Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Routine - Upcoming First Person Space Horror

potatojohn

Arcane
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/15/deserves-some-buzz-routine-is-amnesia-on-the-moon/

Routine is a first person horror exploration game set on an abandoned Moon base. Your job is to find enough data to uncover the truth behind the strange disappearance of everyone stationed on the Lunar Research Station.

A non linear experience lets you explore any part of the fully open Moon base and find out secrets that other players may not!
Be immersed with Full body awareness, Deadzone aiming, no HUD, no health bars or points system... you must run, hide and survive the best you can against what lurks in the base.
There are no health packs or multiple lives, in Routine there is a Perma death system that will keep you on the edge!
Looks like near sci-fi, my favourite.

Peter

Arcane
Trailer is too short for me to really form any sort of opinion, but it certainly sounds cool. We need more hard-ish, not totally ridiculous sci-fi in video games. Looking forward to more screens/vids/info.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, not much to go on, but it sounds kind of cool. Wonder if there will be Event Horizon vibes.

MapMan

Arcane
Trailer sets the right mood, looks good. Gotta wait to see a gameplay preview.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I'm somewhat worried about the mention of an upgradable weapon. Hopefully, it's a puzzle-solving machine like the gravity gun in HL2. Other than that::takemyjewgold:

Flanged

Scholar
This looks to be a thing that will be of interest in the future.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
THIS (in reading the description) Is what I wished Dead Space would have been. Instead of:

Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters Enter new corridor, get ambushed by monsters

That shit got old quick. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. :salute:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
This kind of complaining is very similar to the people that said "DooM is just about hunting keys in the levels"! Yeah, i know that games need to have variety,complexity,etc.. but if your implementation of variety is half-arsed like ME1-that make the public praise the sequel for axing features-then is better to just stick to what work. That been said, i think the combat in Dead Space is good for modern standarts.

keppj0nes

Educated
Has anyone been following this game? Seems pretty promising given their selling points here. I guess I haven't seen a game since Myst that drops you in an open world with objects around you, leaving you to figure out what to do, with no quest compass NPCs yelling and pointing at the next objective. Is anyone familiar with Steam Greenlight? Was that a good route for this game to take? I have no idea what that is.

• A non linear experience lets you explore any part of the fully open Moon base and find out secrets that other players may not!
  • Be immersed with Full body awareness, Deadzone aiming, no HUD, no health bars or points system... you must run, hide and survive the best you can against what lurks in the base.
  • There are no health packs or multiple lives, in Routine there is a Perma death system that will keep you on the edge!
http://www.lunar-software.com

potatojohn

Arcane
We've discussed this game before, about as much as you can discuss a game that's described only very vaguely and has one trailer and 5 screenshots to show for.

It looks like it has potential but we need more information.

Gozma

Arcane
I have now

Seems kinda "immersion based" rather than having tension based on basic gameplay, and it's on an indie budget... so I dunno

"Has potential" for now

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I like the idea of a permadeath system in a horror game, though I don't know how well it'd work in practice. I either see the length of the game falling short or its ability to surprise you being lacking, as focusing on either of the two inevitably hurts the other.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Permadeath.

Also, Four (4) people only are working on this. A testament to how small, dedicated, tireless and smart teams can out-compete bloated teams who only know routine (haha) and over-specialization (I model guns!), not creativity and challenge.

Yeah Ken Levine, take note.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
3:15 - floppy disks still in use in the future.
A non linear experience lets you explore any part of the fully open Moon base and find out secrets that other players may not!
I like the sound of that, linear horror games just suck. It looks very nice and atmosperic, impressive for a four-people team. I wonder about this permadeath thing, maybe combat will be rare and avoidable, with the game concentrating on exploration an puzzles. I can't really picture a combat-heavy game with permadeath, unless it's very short.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom