Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting

B0rt

Novice
idk why anyone would want to live in a world where you wouldn't play both Aod / Underrail, there were two GOTYs in one year and then some nerds somehow made that into a slappy fight??

probably too late now but if Starbound and The Quest can be on that list then I think Caves of Qud ought to be there too, maybe even ADOM -- so much improved deathjoy in both of those lately

also thanks for including some oddballs like Fallout 1.5 and Sunless Sea, definitely do appreciate the inclusive approach overall -- my fav. experience last year was when the steve jackson bookgames started going off the rails in vol. 3 /4 -- things are so delightfully weird right now, Im lovin it

sstacks

Arcane
idk why anyone would want to live in a world where you wouldn't play both Aod / Underrail, there were two GOTYs in one year and then some nerds somehow made that into a slappy fight??

Nerd fighting is as much a part of being a nerd as the things we are nerdy about :P

Jazz_

Arcane
There is no reason to fight when AoD is clearly better than rat killing simulator with MMO mechanics (still better than 95% other recent RPGs though).

You have to kill rats only for the first quests in the caves outside SGS, after that you can avoid them with stealth and later on with rathound king armor, also they are so weak that you can one-shot them after the first few levels. The game is absolutely focused on combat but saying that it's a rat killing simulator is plain bullshit.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hope you all loved Lightning Returns. :shittydog:

LR probably gets least votes.

Too bad this game is from 2008
22365_n20080123_pp_12.jpg

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I had mixed feelings about Eternal Poison. The game is definitely fun, weakness system, monster recruiting and sacrifices, various characters, skill and equipement system are all good and I thought the stories were also surprisingly pleasant.
However I thought it also had some real flaws.
The maps are very similar (monster weaknesses aside) without significatively different layouts, placements of enemies or number of enemies.
I also thought the XP system (you gain a lot of XPs even when fighting underlevelled monsters, unlike Tactics Ogre : Knights of Lodis for example) doesn't work that well with the need to overkill monsters if you want to recruit them. Without forcing myself otherwise (what I did in my second playthrough, where I didn't care too much about recruiting monsters) I naturally got two utter-strong characters (once again because of the need to overkill, in another game without overkill I always try to use the more characters I can).
Basically I liked it but thought it could have been even better.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Don't get the hardon for Invisible Inc. The gameplay is basically cartoonish, cheesy Shadowrun thrown in a blender and then pissed on. It is extremely banal, repetitive, and could be used as a sleeping pill or a torture method in a Eastern Bloc nation. This is supposed to be RPGCodex; but Invisible Inc has none of the elements of a good RPG or a good game (since it isn't really an RPG by any reasonable definition of the term. I played it for 5 hours and came out afterwards feeling like I had just been involved in a car accident; unique does not mean good. Most of the indie experiments of the last few years (across all genres) have been unqualified disasters.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Don't get the hardon for Invisible Inc. The gameplay is basically cartoonish, cheesy Shadowrun thrown in a blender and then pissed on. It is extremely banal, repetitive, and could be used as a sleeping pill or a torture method in a Eastern Bloc nation. This is supposed to be RPGCodex; but Invisible Inc has none of the elements of a good RPG or a good game (since it isn't really an RPG by any reasonable definition of the term. I played it for 5 hours and came out afterwards feeling like I had just been involved in a car accident; unique does not mean good. Most of the indie experiments of the last few years (across all genres) have been unqualified disasters.

try harder

Pentagon

Educated
I enjoyed it because it was fun playing a roguelike where it didn't feel like I could only succeed if I got lucky with items. I was surprised to see it on this list though since I had always considered it a stealth roguelike rather than a RPG.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I had mixed feelings about Eternal Poison. The game is definitely fun, weakness system, monster recruiting and sacrifices, various characters, skill and equipement system are all good and I thought the stories were also surprisingly pleasant.
However I thought it also had some real flaws.
The maps are very similar (monster weaknesses aside) without significatively different layouts, placements of enemies or number of enemies.
I also thought the XP system (you gain a lot of XPs even when fighting underlevelled monsters, unlike Tactics Ogre : Knights of Lodis for example) doesn't work that well with the need to overkill monsters if you want to recruit them. Without forcing myself otherwise (what I did in my second playthrough, where I didn't care too much about recruiting monsters) I naturally got two utter-strong characters (once again because of the need to overkill, in another game without overkill I always try to use the more characters I can).
Basically I liked it but thought it could have been even better.
Wrong thread?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
It plays nothing like Shadowrun. It's a stealth roguelike.
I mean the actual gameplay, not what kind of larping you do when playing it. It's pretty much the same (go in, get macguffin, get out) but 500 times worse.
I enjoyed it because it was fun playing a roguelike where it didn't feel like I could only succeed if I got lucky with items. I was surprised to see it on this list though since I had always considered it a stealth roguelike rather than a RPG.
Invisible Inc. oesn't appeal to me, but I agree; it is not an rpg by any means. The progression system is threadbare and there is little meaningful C&C,

B0rt

Novice
CoQ is in early access, so it's not a 2016 release. I don't thinka there are any other EA titles amongst the nominees either.

Oh that makes sense, fair enough. I just got used to thinking of Qud as one of those "good to play now but in dev forever" type games. It'll get on that list in a couple of years then... so I guess the reward for keeping reg'd on here until 2032 is I'll finally be able to give Dwarf Fortress a "4".

MrMarbles

Cipher
I apparently didn't play shit for the last few years.

I just sit here and replay gothic 2 and arcanum over and over.

What the fuck is wrong with me.

obsessive-compulsive disorder
noun
[1.(psychiatry) an anxiety disorder in which patients are driven to repeat the same act, such as washing their hands a diplomatic gnome playthrough, over and over again, usually for many hours.]

That being said, you chose well.

V_K

Arcane
Seems like votings only need to last a week or so... thread gone dead.
Not enough flame material this time, I guess. The games on the list are old enough so that all the major battles about them have been fought, but not old enough for a rematch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom