Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Watch Lara's bum in NextGen fidelity

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Tomb SJW 2

I can't wait for the next reboot.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As always, thanks for keeping us informed of the latest shit console titles.

pippin

The title sounds gimmicky and stupid. Then again the series has been like that for a long time, although I got Guardian of Light in a bundle and it was ok

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, GoL was actually made in the traditional Tomb Raider style.

pippin

2078737-zangief_end_sfa2_3_5976.gif

:rpgcodex:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
John Walker is upset about the marketing of Rise of the Tomb Raider:

This Isn’t A Post About Rise Of The Tomb Raider
By John Walker on February 4th, 2015 at 5:00 pm.

Everything is so bloody stupid. In a world where major publishers like THQ can fold, and even something of the scale of Activision-Blizzard couldn’t find a buyer other than itself, you’d imagine Square Enix wouldn’t be doing absolutely everything in their power to reach as few customers as possible. But the company that recently suffered financial woes, and complained the first Tomb Raider didn’t sell enough copies, are doing exactly that. Rise Of The Tomb Raider is the sequel to the morbidly overrated Tomb Raider reboot and was previously revealed as an Xbox “exclusive” release, ensuring the vast majority of its potential sales are instantly removed. And now they’re tying up their marketing with in-store promotional brochure, Game Informer.

Square lamented that the just-above-average Tomb Raider (lots of potential, excellent movement and action, but a sodding awful script that wouldn’t ever leave you alone) “only” sold 3.4m copies in its first month. So their solution? Massively limit access to its sequel. We learned last August that the game was to be an Xbox exclusive. Sure, they’ll have received a giant wad of cash from Microsoft for the deal, and perhaps they considered that necessary to fund its development. But the result is that only those owning Microsoft consoles will be able to buy the game within months of launch.

Microsoft reckon around 10 million XBONES have sold so far. That’s a big number, but it’s also a very small number. The lifetime sales of the 360 by 2013 were around 78.2 million. The PS4 is in about 15 million homes, and the PS3 found its way into 80 million by 2013. PCs are impossible to count, but the general rule of a cross-platform release is that the PC version will make up between 5 and 10% of the overall sales. For a series as established on PC as Tomb Raider, let’s assume that’s nearer the 10% figure. That means you’ve cut off 50% of your console audience right away, as well as the 10% of sales that would have come from PC. Microsoft must have given them somuch money. (And this isn’t even accounting for how few will want to get the game for 360, which will obviously have to be massively scaled down, and likely review more poorly as a result).

It gets stupider. Because we know that the announcement that Rise Of The Tomb Raider would be “released exclusively on Xbox” was a deliberately obfuscated phrasing to mean, “It’s a timed exclusive, but we’re pretending it isn’t”, we know that it’ll come to PC and PS3/4 eventually. And knowing that, as a site that wants to discuss potentially interesting PC games, that makes it relevant to us to keep track of the development of this game. But no, we can’t do that, because Square Enix has – like so many publishers so idiotically do – signed an exclusivity deal with Gamestop’s in-store magazine, Game Informer. I cannot speculate on what deals may or may not go on behind the scenes, when it comes to the largest distributor of boxed copies of videogames in America, and publishers giving their magazine exclusive information about their games. But what I can say is, despite the disturbingly large numbers in which GI is distributed, it still makes up a tiny, tiny fraction of the publications covering videogames. It therefore reaches a tiny, tiny fraction of the potential customers for Rise Of The Tomb Raider, for whom such marketing material is surely aimed.

We also know just how possessive Game Informer can be with these marketing materials they’ve procured, appropriately enough in relation to this bullshit with the last Tomb Raider. Even jokesabout it result in threats of legal action, as we experienced when we pretended to be nicking their assets. This is about publishers entering an exclusivity deal for promotional information about their game with a publication that threatens legal action if said materials are shared.

This is beyond ridiculous. Exclusives, whether they be for consoles, for magazines, whatever, arealways harmful to the players. (To be clear, yes, we do turn down exclusives at RPS. The closest we get is learning information about a game ahead of an announcement, so we’ll have more useful information about it for our readers at the point when that information becomes available to everyone. And we certainly don’t try to stop anyone else from repeating it. Generally, when we’re offered exclusives that would mean the information would be ours alone for a length of time, we reply pointing out how this would be unhelpful to both them, and people interested in the game.) In this case, not just to those who simply want to be able to learn about the new game, perhaps get excited about it, but even to more than half the people who would consider buying it.

So no, we’ve no news for you about Rise Of The Tomb Raider, despite its inevitable appearance on PC. However, if I were to speculate, Crystal Dynamics’ games have dropped in quality with each release, from the utterly wonderful Legends, to the great Anniversary, then the quite good Underworld, that trilogy was on a downward trajectory. 2013’s Tomb Raider was okay, but woefully flawed, so if the trend continues, maybe it isn’t worth getting excited about anyway? We’ve no way of knowing.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
While I like the fact that John Walker is unloading both barrels on Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix for their suicidal stupidity. He comes across as being very butthurt over the whole thing.

But...
2013’s Tomb Raider was okay, but woefully flawed, so if the trend continues, maybe it isn’t worth getting excited about anyway? We’ve no way of knowing.
Is refreshingly honest at least.

pippin

I like it when people talk about games like some sort of necessity.

Deleted member 7219

His favourite Crystal Dynamics game is Tomb Raider Legend. I'm not so sure about his taste when it comes to games.

Also, was this the same guy who took a massive shit on Fallout New Vegas when it came out? Said Obsidian were "phoning it in"?

Tehdagah

Arcane
His favourite Crystal Dynamics game is Tomb Raider Legend. I'm not so sure about his taste when it comes to games.

Also, was this the same guy who took a massive shit on Fallout New Vegas when it came out? Said Obsidian were "phoning it in"?
So John Walker likes jiggling boobs. Interesting.

DemonKing

Arcane
Maybe there's been a dearth of decent action/shooting games but the 2013 TR was pretty damn good in that aspect. If you're more into the traditional TR puzzle solving I agree it was a letdown but if you get past that and enjoy it for what it is it's more than decent.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Maybe there's been a dearth of decent action/shooting games but the 2013 TR was pretty damn good in that aspect. If you're more into the traditional TR puzzle solving I agree it was a letdown but if you get past that and enjoy it for what it is it's more than decent.
Its shooting was garbage, just like every other mechanic it featured.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Rise of the Tomb Raider must still be bleeding them dry even with the Microsoft handout since there is a 85% sale on just about every game in Squares library on steam right now.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The first game (reboot thing) was a mediocre game. But the sequel could be good even great if they lower the enemies count, add some fucking tombs and drop the SJW retarded story.

I wish I never bothered to "save" that bunch of cretins.

Rise of the Tomb Raider must still be bleeding them dry even with the Microsoft handout since there is a 85% sale on just about every game in Squares library on steam right now.

SE just announced that their profit did double during the last year. The game was not a financial failure but SE are cunts and they like to whine about it. Greed never changes.

bloodlover

Arcane
You know the series is going down the shithole if people say GoL was good.

I'd rather see a remake like Anniversary than this .

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nah, it's because SE realizes there's basically two types of PC game buyers: retards who will D1P and people who wait for steep 75% off sales. No need to waste much time in the middle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom