Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Risen 2: Dark Waters Review @ Gamebanshee

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen 2: Dark Waters

Gamebanshee's Brother None comprehensively reviews Piranha Bytes' latest CRPG Risen 2: Dark Waters.
Risen 2 is your quintessential two steps forward, one step back title. At its core, it is recognizably a Piranha Bytes game, and it offers the expected boons and drawbacks. It's fairly unforgiving at the start before becoming too easy at the end (at least, when I was wielding a musket). Its main draw is exploration and it offers enough rewards and hand-crafted locales to keep that interesting. Its lack of polish and clumsiness in design is off-set by the interesting world design and fairly decent quest options. The game doesn't do a lot of hand-holding, you need to pay attention to what people are telling you as it offers no quest compass or similar aid.

For everything it added to Risen, in making the setting more interesting and adding a ton of skill and combat options, it seems to ask for something back. Exploration suffers a bit on some islands as there's just not much to discover. The challenge is lacking once you're 10 hours in and regularly traveling with a companion, to the point where I'd almost advise people to go it alone most of the time. The team also added a lot of superfluous content like mini-games and killcams that don't add necessarily add much, and what's worse they implement some of it so poorly that it won't even add much for the people who do like this kind of material.

But my most important criticism is this: Risen 2 is not focused enough on its good ideas. It'd be too easy to blame some of the obvious simplifications and casual nature of the character system and mini-games, but the core problem seems to be that they spread themselves too thin on implementing various worthwhile ideas while also crafting an open, dense world. There's a lot of neat ideas in the game, but none of them are used enough. Voodoo mind control is great, but they were so busy with other things they end up using it only half a dozen times or so.

So, an unbridled success this is not, nor is it a sequel that is "better in every way". It is better in some ways to Risen, but it also loses some of its shine to needless simplifications, the occasional lack of openness of some locations, and the addition of superfluous gameplay elements. Still, as a fan of Piranha Bytes' work, I found this to be a very enjoyable (if flawed) addition to their library.

curry

Arcane
Ignoring that big bug, the game ran without too many problems, occasional AI bugs and graphical glitches aside. However, it did run terribly on my PC, which is hardly top-of-the-line, but Risen 2 performed worse on it than a console port like Batman: Arkham City did. Troubling. Not to mention I kept having to turn down graphical options as it would reset them every time I booted up the game.
:eek:

Even though faction gameplay has always been a core feature for PB-developed titles, they cut it out completely in this game. This title does have three factions (Inquisition, natives and pirates), but you can't join any of them.

you can only knock out friendly NPCs, not kill and loot them

:decline:

this game does not do any level-scaling, so as a voodoo disciple you can jump in too early and have your ass handed to you

:incline:

Sounds like they dumbed it down but not as much as some other studios.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lack of factions is a bit disappointing although in the first Risen it really only boiled down to Order or Bandit. Voodoo just seems like the vestiges of the magic system in that it's useful in the ways magic use to be with transform into beetle/crab, levitate, telekinesis, etc. This type of magic was totally divorced from basic 'nuking' in Risen 1 and there was little point of bothering to learn/acquire the runes for them since scrolls were plentiful. Being a mage in Risen was no different than being an archer, it was just a little more overpowered. And while I will miss the option of being a mage it looks like PB was never really going to get it right. All of that said it seems that replay value might be fairly low to non existent.

Great review, and your conclusion seems to hit the nail on the head. Another way of saying it is that PB 'survived' their deal with the AAA devil leaving something that is still playable for fans of their games but could have been better without the constraints imposed by the expectations of modern gamers. I've been going back and forth on a preorder for some time and now I think I might just wait for the Steam summer sale (which is only in about two months) where I'm sure it'll be 33% off or so. The fact that you said you had trouble running it on your semi-modest system is troubling to me as my rig is fairly dated.

Stinger

Arcane
Just as comparison, how well did Witcher 2 run on your PC Brother None?

Cause Witcher 2 stutters like hell on both my PC and Laptop no matter the settings, even though their specs easily met the recommended.

I might have to give it a miss if performance is that bad.

Micmu

Magister
Looks like a solid pass for me... Even if it weren't infected with malware and DLC faggotry, it's just too dumbed down.

Next.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Just as comparison, how well did Witcher 2 run on your PC Brother None?

Well. Though I did have to scale back a lot of options, run most of it at medium. But once I did, it ran fine.

Performance can be pretty random though. It'll be interesting to see if this is a problem for a lot of people, post-release.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What kind of graphics card do you run with, BN?
Edit: Probably not getting it either. I still haven't even entered a city in Risen. The game just seems to offer little new things compared to Gothic 1 and 2, just more of the same. If I wanted that I'd just replay 2: NOTR. The worst was when a quest was to pick up grain... you know, just like in Gothic 2. It's almost like playing a new Zelda game.

But I'll finish it... this year. Probably. If I ever kill Ornstein and Smough! DAMN THEM

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Risen is basically an amalgam of G1 and G2. It certainly doesn't reinvent the wheel.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, I managed to kill Orny once, but then my controller charge cable plopped out. (Yes, really.)

I question my Asylum Great Hammer / Heaviest Armor I can find build.

Chuck Norris

Augur
HOPE THEY MAKE THE REAL GOTHIC 4 AND MAKE IT BIG LIKE GOTHIC 3. PB WON'T GO FORWARD WITH THIS CRAP FRANCHISE RISEN. I MEAN RISEN WAS OK COMPARED TO OTHER RPGS IN 2009, BUT IT LOOKED LIKE A TOTAL JOKE COMPARED TO GOTHIC 1 WHICH IT TRIED TO EMULATE. AND NOW LOOK AT THIS DISAPPOINTMENT. IGN CRITICIZED THE GAME FOR BEING STREAMLINED AND CALLED IT MOST ACCESSIBLE PB GAME. YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS? THAT MEANS A STEP IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. I KNEW FROM THE START THAT RISEN 2 IS GOING TO TURN TO CRAP WHEN THEY ANNOUNCED DLCS FOR IT.

The factions stuff has already been used 4 times in a row, it started getting old and cliched.
Gimme a break. Factions were one of the few things I always liked about PB games and they always did it right. It was one of the trademarks for their games somehow. Removing it was an absolute disgrace.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The factions stuff has already been used 4 times in a row, it started getting old and cliched.

As big of a PB fan as I am you're just starting to sound like an apologist. If the faction stuff was getting old and cliched, then they could have found another way to inject more C&C or enhance replayability. As it is there doesn't seem be any significant difference in character builds or plot paths.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
It's a PB game and I like the challenge, exploration and quests they make. It does sound like they broke a few things and I wanted to buy it but DLC? There's a whole island missing from the people that pre-order it? Seriously, FO:NV was finally finished a few months ago, I guess I'll buy that and get this game next year for twenty bucks when they GOTY it and have it all patched up and balanced.

Nice review BN, sounds good while pointing out the problems. I'd like to buy it on Friday despite it's flaws but fuck it. I'll wait for the finished product.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I question my Asylum Great Hammer / Heaviest Armor I can find build.
Can't say much about that, I play the completly oposite way...I never did a heavy armor biuld, even when playing just with two-handed weapons and no shield...
Today I destroyed them on my first try without much difficulty. Using a Great Shield helped incredibly. Everything seems easy for now, completed the Demon Ruins without a hitch.

And to get back on topic, it's out on Friday already? I'm looking forward to Codex opinions on the game as soon as it is out then.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I realized I forgot to talk about one thing that bugged me. Which is that you can't swim. Much more than the climbing mechanic, that to me was a huge deal in exploration. There's no swimming underwater to enter ruins or caves. If you hit deep water, you're teleported back to shore. No explanation or anything, it just fades to black and fades back in with you on the shore.

tindrli

Arcane
I realized I forgot to talk about one thing that bugged me. Which is that you can't swim. Much more than the climbing mechanic, that to me was a huge deal in exploration. There's no swimming underwater to enter ruins or caves. If you hit deep water, you're teleported back to shore. No explanation or anything, it just fades to black and fades back in with you on the shore.

if i remmebmer correctly the first risen had a same problem

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yip. But at least it showed something to explain why you couldn't swim out, coz sea monsters. Risen 2 doesn't explain it at all, and water is a much bigger deal in it. It's stupid.

made

Arcane
MASSIVE decline right there. In Arcania you fucking explode if you touch water.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I agree Risen 1 handled it better than a simple teleport (and it made some degree of sense given the opening cut scene) but swimming has never been a big part of PB games. In G1 and G2 you could use it to traverse a few areas quicker and get to Xardas old tower and that Thieves Guild cave off the shore of Khorinis but that's about it. Not really sure in Gothic 3, I don't recall many areas that required swimming to get to... I think it was just sort of there. The lack of climbing, imo, is way more significant than the lack of swimming.

Granted, I haven't played Risen 2 so maybe there's a ton of water logged ruins and areas of the map (excluding the sea/ocean itself).

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Climbing isn't out though. It's still there, and used frequently in some jungle maps. It's just been taken out inside cities.

There's not any water logged ruins or anything. Nothing but a few rivers. But I greatly enjoyed swimming in ruins and caves in Gothic 1/2, and I do miss it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Is it Gothic 2 where you could pretty much leap off the harbour and swim to a little beachhead where a random dude was living in a tent? That was cool.

Trying to get stuff done so I can play some tomorrow...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Climbing isn't out though. It's still there, and used frequently in some jungle maps. It's just been taken out inside cities.

There's not any water logged ruins or anything. Nothing but a few rivers. But I greatly enjoyed swimming in ruins and caves in Gothic 1/2, and I do miss it.
It's just been taken out inside cities.
It's just been taken out inside cities.

EDIT: DU, fix this popamole, new-shit, fucking suck ass, santorum text editor shit.
Choice between broken functionality and simply removing all features (LOL, Diablo 3: We fixed it by removing it :troll:) is no choice. It's a big fuck you.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Yo, performance when I played the Beta wasn't really that good, I hoped they'd have fixed that now. Apparently not. It's a shit engine and time for a rewrite, or CryEngine 3 license.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom