Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen: Bandits? Order?

Don Peste

Arcane
Hi. I've recently started Risen. I came across the gates of the city, and the monks took me down and forced me to join them. Now, will I be able to do the bandits quests? I haven't even entered their camp yet. Am I going to lose all of their quests?
thanks

PS: Nice game. Any other similar titles?

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
If you voluntarily join the Order (by not getting captured by them but by working for them in the city) you can become a mage and it is the only way of becoming one. It's actually somewhat interesting depending on your personal ethics, as both sides aren't exactly what they appear to be at first glance. Additionally I found the mage quest line to be the most entertaining option.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
You are not screwed, unless you pledge alliance with the inquisition. Find the Don contact in the city and start doing quests for him.

PS: Nice game. Any other similar titles?
Gothic 1, 2, and 3.
No, this is wrong. The second the monks beat you and force you to join the Order, you're in and that's that. I don't know whether you can do the bandit quests (you probably can't) but you definitely can't join them. This happened to me the first time I played and I thought that I could escape the monastery and join the bandits, but it turns out you can't.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ That is correct. You can probably do some quests in the bandits camp but not the ones that actually allow you to join them. Might seem annoying but the game -- through the story -- affirmatively warns you that anyone caught by the Inquisition is forced into joining them.

As far as differences down the road: only the tail end of the first chapter plays out in unique variants. After that the game is basically the same/linear with only minor differences.

Don Peste

Arcane
Scheiße... I guess I should restart.
thanks

So, similar games? I know of:

Gothic - Arcania
Two Worlds :(
Interpally
Bethesda
Bioware
Avellone
Troika

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic - Arcania

LOL NO

Arcania is the worst game ever. Check out Darth Roxor's review here on the Codex and you'll see why. It's shit, avoid it.

Gothic 1, 2 and 3 are your best bets. Also try Arx Fatalis, you'll probably enjoy it if you like Gothic.

Don Peste

Arcane
I know. Anyway, I might try Arcania someday, with the proper patches.

Right know, let's try Divinity 2 and Gothic. I remember playing Gothic demo back in the day. I hope it aged well.

And I've got Arx Fatalis. Great one.

LordDenton

Augur
No, this is wrong. The second the monks beat you and force you to join the Order, you're in and that's that. I don't know whether you can do the bandit quests (you probably can't) but you definitely can't join them. This happened to me the first time I played and I thought that I could escape the monastery and join the bandits, but it turns out you can't.
You are right. I was thinking of Harbor Town, and forgot that you are actually sent to the monastery if captured. :oops:

LordDenton

Augur

No amount of patching can fix Arcania. Arcania is not even close to pre-patch Gothic 3. While the good gameplay in Gothic 3 was hampered by bugs, the gameplay in Arcania is actually horrible.

So unless by patching you mean recreate the entire game from scratch (not exactly worth the effort), it's a good idea to simply forget about it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Arcania is beyond redemption. I played it for about ten hours before I just couldn't stand the horrible writing, quests, characters, etc. It's bad. As in... lazy bad. As in... you could probably round up five random people on the street and they would produce more compelling characters and quests.

Go play Gothic 1, it holds up very well if you aren't a graphics whore.

sser

Arcane
Developer
As stated, when you're caught you're in. And that's it. Now, the monks have one interesting quest, but I think mage combat is lacking in the game. Melee was pretty interesting for me, personally. I sucked at it, thus it provided a pretty solid challenge.

Malpercio

Arcane
I can't even image playing Risen with a mage, and this comes from someone who ALWAYS play as a mage. You miss half of the fun in Risen.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Right know, let's try Divinity 2 and Gothic. I remember playing Gothic demo back in the day. I hope it aged well.

Don't mistake the criticisms of Arcania for the usual Codex hyperbole, it really is that bad. On the other hand the early Gothics are must plays so have fun!

Nim

Augur
How the fuck could you miss all the warnings ? Literally any NPC you meet in the beginning tells you what happens if the inquisition gets you. Anyway, next time go do the bandit quest as far as possible without joining and then go become a mage. The few bandit quests you miss aren't any special compared to the monastery ones imo.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Actually if you really feel like punishing yourself with Arcania, play Arcania: Fall of Setarrif instead. All the derp of Arcania condensed into a bite sized 10 hour package.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I can't even image playing Risen with a mage, and this comes from someone who ALWAYS play as a mage. You miss half of the fun in Risen.
Playing as a frost-magic-using battlemage is the best because it makes the moles quicker to pop and there are so many in chapters 3 and 4.

Tigranes

Arcane
Risen is worth playing twice with both branches, until you get to Chapter 3(?). Then it's kind of crap. Same with the three Gothics, really.

There is really no justification for playing Arcania before you have sucked all the fun out of the above games. And just about anything else that is remotely fun in the universe.

Malpercio

Arcane
Playing as a frost-magic-using battlemage is the best because it makes the moles quicker to pop and there are so many in chapters 3 and 4.

I dunno, i thought Risen Battle System was actually fun, so it's kinda a waste to play a mage. I do agree that there were too many filler mobs in Chapter 3 and 4, though.

Don Peste

Arcane
Thanks everybody, I knew I could count on you.

Playing Gothic (GoG) right now. Looks OK. Divinity II... disappointing...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lots of people on Codex recommended Divinity II but I just can't get past the Gamebryo engine. Really terrible for ARPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom