Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ris3n, you are a lady.

You know those pop-up hints like PRESS SPACE TO CLIMB that appear the first time something is introduced?

So after some 15 hours of playing, I get to Taranis.

I approach a door and a hint pops up "PRESS LMB TO OPEN DOOR".

And then I realise that during these 15 hours, I've never seen a single door.

Ho lee fuk.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I bet it will be mega-extra-ultra extremely objective.
200_s.gif

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Why do they change the main char anyway?
The content actually makes much more sense if the main char is the same on from 1&2:
(1) Started as high-level char from 2 and got killed
(2) Old friend Bones came to rescue
(3) Patty & Other old crews got stranded
(4) Jaffer has a mentee now, just like he was yours
(5) Reunited with the Inquisitor
And So On.
Even details make much more sense this way, like when you were talking with the admiral, he said "we" succeeded in first defeating a Titan, then stopping the Titan Lord Mara, while the main char was unhappy that the admiral was taking all the credits.

Best guess: PR department swooped in during production and insisted on new PC to avoid alienating new audiences, storyline was changed to "Patty's brother is a totes cool dude" at last minute.

That's an awful thing to do and comply.
The more I play the game, the more I find out that being the new char does not make sense at all.
For example, the in-game logical reason for your reunion
with the Inquisitor should be obliviously because you have his personal item with you, the titan-seeing monocle.
Now it is just randomly bumping into him as some sort of Underworld gate tour guide.

The setting is trash.

Was there ever an acceptable explanation in risen 2 (didn't finish, it was shit) about why the inquisition went from being an order of warrior monks to 18th century infantry of the line?

Name

Cipher
Why do they change the main char anyway?
The content actually makes much more sense if the main char is the same on from 1&2:
(1) Started as high-level char from 2 and got killed
(2) Old friend Bones came to rescue
(3) Patty & Other old crews got stranded
(4) Jaffer has a mentee now, just like he was yours
(5) Reunited with the Inquisitor
And So On.
Even details make much more sense this way, like when you were talking with the admiral, he said "we" succeeded in first defeating a Titan, then stopping the Titan Lord Mara, while the main char was unhappy that the admiral was taking all the credits.

Best guess: PR department swooped in during production and insisted on new PC to avoid alienating new audiences, storyline was changed to "Patty's brother is a totes cool dude" at last minute.

That's an awful thing to do and comply.
The more I play the game, the more I find out that being the new char does not make sense at all.
For example, the in-game logical reason for your reunion
with the Inquisitor should be obliviously because you have his personal item with you, the titan-seeing monocle.
Now it is just randomly bumping into him as some sort of Underworld gate tour guide.

The setting is trash.

Was there ever an acceptable explanation in risen 2 (didn't finish, it was shit) about why the inquisition went from being an order of warrior monks to 18th century infantry of the line?

No. You get to meet one of the pioneer gunsmiths who revolutionized the arms overnight in Risen 2 though. Also the inquisitor laughs at the new inquisition in Risen 3.
At least in case of Risen 2, we know the reason is that PB wants to jump on the late pirate bandwagon.
But there is just no sense changing the main char in 3. Jumping on the gritty-ussing sisterly incest bandwagon?
Speaking of the setting, just look at the magic systems across the series. Runes, Seals, Crystals, I have no idea who use who now.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Crystals are just the basic magic attack you can use as either a warrior of the order or mage in Risen 1. They probably figured to just go with that since in G1 and G2 most people used the same nuke spells on mages. Rune spells (again this is for R1) are supposed to be 'better' because you can cast them forever whereas as a warrior you need scrolls. Of course there are so many fucking scrolls and money isn't in short supply you'll never suffer from a lack of them. Moreover since rune spells are only situational buffs/nukes and not 'bread and butter' ones like the crystals; you don't need to cast them that much. They abandoned all of that in R2. No idea how it works in R3 since it's $5 or bust.

Felix

Arcane
So just because I refuse to buy a whorish broad a drink, I got Soul - 1 the fuck is that shit ?:rpgcodex:

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
So in other words it doesn't do anything anyway.
Mendoza left me because i had a high soul meter and i got the happy ending.

Here's a description of the 0 soul ending:

I beat the game with 0 soul and all my ending was the main character walking up to the arguing secondary characters, his eyes glow blue for a moment, we cut to the ship sailing off, and then we see the main character's spirit still standing on a cliff's edge on the island as the ship sails off.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had 0 soul meter and 3 followers left me: Jaddar, gay-dude (whatever his name was) and a dude that never joined me (during the quest on Calador where you go with those Game of Thrones: Night Watch dudes, after completing the quest, one told me he wants to join me, after the conversation ended, he started another one right away, telling me I'm evil and he's leaving).

Other than that, nothing ever happened related to my character.

Angthoron

Arcane
I found the humanity meter an amusing mirror of German mentality. Demonstrating human emotions = dropping Humanity meter. Being creepily "nice" = Human meter ++. Okay then, fairly realistic.

Completed the game, had fun. However, what the fuck was it with all the filler combat? I decided to not actually skip it to see how much filler I'd end up with and FUCK this had more filler stuff than Divinity 2. I'd not mind it so much if the opponents were human, if I'd actually have to, like, hunt those fucking monsters for the most part, or stumble across them accidentally, but fuck you Ang, no, have a fill of more fucking spiders, more fucking monkies and some goddamned scavengers. Oh and some dogs and Shadows. Enjoy!

Other than that? Eh. Not bad. Still amused with protagonist's voice.

Also, good thing they had Nameless Hero #1 do a cameo eventually, I was really getting WTF'd about growing back an eye and forgetting everything about the world and a facelift and Patty as sister.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
My final build

Nice photoshop.
Not photoshop. It's possible with permanent stat increasing potions. I completed the game in 52 hours, explored all islands, solved all possible quests. Except Skull Island, that was kind of pointless. I completed all quests on Skull Island but didn't explore it fully.

But i think if you can get the +10% xp bonus item in Fog Island right after the tutorial then you can max most stats without potions. I found that item too late.

I don't think so...while I didn't have the bonus item right at the beginning, I did get it maybe a few hours later. I've pretty much completed every quest (did't do maybe 3 or 4 of them), explored just about every inch of the world, killed every baddy I ran into, and didn't even come close to having enough xp to max all my stats much less even 2 of them. The only way is via stat potions, though I wasn't able to max them all that way either. Granted I may have missed a bunch of them I guess...right now I'm at 45 hours and at Skull Island so I did take my sweet time.

There are ways to fuck it up with permanent potions by eating the plants (+2 stat/plant versus +5 stat/potion) but I did all the quests except the Fog Island. I already posted my final stats and I think @balmoral is full of shit.

There is no way to maximize all stats in this game therefore I challenge balmorar to upload a in-game video of his character. Do you feel lucky, punk?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/w5sz4pltfscl5lt/risen 3.mp4

And I lost because I'm a retard which did not think about this kind of crap: http://www.cheathappens.com/20449-PC-Risen_3_Titan_Lords_cheats

Claim your prize, punk.
It's not cheat, You can make about 10 stat increasing potions for each stat, that's 50 points, you just have to increase your stats to 50 or 55 if you have the legendary item then drink the potions you idiot fuck.

10 potions per stat + 10% Glory artifact + increases from Legendaries + stats raised up to ~50 that means that you are right about this. And yes, I'm an idiot. I deserve it.

On the other hand, the game is really easy and knowing that you can actually have all max stats is really shitty. No need to enumerate the reasons why.

GrainWetski

Arcane

Do people actually take Angry Joe seriously? I thought people watched him because they thought he was funny(not sure how someone could find him funny, but I have to make up a reason..)? He might as well work for Kotaku with all the hyperbole and lying he does in his videos.

This game is imbalanced in that it's way too easy after the "tutorial" island.

Tytus

Arcane

Do people actually take Angry Joe seriously? I thought people watched him because they thought he was funny(not sure how someone could find him funny, but I have to make up a reason..)? He might as well work for Kotaku with all the hyperbole and lying he does in his videos.

This game is imbalanced in that it's way too easy after the "tutorial" island.

The guy from the video lost me, when he called Gothic a hardcore rpg.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
DUDE GUARDIAN GENERAL BRO, ONE OF YOUR CADETS IS A TRAITOR AND WILL BLOW UP YOUR THINGAMABOB

Oh? I saw him going that way a few minutes ago.

KTHX THAT'S ALL I NEEDED

no other reaction

finally at endgame island

my torment is going to end soon

i think this game is actually worse than ri2en in the long run

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
After a few upgrades (riposte, faster weapon swing) combat against monsters is definitely better than derpy "who's gonna stunlock whom first" in Risen 2. Plays a bit too much like Witcher 2 (roll in, do a combo and roll out, rinse and repeat) but you have more of a control of the situation and it feels like if you get hit it's your fault not of the crappy game system.

It's combat against humans that I think took a downturn for the worse (Risen 2 was actually decent in that regard with dirty tricks, setting up the power riposte etc.), they're way too passive, it's too easy to time the riposte, don't use their advantage in numbers (unlike for example scavengers who're happy to surround you and pounce at you from all sides) etc. the only ones that are somewhat dangerous are melee combatants that also use quickfire spells (mages and musket wielders can't block which means they're dead).

Also, exploration is just plain better than in Risen 2, sure too many invisible walls/teleport you back to the shore crap but islands while usually smallish in size are reasonably open and vary in appereance (compare Fog Island to Kila for example), there's also a lot of goodies for you to find (stat plants, chests, ore deposits etc.).

Crystal and Rune magic being back could be also considered a plus, shame they're completely broken (enemies can't even fucking damage me when using DH protection buff with 140-150 in Rune magic, it's ridiculous) but then the game is overall by far the easiest PB title overall. I mean, sure In every one of their games you end up being a killing machine but it's usually toward the end of the game and/or when you explore/do a lot of the content, in Risen 3 you're a God after 7-8 hours of play (without metagaming).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh, I agree with just about everything you've posted. But it's just that for every improvement Ris3n has introduced, there's at least one big "but..."

After a few upgrades (riposte, faster weapon swing) combat against monsters is definitely better than derpy "who's gonna stunlock whom first" in Risen 2.

All true, but the "novelty" fades away very quickly, even before you get those few upgrades, once you realise you keep fighting the same fucking enemies all the time.

Also, exploration is just plain better than in Risen 2

Again, yes. But it's just as unrewarding as Ri2en. You keep running around stabbing them scavengers and ghouls and grave spiders, and all you find is usually an 80+ locked chest. This is infuriating as all fuck at the start when you can't open them after genociding half the jungle or feeling clever that you found a secret, even more infuriating once you get the sufficient lockpicking and return to the place just to find 100 gold and 1 rum, and just lame once you keep playing and stumbling upon these chests that ALWAYS HAVE NOTHING BUT GARBAGE inside. Garbage that you don't even need at the point when you finally CAN open them. I won't even bother to talk about ore deposits because they give jack shit and retain the retarded long-ass pickaxe swinging animation from Ri2en.

And then comes the subject of enemy variety while exploring, which only adds up to all the infuriating factors this game possesses. WHO IN THE EVERLOVING FUCK DESIGNED KILA??? That's right, game, keep throwing EVEN MORE +50 glory spiders at me, butchering a HUNDRED of them wasn't enough, I definitely need to lawnmaw ANOTHER FUCKING HUNDRED.

JESUS

Not to mention that it would appear my natural luck (tm) has made me choose a course of island-hopping that was just getting more and more fucking annoying. I started off with Calador, which was kind of alright, sort of Gothic-ish at times. Then I went for Antigua, which was so small I couldn't care about it too much. Then came Tacarigua, which was also small, but it was there that I started getting annoyed at pointless running back and forth and smacking around the same fucking enemies all the time, but it had a slight improvement in writing compared to all the other atrocities. But then came Taranis, which, being the biggest in the game, I believe, had the BIGGEST BOATLOAD OF SCAVENGERS, SAND DEVILS AND GIANT CRABS YET, which changed my annoyed status into full on pissed off status. And then finally came Eight-Legged Freaks: Risen Edition, which was motherfucking Kila. I don't even remember whether Kila or Taranis also had the biggest amounts of pointless running back and forth, but I think it was Kila as well (WHY DO YOU KEEP SENDING ME OFF TO THAT ISLAND IN THE NORTH ALL THE TIME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA).

So yes. There is a lot more to do than in Ri2en. The maps are bigger and more opened, yes. But in some completely bizarre way, this doesn't actually count as the game's strength, it even becomes the fucking contrary. I can't believe that going through Kila I actually started missing those corridor islands from Ri2en because that shit at least was over with quickly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom