Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

'Robot Cache - Brian Fargo's blockchain-based digital store that lets you resell games

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bros, stop being so easily triggered and focus on some real, juicy drama: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/01/16/robot-cache-blockchain-digital-games-store/

Fargo just founded an online game store based on block-chain and cryptocurrency, that allows you to resell games.

:hmmm:

New digital store Robot Cache will use blockchain to let users resell games

robot-cache.jpg

Being able to sell used copies of digital games is an idea that gets kicked around every so often, and now it’s back with a web 3.0 digital cyberpyramid blockchain cryptocurrency twist. New digital store Robot Cache will let people resell games and receive 25% of the cash back – in cryptocurrency. Yes, of course it’s built on cryptocurrency, because everything is now. “Quick, get in on Muttoncoin while you can!” they tell me. “Clarksoncoin is going nuclear,” I’m warned. It does sound like Robot Cache are running screaming after the latest Silicon Valley fad but: 1) used digital game sales is still an interesting idea; 2) the company is co-founded by Brian Fargo, the founder of Torment: Tides of Nuemenera devs inXile Entertainment.

So! Let’s skip over the technical guts for now. Robot Cache is due to launch later this year, some time from April to June, and sell games in that digital games store way. People will be able to sell games they own, though they’ll only receive 25% of the sale back–and only in the store’s own cryptocurrency, not real money–as the rest will go to the developers and the store. They’ll then be able to spend this cybercash on other games from the store.

Robot Cache don’t name a lineup of devs whose games they will sell and that does seem a fairly vital part of whether this store is interesting or not. If no games you want are on it, who cares what you can get back for a game? Robot Cache are trying to woo devs with solid-sounding terms, letting them set their own sale and resale prices then receiving 95% of proceeds from new game sales, which is far more than most stores, and 70% on used sales.

The idea of using a blockchain to track copies of games changing hands (presumably tied to some form of DRM from the store) is an interesting one.

Let’s get very slightly technical: a blockchain is sort of a publicly-shared digital ledger which tracks ownership as cyberthings change hands. You might have heard of the tech as the foundation of digital currencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dogecoin, Ethereum Classic, Burstcoin, BlackCoin, Vertcoin, Zcash, Electroneum, Titcoin, PotCoin ZetaCoin, Coinye West, Catcoin, Feathercoin, Primecoin, Gridcoin, Emercoin, Peercoin, and Swiftcoin. This cybercash is earned essentially by spending money on your electricity bill, ‘mined’ by running intense calculations on a computer. We can now add Robot Cache’s own Iron to the ever-growing list of cryptocurrencies.

If you resell a game on Robot Cache, you’ll be paid in Iron, which can be spent on more games on Robot Cache. Or you can mine for more Iron through the client, slowly buying it with electricity.

Actually, if you want to know more about cryptocurrencies, The Guardian have a primerand they’re hardly the most intimidating technoheads.

I am pulling dismissive faces and making “Pssh!” noises because whacking cybercash on an existing idea is a hot and wholly ludicrous trend these days. Everything is Bitcoins and blockchains, even though half the people urging people to invest can’t explain what any of it is or what you can even spend it on. Bitcoin has become mired in damn nonsense and hype which mostly serves to make investors wealthier. The fad is daft enough that a drinks company saw its share prices quadruple after announcing plans to rename itself from Long Island Iced Tea Corp to Long Blockchain Corp.

Blockchain and cryptocurrency tech can be genuinely useful but it’s such early days and there’s so much nonsense that I’m wary of any company shouting “We have a cryptocurrency too!” It seems especially irresponsible considering that the Bitcoin network alone reportedly uses as much electricity as all Denmark. But I’m happy for Robot Cache to prove me wrong.

Either way, Robot Cache is still worth pointing out. The idea of digital used game sales drifts around but rarely seems to get anywhere, so here’s your update on the latest crack at it. Digital store Green Man Gaming hardheartedly tried trade-ins a few years back, before switching mostly to selling Steam keys, but Robot Cache are certainly going for it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Reselling is a good idea actually... But only 25%? With cryptocurrencies? Pfffft

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news/...using-blockchain-technology-with-robot-cache/

Brian Fargo wants to sell PC games using blockchain technology with Robot Cache

A new games storefront thinks that it can take on Steam using blockchain tech.

Robot Cache is a new decentralised platform founded by InXile's Brian Fargo, which claims to have lower fees for publisher and developers as well as letting consumers sell their digital PC games.

The announcement press release says that companies selling their games on the store will retain up to 95 per cent of revenue – something Robot Cache claims is 25 per cent higher than the industry standard.

Furthermore, there's a digital resale market, with companies able to set prices on resale and earn 70 per cent of proceeds. Gamers retain 25 per cent of proceeds from resale, with the other 10 per cent presumably going to Robot Cache. Trading in digital games isn't a new concept and was actually one of the core ideas behind Green Man Gaming. You can only get the cryptocurrency IRON from reselling games, too.

Gamers can also get involved with mining cryptocurrency if they fancy, too.

Oh, and the company is based in the tax haven that is the Canary Islands which is an interesting detail. Not that that's unheard of in video games – Grand Theft Auto giant Take-Two is based in the US tax haven of Delaware, for example.

“Earning any money on the video game resale market is unheard of for game publishers, and earning up to 70 per cent, which is equivalent to the best margins publishers and developers currently receive on today’s most popular digital distributions platforms is crazy," Fargo said.

"Allowing creators to keep 95 per cent of new game sales, and 70 per cent on game resales, provides developers, like us at inXile, with a strong financial stream. This gives us more resources to create new content and new IPs for fans."

CEO Lee Jacobson added: “Just a handful of companies dominate the multi-billion dollar digital download PC video games market. Robot Cache plans to revolutionise the industry by launching the first-ever workable decentralised video game marketplace that benefits both the creators of video games and gamers. All of this is accomplished by expertly leveraging the power, flexibility, safety, and transparency of blockchain technology."

Keep an eye out for our upcoming interview Fargo about Robot Cache.

http://www.pcgamer.com/robot-cache-...-that-will-let-you-buy-and-sell-games-online/

Robot Cache is an upcoming digital storefront that will let you buy and sell games online
The new Steam competitor, founded by inXile boss Brian Fargo, wields the power of the blockchain.

InXile Entertainment CEO Brian Fargo has unveiled a new, blockchain-based digital distribution platform called Robot Cache that will enable gamers to buy games, just as they do on any other platform, and then resell them when they're finished. Robot Cache will also have its own cryptocurrency called Iron, earned through mining or game resales, that can be used for games purchases or cashed out.

"Just a handful of companies dominate the multi-billion dollar digital download PC video games market," Robot Cache CEO Lee Jacobson said. "Robot Cache plans to revolutionize the industry by launching the first-ever workable decentralized video game marketplace that benefits both the creators of video games and gamers. All of this is accomplished by expertly leveraging the power, flexibility, safety, and transparency of blockchain technology."

It may sound like a good start to a "buzzword bingo" card, but the use of blockchain technology is specifically what enables the resale of digital games, according to Robot Cache. "The blockchain is the most secure technology that we know of for insuring there are not duplicate copies of items and that faith is one of the key factors to giving the publishers confidence in trusting a service that allows for a resale of a game," a Robot Cache rep explained. "In addition, it allows for a lower cost of distribution which gives us extra margin to share with gamers for a resale."

Robot Cache promises big benefits for game developers and publishers, too. Both Steam and GOG take a 30 percent cut of games sold through their platforms, but game makers will keep 95 percent of revenues earned through new game sales on Robot Cache. They will also take in 70 percent of revenues earned from the resale of used games, addressing a long-standing beef that publishers have with pre-owned game sales at retail outlets, while 25 percent will go to the former owner in the form of Iron.

"Allowing creators to keep 95 percent of new game sales, and 70 percent on game resales, provides developers, like us at inXile, with a strong financial stream," Fargo said. "This gives us more resources to create new content and new IPs for fans."

Robot Cache is slated to launch in the second quarter of this year, and promises to be a "full-featured and live platform" when it goes live. "Robot Cache expects to offer the latest and greatest video games on the Robot Cache platform for gamers’ immediate enjoyment," the company said.

Will it work? There's plenty to be skeptical about, especially when it comes to the embrace of a new technology that a lot of people don't have a firm grasp on, but it's at least worth following along with to see what's cooking when it goes live. Until then, you can find out more about what's going on at robotcache.com.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Bros, stop being so easily triggered and focus on some real, juicy drama: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/01/16/robot-cache-blockchain-digital-games-store/

Fargo just founded an online game store based on block-chain and cryptocurrency, that allows you to resell games.

:hmmm:

New digital store Robot Cache will use blockchain to let users resell games

robot-cache.jpg

Being able to sell used copies of digital games is an idea that gets kicked around every so often, and now it’s back with a web 3.0 digital cyberpyramid blockchain cryptocurrency twist. New digital store Robot Cache will let people resell games and receive 25% of the cash back – in cryptocurrency. Yes, of course it’s built on cryptocurrency, because everything is now. “Quick, get in on Muttoncoin while you can!” they tell me. “Clarksoncoin is going nuclear,” I’m warned. It does sound like Robot Cache are running screaming after the latest Silicon Valley fad but: 1) used digital game sales is still an interesting idea; 2) the company is co-founded by Brian Fargo, the founder of Torment: Tides of Nuemenera devs inXile Entertainment.

So! Let’s skip over the technical guts for now. Robot Cache is due to launch later this year, some time from April to June, and sell games in that digital games store way. People will be able to sell games they own, though they’ll only receive 25% of the sale back–and only in the store’s own cryptocurrency, not real money–as the rest will go to the developers and the store. They’ll then be able to spend this cybercash on other games from the store.

Robot Cache don’t name a lineup of devs whose games they will sell and that does seem a fairly vital part of whether this store is interesting or not. If no games you want are on it, who cares what you can get back for a game? Robot Cache are trying to woo devs with solid-sounding terms, letting them set their own sale and resale prices then receiving 95% of proceeds from new game sales, which is far more than most stores, and 70% on used sales.

The idea of using a blockchain to track copies of games changing hands (presumably tied to some form of DRM from the store) is an interesting one.

Let’s get very slightly technical: a blockchain is sort of a publicly-shared digital ledger which tracks ownership as cyberthings change hands. You might have heard of the tech as the foundation of digital currencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dogecoin, Ethereum Classic, Burstcoin, BlackCoin, Vertcoin, Zcash, Electroneum, Titcoin, PotCoin ZetaCoin, Coinye West, Catcoin, Feathercoin, Primecoin, Gridcoin, Emercoin, Peercoin, and Swiftcoin. This cybercash is earned essentially by spending money on your electricity bill, ‘mined’ by running intense calculations on a computer. We can now add Robot Cache’s own Iron to the ever-growing list of cryptocurrencies.

If you resell a game on Robot Cache, you’ll be paid in Iron, which can be spent on more games on Robot Cache. Or you can mine for more Iron through the client, slowly buying it with electricity.

Actually, if you want to know more about cryptocurrencies, The Guardian have a primerand they’re hardly the most intimidating technoheads.

I am pulling dismissive faces and making “Pssh!” noises because whacking cybercash on an existing idea is a hot and wholly ludicrous trend these days. Everything is Bitcoins and blockchains, even though half the people urging people to invest can’t explain what any of it is or what you can even spend it on. Bitcoin has become mired in damn nonsense and hype which mostly serves to make investors wealthier. The fad is daft enough that a drinks company saw its share prices quadruple after announcing plans to rename itself from Long Island Iced Tea Corp to Long Blockchain Corp.

Blockchain and cryptocurrency tech can be genuinely useful but it’s such early days and there’s so much nonsense that I’m wary of any company shouting “We have a cryptocurrency too!” It seems especially irresponsible considering that the Bitcoin network alone reportedly uses as much electricity as all Denmark. But I’m happy for Robot Cache to prove me wrong.

Either way, Robot Cache is still worth pointing out. The idea of digital used game sales drifts around but rarely seems to get anywhere, so here’s your update on the latest crack at it. Digital store Green Man Gaming hardheartedly tried trade-ins a few years back, before switching mostly to selling Steam keys, but Robot Cache are certainly going for it.
Can i resell my pirated Numanuma copy?

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This is going to crash and burn. Reselling digital games is an interesting kernel of an idea, but the implementation is retarded. 25% back in cash would be a rough sell, but doing it in useless crypto is ridiculous and scammy. The boat has sailed for transparently scammy cryptos already, too many technically inclined people (the same audience that are going to buy PC games from a niche online store) have an idea of what crypto is and how it should work to let this get traction.

Cross

Arcane
Another day, another low Fargo stoops to.

It does sound like Robot Cache are running screaming after the latest Silicon Valley fad but: 1) used digital game sales is still an interesting idea; 2) the company is co-founded by Brian Fargo, the founder of Torment: Tides of Nuemenera devs inXile Entertainment.
This sentence structure is extremely illogical. Why would 'he produced T:ToN' reassure people who think this is a sketchy, when logically, it should only make them even more suspicious?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From press release, Chris Keenan is on the advisory board:

Founded by video game legend Brian Fargo, Robot Cache is led by video game luminaries such as Lee Jacobson (CEO), Mark Caldwell (CTO) and Philippe Erwin (VP of Business Development). Robot Cache's advisory board includes a mix of video game and blockchain experts: Anna Sweet, Nolan Bushnell, Michael Maloney, Chris Keenan, Gordon Einstein, Scott Walker and Keven Baxter.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So how much will the Cuckdex raise for their leader, Fargo, this time? Will the New Doritos Pope, Vault Dweller, be the first customer to give them a good review, most likely.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Repeat after me: game resellers are more harmful to game makers than piracy.
Which is just another pr bullshit :) .
How is it PR bullshit when it's literally distributors making extra money from your game that you get no cut from? Are you retarded?
Are you fucking retarded? You have bought the fucking thing once and i believe that if you own something then you can do what ever you like with it. I take it that you are talking about shady sites where they do some "game wasting" of stolen keys and jornous sell theirs. Which i still don't give flying fuck about.Life is tough,if bunch of people can make some grey money fleecing liberals and naive people on the net.... well good job. They have found their golden goose. Only people that care about this shit are greedy youtubers that could make a thousand buck by talking about this shit,like the irrelevantBrit and some naive people that watch them,all such people are spec of dust in the world and have the same effect on it.

PS: Piracy have only positive effect,they are people that won't buy the games anyway and have some chance to buy it if they really liked it.

Latelistener

Arcane
Here's the fascinating catch: that 25% you get for selling your "used" digital title is rewarded in the form of IRON, a brand new CryptoCurrency coin (with a soft cap of $15,000,000) created by the Robot Cache team. Think of it as a form of in-game currency which can be used to buy new games, but also can be cashed out, likely through a Crypto exchange like Coinbase or similar, then deposited into your bank account or PayPal.
:what:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom