Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Risen trilogy > the rest

Cadmus

Arcane
I liked adddeed, he's got a certain charm to his retardation that makes it his own.
Still waiting for someone to point me to a better game than Risen or its sequels, other than Gothic which is more or less the same as we all know, though not better.
You could try Dark Souls if you haven't already.

throwaway

Cipher
Can we please discuss the absurdity of using the term aRPG when referring to games such as Gothic/Risen/The Witcher(1)?

It bundles games in which combat is ~50% (/important but far from absolutely paramount) of the gameplay time up in the same group as the Diablo/Sarced/Titan Quest only in virtue of its combat system not being TB or RTWP while stuff like IWD get a "purer" tag despite being basically 90% combat(=action).

Last edited:

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
Risen games are in the same category as Two Worlds, Gothics, Divinity -- janky, cheesey, heavily flawed games that still managed to grab me, give me near-unprecedented freedom (without being procedural or roguelike) and pulled me aware from more AAA titles each and every time I picked one up. Risen games are part of why i always try to give shittilly reviewed games (6/7 on mainstream sites) at least a bit of a go, because you never know it might be my GOTY.

Alfons

Prophet
Ive heard similar about risen 2 yet it was an excellent game.
Good for you buddy! Way to uphold your
possibly_retarded.png
reputation. :salute:
39631.jpg

Doktor Best

Arcane
Ive heard similar about risen 2 yet it was an excellent game.
Good for you buddy! Way to uphold your
possibly_retarded.png
reputation. :salute:
39631.jpg

Yeah well we all like to use the word retard, but to use mockery pictures of actual disabled people is the best way to show the world how fucking degenerated you are.

Alfons

Prophet
Yeah well we all like to use the word retard, but to use mockery pictures of actual disabled people is the best way to show the world how fucking degenerated you are.
I'm sure invalids and retards around the world are crying right now because of it.

T. Reich

Arcane
I wish euthanasia would be managed by voting...
Indeed. Then we could get rid of the Witcher drones in one swoop.

Are you crazy? This place is crawling with them! If you allow those peasants to vote, it's the prestigious monocled gentlemen who will face the gallows, not the other way around!
Just look at what democracy did to Kwa and EU and think about implementing a voting system again.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ultima IX was the closest thing the PC had to Zelda : Ocarina of Time. It felt more like a port of that particular game design than inspired by Ultima. It follows the exact same structure of town/dungeon/abilities (spells being unlocked), with the world opening more and more, and the game revolving around 8 dungeons/palaces.

I liked it. It was flawed and definitely not the game I wanted it to be, but besides the awful writing and lacking features compared to Ultima 7, I had a fun time.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I believe it was more modeled off the Tomb Raider series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom