Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Role-Player is kinda dead!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Good luck! I hope you'll get the literature degree - I always liked your writing.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
How old is roleplayer?

Also stop depressing me with the memories of these fallen soldiers. I guess i'm going to be like the dog from sandlot.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
What an emo fest, it's no wonder you're all so miserable when you take "games" so seriously. If you meticulously study a titles design docs (wtf) throughout years of development then you're just setting yourself up for dissapointment...everytime.

DemonKing

Arcane
Too bad...I respected Role-Player as he always made his points well and never resorted to abuse or pettiness...adios amigo.

I'm glad he made that last post as it summed up the game industry pretty well at this point in time...the attention of designers is focused far too much on things that should support the gameplay (graphics, physics, sound etc) rather than on the gameplay itself.

Personally, I hope I never burn out on computer games (over 25 years since my first Apple II and still going strong!) but my interest is as much historical these days as in playing the games themselves.

Hopefully RPer will find his way back when he's ready.

AZ

Liturgist
It is easy to burn out, there wasn't notable evolution in computer games since late nineties except in multiplayer shooters.
I agree whit Role Player.

Jason

chasing a bee
Don't cry for me Diogo Ribeiro
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
hahah, I wonder what would happen 5 years from now, I think Codex generation is moving on and letting the younger ones take over.

I'm not sure how I stumbled on this site either.

Severian Silk

The Codex just lost 2 points of Intelligence. By the way, is the Codex score an aggregate, or is only the highest score counted?

Hazelnut

Erudite
Farewell R-P, I hope that a hiatus from gaming will see you come back at some undefined point in the future...

Alex

Arcane
Good bye Roleplayer. You don't know me, but I really your articles (the few I read that is). I understand your pessimistic view of gaming, an I actually share much of it. I believe gaming could have improved much these last 10 years if its only focus weren't graphics and reaching out for a larger audience.

However, I think it is really up to those who believe in a greater potential for gaming to go out and do something about it. Complaining is cheap, anyone can do it. And although I believe this site does a good job of showing and reasoning how modern rpgs lost something that was present in some older ones, all this work would be a waste if at least a few people who read it didn't put it to good use.

Waiting for big companies to change their ways is moot point. As long as they can draw in new fans who have no idea of what has already been done, they will be able to continue reselling old ideas with minor innovations. And even once they no longer are able to draw in new blood, people will keep on buying the same old crap if they can't see any alternative.

So, I want to wish you good luck in your endeavors, whatever they may be. However, I hope you eventually come back to gaming as a designer. I think someone with your ideas could design some very good games, and if you do get a literature degree, it too could bring in something good to the gaming table.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The reason I'm asking is because I'd hate to dumbfuck someone without giving him/her a chance to clarify the comments.

Calis

Pensionado
With Jasede on this one. General atmosphere of huggery needed compensation, the moose and the furry are the right team to take care of it.

Micmu

Magister
He was just making a joke at the wrong time, it seems.
VD has been quite edgy lately, let's hope this doesn't mean another resignation any time soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom