Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Role-Player is kinda dead!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Calis said:
With Jasede on this one. General atmosphere of huggery needed compensation, the moose and the furry are the right team to take care of it.
Sure, but Role-Player deserves better than being told to "gtfo and never come back", even if it's a joke. I'm kinda tired of dumb "haha fuck you lol" jokes.

micmu said:
... let's hope this doesn't mean another resignation any time soon.
Since there is nobody else to mind the store at the moment, my sense of duties won't allow me to leave you assholes without proper supervision.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Vault Dweller said:
Sure, but Role-Player deserves better than being told to "gtfo and never come back", even if it's a joke. I'm kinda tired of dumb "haha fuck you lol" jokes.
Pull the cactus outta yer arse
:lol: ( <- smiley so that you know I'm really saying "lighten up, this is the codex :hug:" )

Calis

Pensionado
What Shagnak said. Unless you like that kind of thing.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Shagnak said:
Vault Dweller said:
:lol: ( <- smiley so that you know I'm really saying "lighten up, this is the codex :hug:" )
What *exactly* is the Codex, if you don't mind me asking?

dagorkan

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Shagnak said:
Vault Dweller said:
It's a forum on the internet which has pretty good content, above average reviews, a database of every RPG ever developed and where people can discuss RPGs. It also has a General Discussion area which is a beacon to retards, perverts and nazis who occasionally spill over and spoil the rest of the site.

Calis

Pensionado
Vault Dweller said:
There are two answers to that question.

Answer A)
The Codex is a website with a load of news & content with a forum community that evolves both naturally and through the actions of the admins, where admins who put more time & effort into the site get a larger say in moderation policies.

Obviously, answer A) means you get to decide dumbfuck criteria, since you put in by far the largest amount of time.

Now for answer B), a more subjective answer zooming in on the question at hand. I'd say the Codex is:

"a place where you probably shouldn't dumbfuck someone just for being a meanie to someone else, no matter how much the recipient of the meanness has done for the site". Not saying I want to join the "VD is a nazi" crowd, just sayin'.

Edit:
Answer C) (Shagnak's words in Calis-language)
The Codex is a place where occasionally, someone cracks wise in a mean way. Personal appreciation of an admin towards the recipient of said wisecrack should not factor into repercussions.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Calis said:
Vault Dweller said:
There are two answers to that question.

Answer A)
The Codex is a website with a load of news & content with a forum community that evolves both naturally and through the actions of the admins, where admins who put more time & effort into the site get a larger say in moderation policies.

Obviously, answer A) means you get to decide dumbfuck criteria, since you put in by far the largest amount of time.
That's not what I was getting it. I would never claim that because I post more news, I should be able to dumbfuck whoever I want. In fact, your (and Shagnak the Old Softie's) disagreement is enough for me to let Spacemoose off the hook.

"a place where you probably shouldn't dumbfuck someone just for being a meanie to someone else, no matter how much the recipient of the meanness has done for the site".
It's not about being mean. You can be as mean as you like as long as you're making a point. Being mean just because you can is kinda stupid, no?

Just like any other good ol' days "feature", it's being misunderstood and misused. We let it go, what next? Idiotic "lol fuck you" posts where arguments - no matter how mean and angry - used to be? Tell me, Calis, do you think that the site is more evolved and intelligent than, say, 3-4 years ago? If the answer is no, what do you think we should do about it? Again, just curious.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Good lord. He wasn't spamming the forum with Nazi shite or being especially distasteful. Hardly the slippery slope to site devolvement.

I thought the comment was humorous when juxtaposed against the unbridled man-love we were all giving to RP.

spacemoose

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:

well I was just telling roleplayer to ROLL ON OUTTA HERE. ROLLING ROLLING ROLLING RAWHIDE!!

also, I am heartened to see this place still retains some of its spirit. the patriots will not be forgotten (but you all know I'd wear the dumfuck with pride anyhow)

Calis

Pensionado
Vault Dweller said:
It's not about being mean. You can be as mean as you like as long as you're making a point. Being mean just because you can is kinda stupid, no?

Just like any other good ol' days "feature", it's being misunderstood and misused. We let it go, what next? Idiotic "lol fuck you" posts where arguments - no matter how mean and angry - used to be?
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for an atmosphere where you are allowed to provide a "fuck you" in addition to a strong and coherent argument. I just think that a thread like this is inherently devoid of any kind of basis for any such argument. It started with "I miss Role Player! He was such a great guy!" and then kinda went from there. I'd argue that my first post in this thread is no less dumb than Spacemoose's. It was an unbacked single-word spampost. Now I am prepared to recognize that some spamposts are worse than others, and am not advocating that we allow this forum to devolve to one of those blah-chan image boards where it's all about the mindless 2-word reactions to teh funny pictores, I'm just saying that you need an actual discussion to demand a coherent argument.
Vault Dweller said:
Tell me, Calis, do you think that the site is more evolved and intelligent than, say, 3-4 years ago?
No, but then again, my perception has changed over the last 3-4 years. Besides the fact that I (hope I) am smarter now than when I was in my early 20's, reading this forum has developed my ability to recognize a coherent argument about video game design (and, hopefully, produce one myself). It's an issue which is hard to quantify without wading through pages and pages of ancient threads, but I'll go out on a limb and say that there were unbacked single-line derisions back then as well.
Vault Dweller said:
If the answer is no, what do you think we should do about it? Again, just curious.
Beats me.

Edit: I once again salute Shagnak for summarizing a similar line of thought more concisely than I did, and would like to point out the fact that we both used "devolve" in our post (though that may have been triggered by the fact that you said "evolved" in yours)

Taoreich

Liturgist
If I recall correctly, this isn't the first time Role Player has retired due to personal decline and heartbreak. I seem to remember an absence of some time before he rose to acclaim at the Codex on a more official level than before.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Shagnak said:
Good lord. He wasn't spamming the forum with Nazi shite or being especially distasteful. Hardly the slippery slope to site devolvement.
So, you honestly blame "devolvement" exclusively on poor TNP?

I thought the comment was humorous when juxtaposed against the unbridled man-love we were all giving to RP.
Yeah. Funny shit.

Calis said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for an atmosphere where you are allowed to provide a "fuck you" in addition to a strong and coherent argument. I just think that a thread like this is inherently devoid of any kind of basis for any such argument.
And thus it's devoid of any kind of basis for "fuck you" comments.

I'm just saying that you need an actual discussion to demand a coherent argument.
I wasn't demanding a coherent argument. I dislike seeing idiotic comments where they don't belong. A stupid thread like "which codexer you like the most lol" is a perfect place for stupidity. There is no need to infect other forums with it.

No, but then again, my perception has changed over the last 3-4 years. Besides the fact that I (hope I) am smarter now than when I was in my early 20's, reading this forum has developed my ability to recognize a coherent argument about video game design (and, hopefully, produce one myself). It's an issue which is hard to quantify without wading through pages and pages of ancient threads, but I'll go out on a limb and say that there were unbacked single-line derisions back then as well.
"No" was a sufficient reply :p. And yes, I'm not saying that every thread of the golden age was a philosophical discussion, but IF you agree with me that the site devolved, and IF you aren't overly crazy about it and don't want to see another DAC, don't you think that something needs to be done? I'm not sure whether or not my heavy-handed approach is the right answer, but I'm pretty damn sure that not doing anything will only make matters worse.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I wouldn't mind you giving Spacemoose the DF, but don't ban him.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Banning was never an option here. It was supposed to be a polite reminder to SM to play nicely with other kids and mind his manners, but since Shagnak and Calis feel so strongly about human rights, I shall assume that I was wrong and they are right.

Please forgive me, Spacemoose. I was blinded by the power and didn't know what I was doing. Thank God that you are alright.

spacemoose

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I blame it on carebears

Calis said:
And thus it's devoid of any kind of basis for "fuck you" comments.
since when do you need a basis for anything. when you're freeflying with the DOORS YOU DON'T NEED NO SAFETYNET

spacemoose

Erudite
dagorkan said:
I wouldn't mind you giving Spacemoose the DF, but don't ban him.
see it always seemed strange to me why some people here consciously try to avoid being dumbfucked, or view it as an undesirable thing to have. in these dark times the dumbfuck is a badge of honor, not some kind yellow six-pointed star

Vault Dweller said:
Please forgive me, Spacemoose. I was blinded by the power and didn't know what I was doing. Thank God that you are alright.
I know, the power can certainly be blinding. maddening even. one could even look at this thread and say "vault dweller s zhiru besitsa". perhaps what is needed is a council of trusted advisers, to relieve the ganja madness or what have you

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It was supposed to be a polite reminder to SM to play nicely with other kids and mind his manners"

WTF? Is this the Codex or Happy Happy Lollipop Land?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"See my original what is the Codex question."

I've answered in the past,a nd I'll answer it is.

It's real simple.

RPG Codex is a place to discuss RPGs with no filter or restrictions. Making fun of others who disagree with you is part of the allure of the Codex.

Restrictions like you propose is for 'official' sites like BIO, Obsidian, and Betehsda who are worried about 'public image'. Geeza.

And, making fun of threads like this one is a PASTTIME of LEGEND for the Codex with all the sappiness of some internet poster quiting the site/the internet/the gaming world. No offense to RP as he's cool; but geez, he's quitting. Big fuckin' deal, VD.

The Codex and the internet will move on. And, when 9and if) RP decides to jump back; we'll all be there to have fun with him.

So Spacemoose made a little funny at RP's expense. Boo hoo hoo. I'm sure RP will survive.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Vault Dweller said:
Shagnak said:
Aside from the fact that I have never said that he was "exclusively" to blame for any sort of site "devolvement"...

FFS, it's a matter of extremity. We agreed that people spamming Nazi shite would eventually harm our good standing amongst the peace loving hippy community.
Spacemoose's singular comment is hardly on the same level.

I would even argue that it is not out of character with Codex posting protocol that has been adhered to for ages, millenia, aeons perhaps, by Codex sages long past. I can even imagine certain staff members jumping in with something similar to shatter the (over?) sentimentality of the occasion.*

This whole thing should have been a fucking non-issue.

*Volly bet me to it, kinda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom