Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen problem (i be retarded)

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
There are ancient Risen threads, but i better make it here for quicker embarrassment.

I never finished Risen few years back, but went through most of the game. Left in the final parts, where i had to go to some temple to do thingies. Stopped because bored and went to do other things. Now i decided to finish the game once and for all, because it's my duty. :salute: But i'm stuck.
To be clear, i'm not at the stage mentioned in the last couple of screens/texts in this walkthrough: http://guides.gamepressure.com/risen/guide.asp?ID=8389

I have defeated every monster in the area. Opened every door. Interacted with every winch/lever. What i was expecting is for the big door-like-thing that according to the map is behind 3 green lines to open, but it doesn't no matter what kind of combination of lever winch pull i do. In the walktrough there is this line that makes me confused:
Pull the lever (small, black dot) which will open a passage to the main room.
What kind of leve ''small black dot'' does it mean? Am i blind or need quest compass. The big door never opens although i hear some beast roaring behind it. I've explored the shit out of that area. HALP!

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
k, i figured out that the funny yellow button has three different conditions instead of two so it's all good. Found my way.
I'm still retarded.

Can delete thread or use it for trolling.

Btw, why all the vidya always need the ''final dungeon'' which is always boring and sucks ass?

edit:

OKAY, this is even better. I obtained one of the titan armor pieces i suppose i should have to beat game, but now i don't know where the fuck am i supposed to go to search for other 4 pieces, because last time i touched the game was roughly 2 years ago. You know, sometimes quest compass is not such a bad thing. I basically don't know where the fuck i must go now, because the quest journal doesn't give even the slightest verbal indication of the locations of other temples/dungeons (not even east/west/north/south shit).

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
The ''epic final dungeon'' is not Piranha thing. It plagues every fucking rpg in existence and not only rpgs, shooters too.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
OKAY, this is even better. I obtained one of the titan armor pieces i suppose i should have to beat game, but now i don't know where the fuck am i supposed to go to search for other 4 pieces, because last time i touched the game was roughly 2 years ago. You know, sometimes quest compass is not such a bad thing. I basically don't know where the fuck i must go now, because the quest journal doesn't give even the slightest verbal indication of the locations of other temples/dungeons (not even east/west/north/south shit).

IIRC, you can general directions by opening the quest log, selecting the relevant quest for collecting the armour, and then clicking the "Quest Map" tab on the right.

Alex

Arcane
The ''epic final dungeon'' is not Piranha thing. It plagues every fucking rpg in existence and not only rpgs, shooters too.

Maybe but...

The final boss where suddenly the game becomes zelda and you need to hit the thing 3 times feels like a Piranha Bytes thing.

Tigranes

Arcane
A PB game is like shit curdles at the bottom of a tub of ice cream. You really should stop when you hit the black, but too often you keep going, the taste of the former masking the latter until you're really knee deep in it. Then Xardas calls you a moron and you hit the credits.

A PB game is like shit curdles at the bottom of a tub of ice cream. You really should stop when you hit the black, but too often you keep going, the taste of the former masking the latter until you're really knee deep in it. Then Xardas calls you a moron and you hit the credits.

Have you been drinking?

Risen is a great game.

I didn't finish it though.

Tigranes

Arcane
Correction: A PB game is like a tub of ice cream with shit curdles at the bottom.

It's well known how much I like Risen.

Don't you have quest markers telling you where to go? The temples are all underground so you have to search a little bit but it should be clear.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
K, thx bros. Had forgotten about the quest map and somehow missed it, only looked at the world/region map via M button.

As for gimmicky boss fights, that is also a standard cliche in many games, including ar-pee-gees. Don't see how Piranha is more at fault for that. This is a rule of a thumb that in most vidya final stages are the most boring, dragged out parts. Whether it is because devs are tired or rushing deadlines by the time or the stupid belief that every game needs to end with something 'epic', i dunno. Both original Fallouts had fine, down to earth endings even if there was a 'boss' encounter in the end. Can't think of any other game that escaped from forced epic finale though.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
So, i got the armor pieces, the druid repaired it, but only quest on my log is still ''talk to the druid about temple'' thing. Where is the final boss?

A user named cat

I can't offer any help because the last chunk of that game was a blur in my memory. Honestly you'd be fine just quitting now and uninstalling. You're not missing anything or any kind of epic conclusion and it's not like you play a PB game for its enthralling story, so who cares. The whole final stretch in that game is pretty terrible and pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:
The penultimate boss is alright. Not "you spent 1/3rd of the game going through the same endless underground labyrinths to build a key to unlock fighting me" good but at least it has some level of emotional impact. The final boss is perhaps the worst possible boss fight ever, if it was any worse it would be humorously bad and therefore better.

Beastro

Arcane
Dunno wtf you're having so much trouble near the ending. All I remember from it was effectively a corridor of A to B to C and finished Chapter Four in one sitting once I realized how stunted it was going to be.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Risen is a great game.

That is why, it's great at the start, wait till you get to the end.
the best part is when you're in the town and monastery/swamp. that's where you get alot of NPC interaction, interesting quests, alot of interesting stuff to explore, etc etc.

after you finish your training it just became "collect 5 disc keys, collect 5 runes to open the boss door, etc etc"

it really did fell off towards the end

Beastro

Arcane
Risen is a great game.

That is why, it's great at the start, wait till you get to the end.
the best part is when you're in the town and monastery/swamp. that's where you get alot of NPC interaction, interesting quests, alot of interesting stuff to explore, etc etc.

after you finish your training it just became "collect 5 disc keys, collect 5 runes to open the boss door, etc etc"

it really did fell off towards the end

The first chapter is the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom