Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII decides to LAH LAH to PC

Tigranes

Arcane
11 is probably the best start at this point. After you take a look, 4&5 provide an old school version of that experience with a bit less micromanagement and a bit less complexity. Folk are actually very split on which RPG-y version is the best, between 7, 8 and 10. You can probably start with any one, they are quite similar and it comes down to the quirks.

Always get the PK/PUK versions - 'power up kits' that are basically enhanced editions, but in many cases render the game post-beta.

cw8

Cipher
Pricing is ridiculous as usual. A norm since their old RTK releases. Now to see if this version is actually good.

cw8

Cipher
Number 1 seller on Steam with just the Jap, Chinese version so far? I love RTK but didn't know it was that big.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's not strictly the same series, but a new Nobunaga's Ambition game, Sphere of Influence, recently came out on Steam too. Anyone played it? Is it any good?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
marketing.jpg

Ordering XBONE now.

Verdict:

it's bad but at least it's not 12.

PROS:
-it's not 12
-many officers with nice portraits
-better skill system than previous games
-its not 12

CONS:
-troops are locked per city, like in nobunigga
-supply lines are instant-wanna transfer 50k food between 2 cities? alright brah, it's there in 0 seconds
-command bar in battles makes 90% of skills redundant, same shit with nobunagga only here it's worse
-bad city management, where you have only 7-8 development slots, 6 of which are those recommended by your advisors.
-what's the point of the map if you are bound by roads? also, no fort construction
-battle maps are kinda small which doesn't allow for more than 10 units per side, really retarded
-what's the use of high int strategists again? ah right, pr much nothing
-rock paper scissors duel system, but debate doesn't have cardshit at least
-hyperkike price of 83 bucks, brought to you by (((KOEI)))

If they don't fix this with the PUK like they did with 12 (as much as it could be fixed, which was a good job considering how shit the game was), I'm never buying an RTK game again.

I suspect they will and that they've already started developing it, much like they did with 12. Clear (((KOEI))) tactic: release barebones, add the gameplay later for an extra inflared price

LP of 13 coming soon

edit: oh yeah, and lots of "dead" troops also happen to be wounded, so for every 100k you kill, a little less than half you will see again

New patch coming out:

-Inclusion of Automatic Save. (Yearly / Seasonal / Monthly)*
-Change expansion rate of Ai (Fast / Normal / Slow)* - Current rate is likely 'Fast'
-Change rate of injured soldier recovery (Fast / Normal / Slow)* - Current rate is likely 'Fast'
-Show enemy movement path in battle (Show / Hide)*
-Option to decline promotion.
-Option to decline transfer of military control during battle (?)
-Player is no longer forced to join the battle during invasion.
-Show enemy movement path in world map (?) (Show / Hide)*
-Balance changes
-Ai Lord no longer gives almost all cities under your command when you promote to highest position
-Changed amount of gold or food you can request during diplomacy.
-Changed conditin of triggering alliance.
-NPC officer's resignment condition have been altered.
-Effect of relationship during certain actions changed.
-And other minor changes including UI.

No release date announced, but they are already moving on the right path.

English localization confirmed.

With or without PUK? Only time will tell.

One thing I can say is that the new patches and add-ons are making the game better and better. Might be worthwhile with PUK by 2017.

Tigranes

Arcane
Sounds absolutely terrible, about to be refurbished to "OK" with PUK. PUK can fix the stupidest balancing decisions etc but the core mechanics just aren't inspiring.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They just dropped the price of Steam version in most countries. USD price dropped from 89.99 to 59.99. They're preparing for the English release.

On the other hand, Japanese and Chinese prices stays the same. I guess the steep price was kind of soft region lock.

Jinn

Arcane
I really want this, but holy shit that price. Why?

Tripicus

Augur
I really want this, but holy shit that price. Why?

I paid $55 CAD with the 17% discount today, which is not unreasonable for a "new" game. You aren't still looking at that $90 price are you?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
http://nichegamer.com/reviews/romance-three-kingdoms-xiii-review/

I hope to see some opinion of gameplay here. Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence didn't like.

You won't like this game.
Steve: at first when ur lowly officer
Steve: 1. go to palace
Steve: 2. propose something to do
Steve: 3. if accepted. exit palace by right clicking
Steve: 4. click on place to do it
Steve: 5. adjust the options, like how to do it and which facility to do it (affect time, effect and chance of success)
Steve: 6. wait 10 days.
Steve: 7. report to palace, claim merit and occasional reward.
Steve: u do this over n over for city development
Steve: 6 fucking clicks minimum
Steve: the army grinding is also hilarious
Steve: to unlock tiers of troop quality, grind thru the appropriate troop type in the city
Steve: Light Bow > Regular Bow > Heavy Bow > Elite Bow
Steve: by grind means getting it from 0 to 1000
Steve: 1001-2000
Steve: 2001-3000
Steve: 3001-4000
Steve: SO FUN

Debates and Duels are basically 5 rounds of picking scissor, paper, stone. Although some people like Lu Bu is practically one-click beat down most encounters, making the whole loading of duel scene more meaningless.

Here are the debate options available: And yes, some debater auto-win based on high INT.
Trigger Butthurt
Quote spam
Update my txt.
Add to ignore list

Random encounters in forests tend to be either bandits, or some scam artist you can debate to make them pay you (LOL)
Battles are real time just like Nobunaga and the whole Rock Paper Scissors still apply: Spearmen < Archer < Cavalry < Spearmen
And character system is more grindy with perks granting bonuses when performing tasks (e.g Commerce, Training) having Lv 0 - 9 ranks to upgrade.
Their much vaunted Bond system is basically a system of building rapport by constantly asking them to work with you. And then you follow up with a Radiant Quest at 80 rapport. The random quest is dependent on their main interest, if you're talking to Lu Bu, he will say oh man I really want this bad ass sword of awesome +5. So off you go hunting it down....by checking every shop in every city and hopefully it appears. There's no quest compass, so it's AWESOME JUST LIKE OLD SCHOOL DAGGERFALL DUNGEON AMIRITE?

Also cool was Liu Bei asking me to find out about a LEGENDARY wine he wanted to try somewhere in the north, deep within Cao Cao's territory. 1.5 month later, we finished our road trips and become best friends after sharing a bottle of legendary grape juice. SO MUCH AMAZE.

All in all, I am very disappointed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom