keep debuffs or abilities on the target. You cannot macro abilities with no cooldown in the middle of a macro because they always trigger. You always end a macro with one.

If the macro rashiakas posted does not work properly (never played a mage so unfamiliar with the abilities), it is because it is from a time before the big combat change (last oct-nov). They changed the system and in effect broke the old macros. They changed abilities to have no cooldowns so you cannot macro them like before.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Woah hold on a second. Blood Iron is a PvP server. The hell?

?

Is that a problem?

RP servers :rpgcodex:

Yes. Open world PvP is a problem. :)

And I don't like RP servers in the least, but its better than PvP servers.

Oh, you're afraid of getting ganked all the time?

Don't worry, there's so much interfaction shit in RIFT now, open world PvP is mostly dead as far as we know. If it ever becomes a problem, we'll just move. If I transfer the guild transfers with me :)

anus_pounder

Arcane
Defiant/guards can't band together on PvP servers ? Can anyone confirm/deny?

Hmm. Where did you read that? I haven't seen that. However, if it's true, we'll definetely have to switch servers.

http://forums.riftgame.com/shard-forums/eu-shards/pvp/bloodiron/359146-ressurect-bloodiron.html

"Yes, the majority of the raiding guilds today consist mostly of mixed factions and this prevents them to return to Bloodiron."

The post was from May 18th. I'll google later for some proper server rules, but I see no reason to disbelieve this guy at the moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom