Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Fuck off with this getting hammered with a bazillion quests right from the get-go. Hate that shit. Stale ass world to boot.

Alfons

Prophet
Darksiders 2 is close if you play on the max difficulty, but you can only unlock that max difficulty by beating the game once on the tertiary to max difficulty level, so fuck it.
Unfortunately I played that game to death when it was new,I remember it being more like dark souls though,dodging is easy but on harder difficulties some dudes can one or two shot you.

Godhand is a sort of relevant example of what you get when you marry "don't screw up" with "also don't be a paraplegic with no reflexes, loser".
Fuckin Godhand,tried to play this on an emulator but unfortunately my machine is way too shitty to run it.

Aren't the third and fourth dmc games on pc?

Zeriel

Arcane
Darksiders 2 is close if you play on the max difficulty, but you can only unlock that max difficulty by beating the game once on the tertiary to max difficulty level, so fuck it.
Unfortunately I played that game to death when it was new,I remember it being more like dark souls though,dodging is easy but on harder difficulties some dudes can one or two shot you.

Godhand is a sort of relevant example of what you get when you marry "don't screw up" with "also don't be a paraplegic with no reflexes, loser".
Fuckin Godhand,tried to play this on an emulator but unfortunately my machine is way too shitty to run it.

Aren't the third and fourth dmc games on pc?

Yeah, Darksiders 2 is basically a sped up Dark Souls with Diablo loot. "Sped up Dark souls" should really be what all good action games are, though. If you're going to be brutally difficult, might as well let things move at a speed that makes sense. I didn't find DS2 difficult on any difficulty, but the combat felt good, so there's that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ Fair critique. But the guy above you with Derp Souls... meh... no thanks. Derp Souls combat is far too telegraphed/slow/deliberate to be enjoyable. It's less combat and more of a timing puzzle.
All the best 3rd person action games can be boiled down to timing puzzles,be it DMC or Bayonneta. In Dark souls it's easy to run away but actually staying close and doing damage while not getting fucked up is difficult since you need to use the iframes.If use the biggest shields the combat is kinda slow,not really.
Those aren't the best, you just have shit taste in games. And, as mentioned, Dark Souls intentionally handicaps player reaction time with its slow as molasses movement/attacks. Relying on that to increase difficulty is bad design.

Alfons

Prophet
I didn't find DS2 difficult on any difficulty, but the combat felt good, so there's that.
I started enjoying DS2 only after I stopped comparing it to the original,it's inferior in almost every way that matters IMO.
In general what I find so compelling about Dark Souls is the way it handles weapons,I still didn't find a game that has moves and not just a the basics- damage,speed,different look.
If it didn't have that I probably wouldn't care about this game as much as I do.

Those aren't the best, you just have shit taste in games. And, as mentioned, Dark Souls intentionally handicaps player reaction time with its slow as molasses movement/attacks. Relying on that to increase difficulty is bad design.
Brilliant fuckin reply,name one action game that isn't based on timing dumbass.

Renevent

Cipher
^ Fair critique. But the guy above you with Derp Souls... meh... no thanks. Derp Souls combat is far too telegraphed/slow/deliberate to be enjoyable. It's less combat and more of a timing puzzle.

Deliberate is a good thing. DS's combat is excellent and an awesome mix of timing, distance, positioning, management of power (stamina for attacks/blocks), and situational awareness.

I'm enjoying Risen 3 though, and even kinda like the combat. It get's a lot better when you get a couple of the perks (parry, faster attack, etc) and get to start mixing in magic as well. I get people's criticism of it though, and I certainly would never try and convince anyone that it's good lol.

Tigranes

Arcane
You mean the 'combo' where you hit LMB 3 times in a row? This isn't street fighter, you're just swinging the sword 3 times. If you hit him the first time because of good timing you will liekly hit with one or two more, as expected. If you 'execute the combo perfectly' on a ready and alert enemy of course he's going to block it.
Fuck me,I know more about the fuckin game then you.Combo-combination of strikes,hitting 3 times with the sword is a combo after those 3 strikes you have a delay before you can strike again,there is even a skill that let's you initiate an infinite amount of blows without delay.It's not expected because the presses need to be timed.I thought the gothicfags praised this fuckin mechanic.

It's pretty clear at this point that you aren't able to respond to what I'm saying, so... alright.

Deliberate is a good thing. DS's combat is excellent and an awesome mix of timing, distance, positioning, management of power (stamina for attacks/blocks), and situational awareness.

I'm enjoying Risen 3 though, and even kinda like the combat. It get's a lot better when you get a couple of the perks (parry, faster attack, etc) and get to start mixing in magic as well. I get people's criticism of it though, and I certainly would never try and convince anyone that it's good lol.

Yeah, it's a pity that R3 didn't do the obvious thing and get more opponents who use muskets and magic, etc. against you. They give you new powers, but despite an impressive enemy variety, don't give them new toys. Missed opportunity.

Risen 1 has the best melee combat I've seen in RPG (unless you consider Dark Souls to be RPG, which I don't). End of fucking story. You fags just suck at it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If you hit him the first time because of good timing you will liekly hit with one or two more, as expected.

This simply isn't true, though. If you hit the dude once, you are actually more likely to have the 2nd and 3rd hits blocked than to finish the combo. The enemy parrying in this game is simply obnoxious, even the "ways to break it" don't work properly - both ripostes AND fully charged power attacks usually open up a window of opportunity to get only 1 attack in, after that they just keep blocking again, which is most likely caused by all the fucking ridiculous long-ass pirouettes and shit.

Best just stick to ranged weapons.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
blade of darkness, dark messiah, rune, Des+DS1+DS2, Dragons Dogma, Zeno Clash...

Not even listing other genre games like DMC

Rune and Zeno Clash are not RPGs, Blade of darkness barely qualifies. Anyway from those that you mentioned (I didn't play console ones though) I'd say Risen is comparable to any of them except Blade of darkness which is a notch above everything in action/ARPG genre as far as I'm concerned.

Fight more than one enemy at a time and realize its autotargeting is really awful. It needs a manual lock-on like good console games.

Manual lock-on would be a good addition. That said, autotargeting didn't bother me when fighting multiple opponents (whether lizardmen or town guards for the lulz), I only had a problem with it when a battle was packed with both allies and lizardmen like when you open the temple door with Mendoza and Order warriors, lizardmen rush out and it's hard to make it through that battle without accidentally killing/hitting an ally.

Last edited:

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Risen 3 is a good game. 7/10.

And all PB games had crappy combat. They are incapable of making good combat.

subotaiy

Cipher
Man, such letdown this game is. I liked Taranis and Calador, but after that I couldn't take it anymore and uninstalled. Pity, it had a few good parts here and there, like some humorous conversations.RIP PB.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
unless you consider Dark Souls to be RPG, which I don't
It certainly lacks the depth and complexity of true western RPGs like Risen 3, that's for sure.

Mechanics-wise it's very deep and complex and absolutely fantastic and I admire it greatly, especially DS2. The originality, the nattiness, the level design, the encounter design, the enemy design, the itemization, the combat, the boss fights...post-golden age RPGs can hardly compete.

But despite all this juicy meat there's no bone. No plot, no quests, no NPC interaction to speak of, no bigger picture, no drive to go forward. It's like playing one of those coin-op arcades of old. Great fun, if you're a kid, but ultimattely utterly shallow and pointless. I admire it greatly but I couldn't stand to play it, and not just because it's a console game with horrible controls. I couldn't see any point in just running forward and smashing the creatures just to hack my way to more creatures. This must be combatfags paradise but it's storyfags hell.

trym88

Scholar
The funny thing is that you fucks still believe there's something like an "objective truth" about which combat system is good and which is bad. If the combat is too slow for you, fine then you don't like slow combat. If the combat is too fast for you, fine, then you don't like fast combat. If the combat requires too much timing of you, fine, then you don't like timed combat. But arguing about this stuff is as much retarded like arguing about which music genre is the superior one.

Alfons

Prophet
The funny thing is that you fucks still believe there's something like an "objective truth" about which combat system is good and which is bad. If the combat is too slow for you, fine then you don't like slow combat. If the combat is too fast for you, fine, then you don't like fast combat. If the combat requires too much timing of you, fine, then you don't like timed combat. But arguing about this stuff is as much retarded like arguing about which music genre is the superior one.
This might be a good point but once you play the subjective card then there is no discussion,everyone just has to shut the fuck up basically.I guess you can just point out what are the strong points of a certain system but even then someone might say that the strong point is actually a weak point and the only conclusion is to agree to disagree.

trym88

Scholar
This might be a good point but once you play the subjective card then there is no discussion,everyone just has to shut the fuck up basically.I guess you can just point out what are the strong points of a certain system but even then someone might say that the strong point is actually a weak point and the only conclusion is to agree to disagree.

You're right. Nevermind my post. Didn't wanna be the fun killer.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I found Risen 3 to be a very mixed bag. Moments of old PB style did occasionally shine through, though overall I found the game quite disappointing.

Bahamut

Arcane
Guess i have a gamebreaking bug

Chani sent me to find some lost warriors, and those dont spawned in gameworld

Tigranes

Arcane
If you hit him the first time because of good timing you will liekly hit with one or two more, as expected.

This simply isn't true, though. If you hit the dude once, you are actually more likely to have the 2nd and 3rd hits blocked than to finish the combo. The enemy parrying in this game is simply obnoxious, even the "ways to break it" don't work properly - both ripostes AND fully charged power attacks usually open up a window of opportunity to get only 1 attack in, after that they just keep blocking again, which is most likely caused by all the fucking ridiculous long-ass pirouettes and shit.

Best just stick to ranged weapons.

Which one? I was talking about R1 mainly there, and G1/2/fixed3 to an extent. In R3, this logical arrangement is absent because of the reasons you listed, and because enemy patterns are fucked up, so that for many enemies, just chaining LMB with the occasional power attack becomes the easiest thing to do.

It's also sad that if you decide during a battle to just stand and wait for them to attack so you can exploit it, quite often they will not do anything for 2 or 3 seconds. Compare that to R1 where, often, the moment you finish a slash and let up they will pounce on that opening, or if you are alert and in block mode they will wait and/or do a power attack.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Out of all action RPGs ive played Risen 1 had the best combat. It's satisfying, needs some tactics and skill, and the progression is very nice.
You need to play some decent console action rpgs, dragons dogma puts all this shit to shame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom