Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rimworld vs Stonehearth (with a poll!)

Rimworld vs Stonehearth

• Total voters

Angthoron

Arcane
Any interesting mods for RimWorld? Steam community page is a fucking mess.

kris

Arcane
There's a constant sense of development and adaptation as the settlement grows. You can't rest on your laurels, or the events will fuck you hard. For example, I like to build early stuff with wood. Unless I remember to replace my old buildings with stone or metal structures, I invariably wind up seeing my base go up in flames. There's some fire-fighting tools you can develop and use, too, if you want to try solving the problem that way.

I am at day two of event "poison gas". I locked in all my colonists and the animals I want to keep the most, soon all animal life outside will die, but I am quite safe and sound as I got both a good stash of food and wood inside the base. Quite unsure what I can do if I got some other bad event though.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's a constant sense of development and adaptation as the settlement grows. You can't rest on your laurels, or the events will fuck you hard. For example, I like to build early stuff with wood. Unless I remember to replace my old buildings with stone or metal structures, I invariably wind up seeing my base go up in flames. There's some fire-fighting tools you can develop and use, too, if you want to try solving the problem that way.

I am at day two of event "poison gas". I locked in all my colonists and the animals I want to keep the most, soon all animal life outside will die, but I am quite safe and sound as I got both a good stash of food and wood inside the base. Quite unsure what I can do if I got some other bad event though.

Well, as you've observed, it takes a few days of total exposure for animals to die. If a dangerous event occurs, you can go outside and take care of business. One day out in the poison has no permanent effect on your settlers; all you need to do is have them go inside and sleep it off. If it gets really bad they'll collapse, but you can pull them to safety.

The last time I had a poison gas event, it was followed by a raider siege. I didn't have the firepower to defeat them, so I just hunkered down in my base while they rained mortar on me. Thankfully I had enough resources laying around to patch up the holes in my base, and if memory serves they only managed to knock out one settler. They, on the other hand, all died from the poison gas.

If I didn't have the resources to constantly rebuild and ensure my people could stay indoors... I would have had to fight. Maybe I could have done it if I called for backup first. Generally, if the enemy builds enough siege equipment they're going to force you outside.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'd at least suggest these:
EPOE - "This mod gives you the ability to craft your own prostheses and artificial organs." Also adds craftable synthetic organs, they're fairly expensive to craft so you won't be having 10 fully-bionic colonists all of a sudden.
Numbers - You get an extra tab on the bottom that let's you sort colonists or animals by certain stats. I mostly use it to be able to see the equipment of my colonists all at once or browse through wild animals. You can also sort them by stats, e.g. shooting accuracy, to determine who gets that shiny new sniper rifle.
Medical Tab - Same as Numbers, only you get an additional tab for medical stuff. Easier to micro-manage health related stuff.
Animals Tab - Improved animals tab.
Britnoths Mods (requires you to create an account to download) - All of these mods are extremely valuable quality of life changes. Hunting Alerts pauses the game when a hungry animal targets a colonist for food, normally only manhunting animals force that pause. Pandora Dark is a very challenging storyteller, daily raids and larger raids aswell. New Zone Tools lets you replace walls/doors with other materials without having to deconstruct them manually beforehand. Patient Sanity makes it so your colonists actually stay in bed to get treated/fed, while Friendly Berserk disables your other colonists from shooting the berseker, instead opting for melee automatically.
HPL - Haul Priority Lite, lets you prioritize Hauling a little better, and you get a marker to forbid/unforbid an area. Way easier to clean up after raids than having to unforbid every item by hand.
Storage Search - Searchtab for stockpiles so it's easier to check for items you want to specifically allow/forbid.
ESM Mods - I only use Mine Vein, you get an extra button to automatically mine the whole vein of resources found, aswell as smooth wall, saves on materials.

You will also have to download the CCL (Community Core Library) for some of those, don't worry about it. CCL does have to be loaded before mods that are dependant on it for obvious reasons, so make sure it's at the top of the list.

Last edited:

kris

Arcane

Well, as you've observed, it takes a few days of total exposure for animals to die. If a dangerous event occurs, you can go outside and take care of business. One day out in the poison has no permanent effect on your settlers; all you need to do is have them go inside and sleep it off. If it gets really bad they'll collapse, but you can pull them to safety.

The last time I had a poison gas event, it was followed by a raider siege. I didn't have the firepower to defeat them, so I just hunkered down in my base while they rained mortar on me. Thankfully I had enough resources laying around to patch up the holes in my base, and if memory serves they only managed to knock out one settler. They, on the other hand, all died from the poison gas.

If I didn't have the resources to constantly rebuild and ensure my people could stay indoors... I would have had to fight. Maybe I could have done it if I called for backup first. Generally, if the enemy builds enough siege equipment they're going to force you outside.

Day 6 now.

I do have the zombie mod active, not sure if they managed to mod the zombies to be immune to poison though. Alpha beavers all died, fires died out. Winter is coming, will I last now that I lose food and all the animals died? And this is not my save on a higher difficult.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Day 6 now.

I do have the zombie mod active, not sure if they managed to mod the zombies to be immune to poison though. Alpha beavers all died, fires died out. Winter is coming, will I last now that I lose food and all the animals died? And this is not my save on a higher difficult.

Well, is there any food at all outside? Honestly, it's not a big deal to let your settlers go outside during a gas event, just monitor their health and when they get too sick bring them indoors. If the animal carcasses haven't rotted yet, go grab them. Also, do you have a nutrient paste dispenser? I don't build them very often, but if you do then maybe you can do some foraging and that should last you a while. Consider killing your pets if you have to; generally, there should always be some opportunity to make food, even if it's not ideal. Maybe you need to buy it from the next trader, or a herd of animals will walk onto the map soon. Cannibalism is possible if it comes to it.

circ

Arcane
My Rimworld experience lasted about 30 minutes and I wasn't having much fun. So this'll be about Stonehearth.

They [devs] might describe it as a building sim, but I didn't get that impression. Mainly because the building interface is a bit shit.

Right now it's more a watch the little pixels do work relaxation simulator. There's combat, but after a while it really gets repetitive, it's completely automated - you just assign waypoints and equip your doods. But there aren't enough items to make it interesting and encounters repeat too often and the bestiary is very limited.

Other than that there's really not much to do. You can manufacture bunch of stuff, but you don't really need money, and after building/assigning basics like all the professions, you don't need items much either, 'cept for food. There are two randomized maps - temperate and desert, some differences in flora but nothing that affects gameplay really, and two factions - temperate guys and desert guys, but that doesn't matter either, except one gets to build different material buildings.

So yeah. SimCity JRPG at this point, with a lot less to do than SC. Not really an RPG though, although most professions have levels with perks (about half unimplemented).

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12996.0

If you want both, to get fucked by a ruthless AI AND to have something to do beyond the first two hours of successful colony. Vanilla is too easy and doesn't have much going for it, early game aside.

Though even modded it doesn't quite scratch that hobo-camp itch i'v been having lately, thinking about going back to DF.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Planet_a_caravan.jpg

Looks like they are adding some additional strategic layer to this game. Maybe we will be able to attack other villages/caravans et cetera. That might end up being really great addition to RimWorld.

orcinator

Liturgist

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=12996.0

If you want both, to get fucked by a ruthless AI AND to have something to do beyond the first two hours of successful colony. Vanilla is too easy and doesn't have much going for it, early game aside.

Though even modded it doesn't quite scratch that hobo-camp itch i'v been having lately, thinking about going back to DF.

The moders are making good progress, the problem is they have to expand on pretty much every one of the game's mechanics since vanilla is extremely shallow, and then they have to work on putting together something that doesn't feel like a total clusterfuck.

When/if the game reaches beta it might finally be playable if the dev doesn't piss off all the modders.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
So yeah. SimCity JRPG at this point, with a lot less to do than SC. Not really an RPG though, although most professions have levels with perks (about half unimplemented).

Don't say that in the Rimjobworld thread, you'll be crucified.

circ

Arcane
That was about Stonehearth though. I have since warmed up to Rimworld, though not to the point of fanaticism like some codexers. It could use content - but it's in alpha still so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom