Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Watch Lara's bum in NextGen fidelity

bonescraper

I wasn't too keen on the RPG-ite blocking off of various areas until the story decides to give you the necessary gear in this case
Your mum is RPG-ite. This is Crystal Dynamics, the guys who made Legacy of Kain games. That's one of the features of their Zelda-like action-adventure game philosophy. Nothing to do with RPGs.

Endurance mode DLC is fun, you should try it. It's basically a roguelike survival mode with an endless, procedurally generated map. It's quite hard, unlike the base game which is piss easy even on the UBERHARDCORELOLNOQUICKSAVING mode.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
After playing the 2013 reboot, I have to say that Underworld is still my favourite of this new wave of TR games. The odd stumbles with puzzles and the combat system evident in Legends and Anniversary were fixed in that one, both Lara and the levels were gorgeous, and gameplay was the king, instead of hours of cutscenes to watch.

There are no bad women in the story.
If that is true, it's a shame. The three-woman triangle in the earlier trilogy was excellent, even from a radical feminist POV - all three were empowered women, men were only present in the sidelines, and all three women have their independent goals worthy of pursuit - Lara trying to find her mother, Amanda trying to become immortal/gain power and Natla trying to bring forth the Seventh Age - and while they are ultimately antagonists to each other, they also have to cooperate on occasion.

A horse of course

I wasn't too keen on the RPG-ite blocking off of various areas until the story decides to give you the necessary gear in this case
Zelda-like

Nothing to do with RPGs.

Zelda took it from older CRPGs, don't be such a nitpicker.

Yeah the story is laughably bad, takes itself incredibly seriously and is riddled with feminist/SJW crap, as you would expect. On the latter in particular:

There are no bad women in the story. Not really. Even the two main female antagonists aren't truly evil, despite being psychotic mass murderers. They just became misguided due to their poor-poor-me circumstances, so they're really the victims after all. Natch.

I didn't really process it that way. Sophia is basically the poster child for contemporary vidya wimminz (hideously ugly and game falls over itself to establish that she's a STRONK WOMBYN) but the female villain seemed pretty wretched, considering she's the entire reason Konstantin is such a twat and doesn't give a shit about him beyond obtaining the artifact. I did get the sense that the Cold Darkness Awakened DLC was a really forced attempt to make Sophia and Nadia Quirky and Endearing (tm) companions for future games, though.

Jonah was completely pointless of course, just like the side-characters in TR2013.

edit: two female villains? You mean Baba Yaga as the second?

Last edited by a moderator:

A horse of course

Yes

I listened to/read all the documents and audio in the DLC and the character's stated motivation was completely ludicrous. Also, pulling the
it's actually SCIENCE and psychological conditioning!
card was rather weak considering the reboot universe has, as of the current date, at least two recorded instances of entire armies of zombie warriors, multiple immortals, and proof of the existence of mythological artifacts such as The Golden Fleece.

Sodafish

Arcane

Yes

I listened to/read all the documents and audio in the DLC and the character's stated motivation was completely ludicrous. Also, pulling the
it's actually SCIENCE and psychological conditioning!
card was rather weak considering the reboot universe has, as of the current date, at least two recorded instances of entire armies of zombie warriors, multiple immortals, and proof of the existence of mythological artifacts such as The Golden Fleece.

It's nothing if not consistently shit-tier writing.

A horse of course

One thing I really wish they'd done is made Kitetz a proper third hub area and expanded it slightly, allowing you to go out to the siege engines and comb through the ice for mongol artifacts.

Deleted member 7219

I liked the reboot and ROTTR but they aren't Tomb Raider games.

The best of the series are still Tomb Raider 1-4, Legend, Anniversary and Underworld - with the last two being my favourites.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh boy, what's up with all the QTEs. I don't even mind all the 'cinematic' stuff -- and granted, it's been a while since I played the original reboot -- but I feel like they dialed those up to the full for this one...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh boy, what's up with all the QTEs. I don't even mind all the 'cinematic' stuff -- and granted, it's been a while since I played the original reboot -- but I feel like they dialed those up to the full for this one...
I felt like there were less of them in this one, personally. Not that many "Press F to not get your face impaled on a strategically positioned branch" situations.

A horse of course

Not including timed melee dodges, there are barely any QTEs in Rise.

pippin

Back to Divinity? :smug:

Also, I don't really know if QTE's were that relevant in TR2013, or at least it felt like there was a sizeable ammount of time and gameplay between them. The worst one was the fight against the big guy (for you) because it was in a new context, you had no previous training in that situation, and it was like 3/4s into the game.

DemonKing

Arcane
The QTEs happened quite often at the beginning of TR2013 but then calmed down to a reasonable level. I hardly noticed them at all in RotTR.

Falksi

Arcane
I loved the 2013 Reboot. yeah it had it's flaws, but it was superbly paced and - whilst not really a Tomb Raider game in any real sense - it was just a shit hot action-adventure game all-round. Lara's arse is not only very shapely, but it gets put through some really painful/brutal shit too, which makes quite erotic.

Rise Of The Tomb Raider is boring as fuck so far. I've just got the assault rifle, and each area up to here has dragged big time. The story is fairly "meh" so far too, but it isn't putting me off the game. What is putting me off is just the general game design itself. The set peices have mostly fallen flat, and no fight or area up to yet has been remotely satisfying.

Does it get any better?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I loved the 2013 Reboot. yeah it had it's flaws, but it was superbly paced and - whilst not really a Tomb Raider game in any real sense - it was just a shit hot action-adventure game all-round. Lara's arse is not only very shapely, but it gets put through some really painful/brutal shit too, which makes quite erotic.

Rise Of The Tomb Raider is boring as fuck so far. I've just got the assault rifle, and each area up to here has dragged big time. The story is fairly "meh" so far too, but it isn't putting me off the game. What is putting me off is just the general game design itself. The set peices have mostly fallen flat, and no fight or area up to yet has been remotely satisfying.

Does it get any better?

Rise of the Tomb Raider is an OK game, but it's also a very normal game, to its detriment. Tomb Raider 2013 had so many bizarre tonal shifts and odd moments of complete miscalculation that it made the whole thing completely compelling to me. It was a game where the writers were going for "gritty realism," but the game designers were going for "typical 3rd person action game," and the way those motives clashed through out the game was constantly amusing. It's probably one of the most delightfully strange and fucked up AAA games I've ever played. Plus, it helped that the gameplay was actually really fun with tons of great action set pieces inspired by 1980s B action films. I ending up loving TR13 way more than I thought I would.

But, yeah, Rise of the Tomb Raider is totally "meh." All of the growing pangs and rough edges of the first game are completely worked out, to the point that it's more or less just a competently made, but entirely mediocre, 3rd person shooter. Plus, it replaces the superb character arc that Laura goes through in the first game, with a boring fantasy conspiracy plot that I couldn't bring myself to care about. The graphics are really good, though. Hairworks enabled Laura with all the detail turned up looks like something from a CGI movie. So if you are a graphics whore, it's probably worth playing. It just doesn't have the unique spark of TR13.

Falksi

Arcane

Does it get any better?

Rise of the Tomb Raider is an OK game, but it's also a very normal game, to its detriment. Tomb Raider 2013 had so many bizarre tonal shifts and odd moments of complete miscalculation that it made the whole thing completely compelling to me. It was a game where the writers were going for "gritty realism," but the game designers were going for "typical 3rd person action game," and the way those motives clashed through out the game was constantly amusing. It's probably one of the most delightfully strange and fucked up AAA games I've ever played. Plus, it helped that the gameplay was actually really fun with tons of great action set pieces inspired by 1980s B action films. I ending up loving TR13 way more than I thought I would.

But, yeah, Rise of the Tomb Raider is totally "meh." All of the growing pangs and rough edges of the first game are completely worked out, to the point that it's more or less just a competently made, but entirely mediocre, 3rd person shooter. Plus, it replaces the superb character arc that Laura goes through in the first game, with a boring fantasy conspiracy plot that I couldn't bring myself to care about. The graphics are really good, though. Hairworks enabled Laura with all the detail turned up looks like something from a CGI movie. So if you are a graphics whore, it's probably worth playing. It just doesn't have the unique spark of TR13.

Nice analysis! :salute:

I think it really just boils down to the loads of fun set action peices you mention for me. TR13 was choca full of them, and it was a rollercoaster ride with all those bizare elements you mention thrown in for good messure. It constantly stimulated & excited, not always in the best way, but them that strangely became the best way.

Think I'll quit RITR. It seems to have become a more Ubisoft style Ass-Creed type game, with "open world looting" now the main focus, and that's just boring. The set peices are fairly shite too.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Pretty much, yes. Things are either shit or they are gud. There is no in between. Your so called "nuances" only end up relativizing things as the number of "angles" you can approach a particular object or idea ends up adding to infinity, and ultimately it all just becomes an exercise of verbial sperging. Modern art is the pretty much this kind of shit pushed to it's ultimate consequence. "Words" become more important than any concrete or objective reality. Indeed, there is no reality, only words!.

I'll tell you why Tomb Raider 2013 was shit: there was no gameplay. It's not the game was not a "Tomb Raider" game in any sense. It's that it was less of a game than Tomb Raider in almost every sense. It's theme park Ubishit-like bullshit. Half of the gameplay bits are playing pretend and the other half are just shit and underwhelming, which basically describes 99% of modern gaymes and why this hobby is pretty much a lost cause at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom