Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex Certified master pieces of gaming?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Abstract title, but basically: if you were to judge other games as you judge RPGs, and in a vein similar to the Top 70 PC RPGs of all time, what videogames do you believe are a work of art?

I'm talking really, really good games, masterpieces, works of art, hidden gems.

I was thinking along the lines of the Thief series, System Shock, Vagrant Story, and other games you think are really good (RPGs of any kind, western or eastern, excluded).

sullynathan

Arcane
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is a work of art and a masterpiece of the Stealth genre, easily the best stealth game in the last decade. Maybe only Thief is better but I'm only on the 2nd level of that.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Regrettably I have to agree with Jaesun: The conditions and terms set forth by the OP...taint the discussion.

I can easily name a few games that rise above video games in general...but with the OP's limitations, why should I?

Severian Silk

The Codex has a Steam group which makes recommendations FYI. That's how cool we are.

Ivan

Arcane
1. "masterpieces" not "master pieces"
2. list by genre. take a look at the "Codex Comic Book/Graphic Novel" thread for reference

off the top of my head:

Platformer
Mario 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 3D World
Rayman Origins
Donkey Kong Country 1/2/Freeze
Spelunky

TP Action (spectacle fighters/beat-em-ups/shooters)
Devil May Cry 3
God Hand
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne
Resident Evil 2
Dark Souls

Stealth
Mark of the Ninja
Invisible Inc.
Thief 1/2
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Puzzle
Braid
Portal
Talos Principle

FPS
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Doom
Quake
FEAR
STALKER

Adventure
Mother 3
LISA: The Painful
Undertale
Metroid: Zero Mission, Super, Prime: 1+2
Inside
Zelda: OOT

Point N Click
Monkey Island 1/2
Book of Unwritten Tales 2
Machinarium

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
what videogames do you believe are a work of art?

None. They're video games not a fucking Van Gogh painting.

OMG YOU ARE SO FUNNY HAHA XD

kys

1. "masterpieces" not "master pieces"
2. list by genre. take a look at the "Codex Comic Book/Graphic Novel" thread for reference

off the top of my head:

Platformer
Mario 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario 3D World
Rayman Origins
Donkey Kong Country 1/2/Freeze
Spelunky

TP Action (spectacle fighters/beat-em-ups/shooters)
Devil May Cry 3
God Hand
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bayonetta 2
Bloodborne
Resident Evil 2
Dark Souls

Stealth
Mark of the Ninja
Invisible Inc.
Thief 1/2
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Puzzle
Braid
Portal
Talos Principle

FPS
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Doom
Quake
FEAR
STALKER

Adventure
Mother 3
LISA: The Painful
Undertale
Metroid: Zero Mission, Super, Prime: 1+2
Inside
Zelda: OOT

Point N Click
Monkey Island 1/2
Book of Unwritten Tales 2
Machinarium

Thanks bro.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The only game that struck me as a piece of "art" was Planescape Torment due to the philosophy behind the story.

There has yet to be a game yet with gameplay that's "art" worthy and there likely won't ever be one.

Lots of games with great music though.

pippin

Well, all of media has its collection of people who write shit they don't really know. It was bound to happen to videogames, eventually.

rezaf

Cipher
Dwarf Fortress.
It's a live-performance of game programming that's been running for years - what more could you ask for?

Neki

Scholar
Seamen for dreamcast, you can create you own fish guidos and listen to Leonard Nimoy soothing ghost voice.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
There has yet to be a game yet with gameplay that's "art" worthy and there likely won't ever be one
Why not? There are games that have gameplay that would put them at the top of their genre, that should be enough.

Gameplay is typically not compatible with art concepts.

If a game is fun, it's not going to be provoking deep philosophical thoughts.

If the game is provoking deep philosophical thoughts, it's gameplay is usually limited or shit.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dwarf Fortress.
It's a live-performance of game programming that's been running for years - what more could you ask for?
http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/6/5973295/dwarf-fortress-is-changing-how-moma-preserves-art

In 2012 the MOMA added a series of video games to their collection, including Myst, SimCity 2000 and the less succinctly named Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter 2: Dwarf Fortress.

The collection of these and other "born digital" works created multiple philosophical and logistical problems for the museum, issues they are still grappling with today. Polygon talked with MOMA staff to find out how video games are taking their place alongside other mediums of modern art.

---

"I think it's worthwhile to think of Dwarf Fortress in a very different way, because it's almost more like an artist-made game versus a commercial made game."

Another feature piece:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html

24fortress_span-jumbo-v2.jpg

Self-portrait by Tarn Adams, left, using characters from his game. Right, Zach Adams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom