Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam from Tripwire Interactive

Latro

Arcane
I only have a radeon 5800, if I can run RO2 can I run this

plz respond

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Even if you can run it, your chances enjoying it are very low.

And yes, if you order the game they remove the exe until the 30th. Kind of pisses me off already that they made it sound like the open beta would run until release day and now I'm stuck with a preordered game that I cannot run.

Sentinel

Arcane
Where did they make it sound like the open beta would run until release?

I checked multiple times in their "open beta is live!" post for the end date of said beta to know until when I could play.

Burning Bridges

I guess most people were fooled by the headline "RISING STORM 2: VIETNAM OFFICIALLY GOES INTO ACTION ON MAY 30th, CELEBRATES ANNOUNCEMENT WITH OPEN BETA"

What's the point of announcing the start of open beta when its just a free weekend and then back to only their inner circle playing the game. And all the time offering the game for preorder pre-purchase so people must think they get beta access. It can only be to bait and deceive. I dont know what the devs are intending to say but what I hear is "we wanted to sell as early as possible to as many people as possible but without anyone playing.

Sentinel

Arcane
And all the time offering the game for preorder pre-purchase so people must think they get beta access
Because people who pre-ordered DID get access to the closed beta wave. They removed the "Pre-order now and get access to closed beta!" chunk of the store after the closed beta was over, no one was fooled except for retards who can't read before buying a product.
What's the point of announcing the start of open beta when its just a free weekend
The open beta had been announced like 2 months ago back when we were still in Closed Beta 4 or 5. If you find the fact that an open beta lets anyone access it surprising, then I really don't know what to say other than call you a fucking retard.
and then back to only their inner circle playing the game.
Who's "they"? Because no one right now has access to the game. Not closed beta invites, not closed beta pre-purchases.

Sentinel

Arcane
Thankfully, you don't need to read any announcements, since the store page gave you all the accurate info.

Learn to read, nigger.

Burning Bridges

I think you will like it. It's newer, run very smooth and the athmosphere is intense. I personally tried the old games but could never get into them because they had horrible graphics filters (brown / blue etc). I like the visuals in the new game much more, it has vibrance and very realistic colors. On the downside it is not crisp over long distances, it has the usual modern blurriness, but this helps to make the action more intense. Because if you you can see enemies at 500m without binoculars it'd evolves into match. Right now you don't have bots. Well actually, you can enable them via the console but they just stand around on most maps.

Sentinel

Arcane
How's the game compared to RO2?
I like both. I didn't buy the game, but from what I played from Closed Beta 4 up until Open Beta, movement is improved, weapon handling is also better, the retarded cover system is gone and replaced by dynamic cover that just works.
However, don't expect slow firefights over long distances like in RO2. The game is faster paced. It's squads of 5 people running around constantly on the move. The slow methodical pushes from RO2 are gone.
Another thing you should be weary of is that there's pretty much only 5 maps (2 of them are on a battlefield-clone game mode that is quite terrible imo).
It's a very good game for the setting though. I chose to wait for the upcoming inevitable faction DLC with additional maps + sale.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
I'm starting to see lines forming and it's not as random as it was during beta but there's plenty of opportunity for flanking specially as the vietcongs since the burgers need the squad mates to protect their ass I've tried infiltrating enemy lines a few times and they just stand behind me, take point faggots. Lots of 100m shots thought it'd be less common with auto but they are still there.

Burning Bridges

A problem I have is that I get killed more by artillery and helicopters than by enemy fire. This may be all good for certain game modes but in the long run it sucks. It may be somewhat realistic on the American side, but even the Vietcong can spam artillery fire. I get teamkilled a lot because some leader orders artillery strikes with 5 seconds warning or no warning at all. This morning one even shelled my squad tunnel. This is all a bit demotivating. Also building tunnels, mining, puji traps etc is severely limited because you have to click many times even if the marker is white, often just cancels by itself, and during all those seconds you remain vulnerable.

Jinn

Arcane
A problem I have is that I get killed more by artillery and helicopters than by enemy fire. This may be all good for certain game modes but in the long run it sucks. It may be somewhat realistic on the American side, but even the Vietcong can spam artillery fire. I get teamkilled a lot because some leader orders artillery strikes with 5 seconds warning or no warning at all. This morning one even shelled my squad tunnel. This is all a bit demotivating. Also building tunnels, mining, puji traps etc is severely limited because you have to click many times even if the marker is white, often just cancels by itself, and during all those seconds you remain vulnerable.

This hasn't been a huge noticeable problem for me, particularly compared to my time with Red Orchestra 2. Usually if I find some somewhat suitable cover (bunker, tunnel, under a big tree, under a makeshift hut roof, etc.) I make it through the barrage without a problem. Napalm can be tricky sometimes though.

Burning Bridges

I probably still do the wrong things. Yesterday I shot down the recon plane with a static HMG, and was not even awarded a single point for it.

Latro

Arcane
Does RS2 still do that dumb shit where most of the foliage is optional and doesn't render if you set it low?

Burning Bridges

Good, question. I think it will to some extent but I havent noticed this.

What I can say that the frame rates are very high and graphics is rather crude. No matter what I put in in video options, my framrate seems to be glued at 60-62 fps (even with Nvidia DSR resolutions) So I think they may have tried to eliminate any advantage different graphics settings would give you at long distance (in short distance foliage renders that I am quite sure of as I often hide in bushes and mow down any GIs who run past).

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Does RS2 still do that dumb shit where most of the foliage is optional and doesn't render if you set it low?

This has been the bane of jungle based shooters since BF:Vietnam. I actually got into a situation in Hue City where it would have made quite a difference if the VC player had grass turned off, but I haven't noticed anything yet.
Most maps seem to be designed around larger vegetation, which is generally static meshes (like the massive hedges and trees on Song Be I believe). So if you actually take cover somewhere in a bush that thing probably won't disappear for far away players. For near vegetation (grass, small plants - basically decorative props) it might be different.

How's the game compared to RO2?

Much like RS1 it is pretty infantry heavy. It's a bit more varied though, thanks to helicopters, napalm, traps, etc.
Still kinda missing tanks though.

Burning Bridges

This hasn't been a huge noticeable problem for me, particularly compared to my time with Red Orchestra 2. Usually if I find some somewhat suitable cover (bunker, tunnel, under a big tree, under a makeshift hut roof, etc.) I make it through the barrage without a problem. Napalm can be tricky sometimes though.

Do you play combined arms or infantry games? Because I can not understand how anyone can play the Vietcong without constantly getting killed by helicopters, arty strikes etc which seem to occur every few minutes.

The problem is probably that I dont know most of the tunnels at Hill 938 for example, I get killed three times as much from helicopter / napalm than I am from infantry. Which currently kills the fun for me. The only way I can continue playing this game is practice the maps with bots until I understand all tunnels, as people seem to navigate the map blinds, and all improvised tactics amounts to nothing.

Still getting myself some decent kills with puji traps and mines but that is probably just as retarded as the constant dying from artillery barrages.

Jinn

Arcane
I play both combined arms and infantry games. It might not be the type of game for you if you mind dying, because the game is more about squads and full armies moving in tandem to achieve their goals. Surviving is always good, getting kills is always good, but the main goal is to capture that point together, or defend that point together. One life doesn't matter. But you really shouldn't be dying all that much unless you are completely not paying attention to your surroundings and only focusing on trying to get kills.

Burning Bridges

Nah, not so much how often I die, I probably die less than most people. I just don't know if it's really my kind of game if you get barraged most of the time, often by your own side.

Jinn

Arcane
Nah, not so much how often I die, I probably die less than most people. I just don't know if it's really my kind of game if you get barraged most of the time, often by your own side.

Maybe try some different servers? It's just weird because what you're describing is what I was worried was going to happen in this game, but it's been the complete opposite in my experience. People have been really responsible with their barrage drops, barrages haven't seemed overwhelmingly frequent, and cover has been cleverly designed and works well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom