Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rob Pardo leaves Blizzard

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Rob Pardo 'round 2007-2008 TBC

"Q: Have you considered micro-transactions in WoW?"
A: "We chose to go with the subscription-based model instead of that approach. We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW. Outside resources don't play into it -- no gold buying, etc. We take a hard line stance against it. What you get out of microtransactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it. I think that's something else you have to decide on up-front instead of implementing later."

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
There's nothing wrong with selling cosmetic content (untradeable mounts and pets) to retards.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Oh, there is plenty of wrong with it when it comes to the integrity and world-design! Shop-shit like that breaks muh immershun.

Besides, you can sell your store-bought pets for golds in AH these days. :p

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
PimpUI.jpg

I feel like I'm really there!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's 2005 artwork on a 2002ish engine. Well, not even 2006sh artwork. That raid instance was 2006 but the wood texture is the same you'd see for any other dock made of planks so... 2002ish or earlier (whenever this thing was in alpha) artwork!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Karazan was the first unique looking raid. Black Temple was fairly solid, too. Before that most raid dungeons were large corridors of recycled artwork.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
I dunno, original Naxxramas did look rather sweet even though suffering a bit from overly large corridors design.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There's little to possibly no difference in the art assets of 'original' Naxx and the recycled version. Naxx was the first raid that had somewhat more involved boss mechanics (excluding C'Thun which was sufficiently interesting) but looks-wise it was fairly generic. Karazhan was the first one that they put real effort into making look cool. Same with Ulduar.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They had it in Amalur and it sucked. There's some massive elf city that's almost the size of Darnassus and, like Darnassus 90% of it is empty nothingness. It's understandable in a game like WoW where you expect there to be hundreds of players running around but utterly pointless in a single player game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
where the fuck is the thread where old EQ players get to wax nostalgic?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
They had it in Amalur and it sucked. There's some massive elf city that's almost the size of Darnassus and, like Darnassus 90% of it is empty nothingness. It's understandable in a game like WoW where you expect there to be hundreds of players running around but utterly pointless in a single player game.

Unless the single player game in question is an RPG.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No it's pointless regardless. If there's no meaningful content then it's empty filler for E-Larpers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah. If there is no meaningful content, it sucks. Brilliant argument. Like that doesn't apply to small cities as well, or the whole of a game for that matter.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
I dare to say that most vanilla content was actually meaningful. It didn't make you super-hero sure, but each town, each place had it's own issues, be them well written or not. And getting item that was actually good every ten quest instead of +1 item every quest was amazing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And 9 times out of 10 single player games have large cities just for the sake of being large.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
I'm also drunk atm so whatever I say is probably a lie. Except the hot chick part, I actually find those <.>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom