Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you a fan of Rockstar games?

• Total voters

Abhay

Augur
Its surprising to find no thread for discussion on one of the most popular developers of series like GTA, and RDR.

I'm sure many people from the codex grew up playing games from Rockstar, and are probably still compelled to play their games.

So, I'd like the opinions from the codex on what they think about Rockstar and what they like, dislike or hate about them as developers?
Feel free to speak everything about Rockstar games by sharing your experiences - perhaps most importantly -
how they fair to other competitors, and your favorite developers in this industry, when it comes to games design, innovation, writing, storytelling and contribution to open world genre over the years.
It would be interesting to know various opinions from the codex not known to mince words, but completely frank and direct in their thoughts.

sullynathan

Arcane
Eh we actually have a GTA V, Max Payne 3 and RDR 2 thread, and we've discussed plenty about them.

Their best games are gta v, RDR and San Andreas.

Max Payne 3 is mechanically the best 3rd person shooter made, held back by unskippable cutscenes which is unfortunate but becomes a non-issue if you like it.

R* is bar none the best AAA open world developer though, none come close to them. The others just emulate them.

I will agree with other codexers that their games have become really easy not like their previous games were hard but with the advent of auto saving and checkpoints and their move for making more simulation-like games instead of arcady ones can be really boring evident by GTA 4 which is their worst game.

Bully is quite fun and I'm probably gonna play it this year.

Abhay

Augur
Sure we have threads but they are mainly centered on individual games, and not necessarily on the developers, nor discussions on the company that has produced many games over the years, which is what this thread does!

Coming to the topic-

I'm also a fan of GTA San Andreas,and the only game ( besides GTA 2 ) that has managed to appeal me more than anything else they have released so far! The mods drastically change the experience of playing SA as well. Similar to GTA V on PC which also enjoys a very good modding community!

But what I never understood is the kind of craze many people have for their storytelling, especially RDR and GTA IV, both are nowhere oscar worthy nor great in terms of writing compared to what Dan Vavra and few other developers have offered in their games.
Their games are fun but the amount of praise they get for the story and writing is something I feel most of it completely undeserved.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I was never a fun of semi realistic games from Rockstar, with only exception of RDR, there is something off that put me away.
My favourite is GTA3 and remain to this day despite worst combat ever (hard to fight with firearms when odds are against you, especially enemy numbers). Liked VC bit less and did not liked SA that much but finished it and survived that flying mission on kb+m.
I think I can deal with input lags but not being able to control due physic or other things is not my cup of tea. There is something pushing me off in writing or world design (npcs and else) while GTA3 had some humor in it, even if it was dark one...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah. Wait, it's on Steam right?
"Product does not support Windows Vista and above" fuck
And I swear there was sequel in some keyshop, like GMG or whatever

Mustawd

I'm sure many people from the codex grew up playing games from Rockstar, and are probably still compelled to play their games.

I played GTA 1-3 up to San Andreas. Never play the Las Vegas one or the later games.

I wasn't aware RDR was from them. Hopefully, that'll get ported to PC. I have a PS3 that's gathering dust and some old emulators I never use. That's the extent of my console participation.

But the GTA games were p. fun for sure.

Mustawd

I played GTA 1-3 up to San Andreas. Never play the Las Vegas one or the later games.
hmmmm, san andreas was the las vegas one.

What do you mean? San Andreas was the Los Angeles one. Las Vegas was different.

header.jpg

Vice-city-cover.jpg

Actually, was Vice City even Las Vegas? Or was it more of a Miami Beach thing? Anyhow, I never played that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

A user named cat

Bully was pretty damn good too, very overlooked. The PC port was initially botched to shit but after being patched, it runs just fine. The Warriors was also good and faithful to the movie. RS are definitely head and shoulders above all other big budget devs though the GTA formula is getting pretty tired. They need to branch out more and try something different.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah. Wait, it's on Steam right?
"Product does not support Windows Vista and above" fuck
And I swear there was sequel in some keyshop, like GMG or whatever

http://www.gzwn.net/manhuntpatcher/

Here you can find the patcher for the retail and Steam versions. Just remember to use cracked exe to have no crashes during some segments. I'm currently playing it and as a bonus I'll mention that game now supports higher resolutions.

Divinity: Original Sin

hmmmm, san andreas was the las vegas one.

What do you mean? San Andreas was the Los Angeles one. Las Vegas was different.

San Andreas was 3 cities: Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas (Los Angeles, San Francisco and Las Vegas).

Vice City was Miami.

Mustawd

Gotcha. I never finished San Andreas, so that makes sense. I was thinking of Vice City, yes.

Ivan

Arcane
GTA was my first 3D open world game. I felt that the series really met its potential with San Andreas and had a blast playing through it. Thankfully I was young enough to spend days upon days playing it. I fondly remember riding on choppers, only to somehow total it and have to walk to a nearby town.

RDR I played as an adult and found it disappointing. The combat is great, as it uses the same Euphoria physics system found in GTA 4, but it's narrative was terribad (the mexico, and final acts all sucked) and the traversal just wasn't fun after the first hour. I would have liked for much stricter survival mechanics, resource management, but all that comes from being spoiled by PC classics.

TripJack

Hedonist
not a fan, GTA had novelty value 10+ years ago but that's worn off now that everyone is doing the open world schtick

best thing they ever did was publish max payne 1&2

Ash

Arcane
Generally a decent developer, nothing special as racofer stated, but good enough to produce something interesting and worthwhile. However their recent games (GTAIV and V especially) have declined in quality in my opinion and for that reason I will approach their new projects with extra caution.

GelGel

Educated
I really wanted to like GTA like normal kids do, but in the same period I discovered Legacy of Kain series.

I don't think I spent more then 30 minutes watching (not playing) of any Rockstar game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
They are overrated IHMO.

Sure San Andreas (and V) and Manhunt are good. Aside from that Max Payne 3 has some pretty good gameplay but it's very linear, and Red Dead Redemption is linear, repetitive and sometimes boring (altought it does shine some times). Also the GTA games in general are very samey.

Altough they did publish Max Payne 1/2.

Of course they aren't as bad as Bethshit, EA and Ubi. But they aren't exactly much superior.

Also the way they been treating their pc player base lately is sad.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Way overrated, but normies love them for some reason. RDR really showed how much of a shovelware dev team they really were when it was just the laziest reskin of a game you've ever seen, right down to the bullshit racing missions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom