Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RIP Kirill Pokrovsky of Larian

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Sad news indeed. Was my second favorite in game music after Morgan, closely followed by Kyd.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The one undeniably amazing part of Larian. I'm genuinely upset by this one.

Rest In Piece, Kirill. You can't be replaced.

bonescraper

Sad news, he was a pretty cool guy. I like his Divinity 2 stuff best, i didn't like his OS songs that much though, not because they're bad, they just felt out of place.

Deleted member 11480

Fuck... this ruined my day, I love this guy's job. DD's soundtrack is one of my favorites ever...

:negative:

Monocause

Arcane
Larian's BGM felt bit hit and miss for me, but I really liked that it always had character in spades and enjoyed the eastern/slavic romantic overtones that were both in the compositions and the production (so the choice of synths, voices etc). Western orchestral stuff made for games (and movies actually) always sounds as if it's made by an eager understudy of Bach and Gerschwin - one who's also sadly lacking in talent.

RIP and fingers crossed that Larian finds someone unique - them's quite a big pair of shoes to fill in after Kiril's passing.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The DOS ost doesn't even have that many songs of its own. Most of them are recycled and remixed from previous Divs.

pippin

Rest in peace, amazing guy with amazing glam metal hair.

Darkzone

Arcane
Sad news, he was a pretty cool guy. I like his Divinity 2 stuff best, i didn't like his OS songs that much though, not because they're bad, they just felt out of place.
That is because the DOS music is not really completed. Kirill fell ill during this times, therefore they had to recycle his older stuff and place it more arbitrary than Kirill had envisioned. So while it is a good soundtrack, it is not that what should have been.

I remember playing Divine Divinity for the first time. I thought that was some russian cheep RPG, but in the first dungon under the village i thought: Fuck they have good music.
There are a lot good soundtracks for different games, like for the X series, but Kirill was the first composer whose name i knew, even before Mark Morgan. I have years ago searched for his music and have found his site. And in the DOS kickstarter we saw, how an awesome freak he was.
The Larian people have lost more than a composer, they have lost a very good friend and the musical face of their games and company.

Koschey

Arcane
Ugh, fuck this shit.

Seems like it was just yesterday he rocked so hard his keyboard couldn't take it.

Ruhe in Frieden.

DD's soundtrack was indeed Divine. Usually i turn music off right away, but this shit was thoroughly enjoyable and made the game feel much more alive and engaging. I'm halfway through my monthly binge drinking session, so here goes

A sad and joyful toast to you
Heavy is my heart this day
Once more into the breach dear friend
Donkey punch the night away

RIP Brokrovsky
:bro:

Atchodas

Augur
Playing D:OS atm and some tracks are really amazing and i just stand there listening , then i realize the composer is dead and it was his last work :/ , makes you feel sad . Way before his time , way before his time ...

Atchodas

Augur
Yes indeed , his music makes atmosphere of divinity so good and you can feel the setting alive just by listening to it , also song that plays in the Inn is hilarious sets my mood up for adventure every time i hear it

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Who's doing the music for Larian now?

I'd be fine if they just kept remixing Kirill's songs for all their future games, plus the man likely left behind tons of unused material.

Black

Arcane
Yeah, the fact that I don't disable the music and play my own stuff when playing Larian games says something.
Who's doing the music for Larian now?
Why, Jeremy Soule, who else :rpgcodex:

v
:M

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom