Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RockpaperShotgun FF order is retarded.

Best Final Fantasy.

• Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Anything else except FFVIII

Votes: 64 73.6%

• Total voters

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Who cares?
thinking.png

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Man, at this point it seems that they're making a living from the reader's butthurt. They don't even pretend they have any credibility anymore :lol: (In their description for FF VI they even flat out admit they haven't played it)

I should put their article here just to make sure they get the clicks they deserve for being such a clown.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/02/best-final-fantasy-games-pc/3/nofuckyourps

But honestly, I don't even have any hatred for them, let them be, they barely matter to the industry anyway.

Deleted member 7219

My problem with RPS isn't so much the opinions the staff have, but how poorly written and thought out the articles are. This one is no exception.

Take their 'review' of Final Fantasy VI, for example:

So why is VI (or III, if you’re in US, because they never released II and V in your neck of the woods and made the numbers all confusing as a result) considered so good? Well, based purely on the game’s Steam trailer, you get to ride a giant mech that plods slowly through some snow. Revolutionary at the time, and probably the closest you could get to a Gundam-themed JRPG. There’s also a train, which is exciting, some chocobos that you jump onto from a bridge (very exciting) and some creepy ass clown dude with a sinister laugh. Because all good villains need a sinister laugh.

What the fuck even is this writing? It reminds me of how I wrote when I was 7 years old. "I like dogs because they have soft fur and when they pant it looks like they are smiling."

And this:

Sadly, the PC version is based on the horrible mobile port, featuring ickily prettified sprites and nasty fonts that really spoil what’s otherwise considered a very good game indeed.

Brendan: It’s horrible-looking. It’s a shame so many of Squeenix’ back catalogue are bad ports, including the very recent Chrono Trigger – a JRPG that would normally have this entire list looking at it with jealousy, but which in this timeline is uglier than a pug’s bottom.

Katharine: Personally, I’m waiting for a 3D remake (like the ones they did for Final Fantasy III and IV) so I can play it properly, but if you’re looking to play it right this second, you’re probably better off finding a cheeky emulator.

Brendan: Our lawyers have just passed me a small note written entirely in colouring pencils. It says we should encourage some legitimate ways of finding the game first, so I’m obliged to remind you, reader, that Final Fantasy VI does come included in the Mini SNES. And you bought twelve of those, remember?

Best moments: That cool bit with the mechs and the things and the other things, and probably the bit where you unintentionally take part in a whopping great opera scene.

Notes: Final Fantasy VI has been ported to TWELVE different platforms since it was first released in 1994 and we STILL don’t have a proper PC version. Outrageous.

A PC-specific site doing a "Top" list, where they feature a game which has a really horrible PC version. They end up spinning in circles until they at last say "Don't play the PC version". This is a PC site, if it doesn't have a PC version you can recommend, don't mention it in your top list.

Leaving this here without any comment:

Call me crazy, but seeing Yuna swap her staff for a pair of guns and kick some ass with her new goth friend and equally bad-ass new haircut was exactly what 15-year-old Katharine wanted from games back then, and even now I’m quite partial to belting out a bit of its Real Emotion opening song at full volume when nobody’s looking.

All right, so Final Fantasy meets pop idol was never something we asked for or expected at the time, but after the heavy themes and general seriousness of X, what with you proving the entire [REDACTED] was a fraud and your [REDACTED] was a [REDACTED] and that your whole [REDACTED] was [REDACTED], a light-hearted venture into the realms of dress-up, power ballads and lost loves was arguably just what the series needed before it went back to being all serious again in its attempt to rip off Star Wars (more on this later).

Jacob

Patron
Yeah, they simply wrote some random shit that's not even argument to explain their opinion, and publish it as an article. Something I noticed has happened to 10s game journalist, particularly of the hipster kind. At first it seems that they're doing it ironically like all hipster like to do, but at this point I think that's all they're capable to write.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'd say Final Fantasy IX is my favorite title when taken as a whole: cast, story, locations, sidequests and mini-games. I have a nostalgia for it that I can only liken to that you feel for old animated films like The Lion King or Toy Story.

Second is VI, great characters for the most part, but it also had some pretty shit ones too (Mog, Gogo, and Umaro; Setzer is the shittiest "developed" character of the cast). Third is VII, which wasn't helped by an absolute shit translation that butchered the plot; I also felt Cait Sith was a good concept that wasn't executed well. Final Fantasy XII had great gameplay, but a very ambitious story that simply didn't work, and Vaan and Penelo were shit; sidequests and end-game content was great though. X was simply cringe when it came to cast and story, though the battle system was nice; end-game content was simply the Monster Arena. I haven't played the others.

Last edited:

PorkBarrellGuy

(Mog, Gogo, and Umaro; Setzer is the shittiest "developed" character of the cast).

The character who can basically fucking one-shot the final boss is also the shittiest. Probably not a coincidence, come to think of it

Ash

Arcane
7 > 9 > 6 > Tactics > 10 > 8 > 5 > 12 > 10-2 >>> fuck all the rest they're bland as hell, including 0-4 (well, I didn't play 3 and some of the modern ones but it doesn't take a genius to see the likes of 15 is pure garbage).

and yes, RPS are extremely lazy game journos, and seemingly even intentionally provocative to farm clicks in recent years.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Chrono Trigger>6>9>12>5>7>8 surely. Probably throw 14 in as well that is a superb MMO

8 isn't the worst to its credit, it has that going for it at least.

Calling 8 the best PC port isn't remotely correct either. 12 has a great port.

Last edited:

Jacob

Patron
7 > 9 > 6 > Tactics > 10 > 8 > 5 > 12 > 10-2 >>> fuck all the rest they're bland as hell, including 0-4 (well, I didn't play 3 and some of the modern ones but it doesn't take a genius to see the likes of 15 is pure garbage).

and yes, RPS are extremely lazy game journos, and seemingly even intentionally provocative to farm clicks in recent years.
Why 7 as number 1? Rare to see someone praising 7 as the best in the series if not for nostalgia reasons.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Why 7 as number 1? Rare to see someone praising 7 as the best in the series if not for nostalgia reasons.
I find that the internet has somehow managed to turn FF6 into this solely because I've seen more posts that straight up go "FF7 was bad / overrated / literally just a carbon copy of 6 with PSX graphics" while going on and on about the virtues of FF6 and how much better and more mature it was. Seeing someone actually straight up like FF7 the most, in Anno 2018, is like a breath of fresh air.

Ash

Arcane

Gameplay, locations, soundtrack. Hating on 7 became a dumb meme because of how ridiculously popular the game is, while 6 is more niche (and incredible, but 7 is great too).
It has the best gameplay out of the blobbery turn-based games, especially if you use the FF7 Hardtype mod. disclaimer: my ranking is influenced by said mod, though it only touches difficulty and balancing and is faithful. FF7 has the incredible materia system (the mod's increased difficulty makes strategy and diff. materia combinations more meaningful, and nerfs some shit. Combat is much better as a result), fun mini-games and puzzles, take for example the coupon puzzle in the Shinra building, the Icicles in Gaea caves and then the timing challenge in the north crater immediately after with the wind, stuff like that, devs constantly throwing fun at you with arguably better execution than others in the series. And how did I forget shortly before the Gaea caves you're doing a fucking snowboarding mini game because why not! ...tbh that part ain't that great because it is rather disconnected from the rest of the gameplay/world. Usually puzzles and mini games reward combat items at least, this doesn't.

...further still, in the one area between the snowboarding and Gaea caves there is something like 5 more fucking puzzles or mini games I was forgetting: The traditional leap frog puzzle. The initial mountain climb where you have to keep your body temperature up (not a great mini game). The snow field where the camera rotation fucks about with your orientation. And finally the navigation of the whole Great Glacier area being a timing and orienteering puzzle in itself, where have to figure out the map and you pass out if you hang around for too long. All the while you're messing around with materia builds, fighting challenging enemies (with the mod), nabbing those enemy skills etc.

As an another example, note the layout of an area in the North caves:
latest

They weren't afraid of shit not making any realistic sense at all for the sake of gamey fun. This is the case for all the classic FFs, but it is peak here.
Or! how about the temple of the ancients? The huge maze, then the random boulders, then the best part, the keeper of time:
398492-final-fantasy-vii-playstation-screenshot-ancient-temple-clock.png

Exploration is p. decent in the game too. It's a somewhat linear game like the rest but there's just enough exploration to satisfy.

There's plenty decent gameplay design in all the classic FF games starting with 5 and ending with 12, but in 7 + Hardtype mod holy shit is it fun as hell. I'd say 9/10 gameplay while before it was like 7.5/10 maybe 8, which would be the highest rank I'd give to any game in the series, and any turn-based JRPG I've played.
That's enough gameplay talk (though this is the type of stuff fans of overhyped garbage like Chrono Trigger and FF4 just cannot really grasp. Such boring-ass gameplay).
The art style while the characters look like absolute ass and create inconsistency, backgrounds are just incredible. And said janky models have tons of charming animations. The variety of locales is so cool too, from cyberpunk dystopia to chilling on a spanish-inspired beach resort?
The soundtrack is of course great, but that is the case for most, naturally.
Story is batshit insane but it has plenty charm nonetheless, aside from Cloud's story in Kalm and his "finding [of] himself" in the lifestream. God I hate those bits. But yeah, that whole subplot with Don Corneo wanting to fuck every woman he sees culminating in you teaming up with the Turks in Wutai and whatnot, just hilarious. Plenty of great moments even if the story as a whole is campy and inconsistent.
6 used to be my favourite with 7 coming in probably second, but I went back to them all recently after nearly a decade and 7 was a shitton of fun. The FF7 Hardtype mod I mentioned had a big hand in that though as with it the gameplay shines twice as bright. Highly recommended!

I played a shitload of games last year and FF7 + mod was definitely one of the most memorable. The Square Enix remake is going to butcher the hell out of a classic. Those cunts destroy everything they touch.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Refined my above post explaining why 7 is boss!
There's lots of nice little touches that add personality, charm or gameplay depth to the game too. Take the disabling of the Huge Materia in the Rocket Town rocket, if you cheat and look up the code first try Cid's like "what? There's no way you could have known that!". There is very minor dialogue choices, reactivity and C&C. No way near Fallout level of course, but it's fun and interesting nonetheless. I remember none of this in 6.

I'm also being an uncomfortable-in-my-own-skin-fag by not coming out with this: game has loads of touching emotional moments (Nanaki becoming a man/warrior dog thing!).

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Do you guys think Sephiroth is the best villain ever ? Or is it Kafka ?
Emperor of Palamecia was the best villain in any FF game. That fucker was the ruler of the Earth, the ruler of the Hell and was about to become the ruler of the Heaven before you defeat him. Sadly he is from FF2 and that games sucks, so people hardly remembers him.

Ash

Arcane
CptMace You're probably memeing, but Kefka is the better villain of the two (and neither is the best ever). Even though he's so one-dimensional, it's executed well (for what a fricken pixel art SNES game could manage). Lots of shock factor, lots of weirdness, lots of pure evil. Sephiroth isn't all that bad a protagonist and is rather one-dimensional himself, but it's just all less interesting on the whole. Bad ass sword and introductory music though! FF6's story is better than FF7's overall really, but 7 has better gameplay which always makes a winner, for me.

Emperor of Palamecia was the best villain in any FF game. That fucker was the ruler of the Earth, the ruler of the Hell and was about to become the ruler of the Heaven before you defeat him. Sadly he is from FF2 and that games sucks, so people hardly remembers him.

I was thinking "who the fuck is he on about?". I've completed that game...beating the crap out of myself to increase my HP and otherwise being pretty bored. dumbass game. Still better gameplay than FF4 and CT though!

Last edited:

Jacob

Patron
Ash Have you played FF VI modded? I haven't myself but there's that Brave New World thing that's said to change the game greatly or something. On FF VII, I agree the materia system is fun to play with, although it doesn't reach its maximum potential in vanilla FFVII since the game is so easy. As for the north caves and stuff, I acknowledge that it's a pretty complex dungeon but I just don't understand dungeon crawling on a JRPG with Prerendered 3D graphics so yeah, my loss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom