Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Game of the Year 2015 - VOTING HAS BEGUN [AUTISM ALERT]

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It's always the same thing, people have this weird belief that the TR00 CODEX is extremely hardcore and monocled, and only the filth from outside taints it...

Yes, that hope kind of died, when UnderTale was generously reviewed here, and people came out as fans.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I'm not under any delusion that registered Codex users are somehow free of the popamole taint. I just think a poll without some form of verification is too easy to manipulate with a modicum of effort, and we have quite a few obsessives who'd do it just for the sake of it (I have to admit to an urge to have Fallout 4 win just to see the, well, fallout, myself).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think you people underestimate how many alts there are around here. It's much easier to manipulate a small codex-only poll with 100-200 people than a massive one with 1300.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It's always the same thing, people have this weird belief that the TR00 CODEX is extremely hardcore and monocled, and only the filth from outside taints it...
With votes being public we will be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Or are you ashamed of publicly voting on shitty Undertale and want to do this anonymously?

Anyway, what's the point of creating another poll where anyone can vote? There are dozens of such polls and the list looks pretty much the same with Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Pillars of Eternity (plus maybe Undertale) at the top.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
To be fair, last year's anonymous poll had pretty good results, m-value drama notwithstanding. That, however, is no guarantee that the same will happen this year.

Whatever, do as you please felipepepe, and feel free to PM me if you need any help. Even if the results are ridiculous, Codex has survived Dragon Age being 2009 GotY, it will survive PoE or Witcher 3 winning as well.

laclongquan

Arcane
Yeah, this is February already~ The holiday season should be over and people can start seriously playing their purchased games.
felipepepe how about you start that thing soonest? based on last time, it take 3 months to run, which mean we will know the result in May maybe?

laclongquan

Arcane
Hell, three year gap is nothing. Remember:

rpgcodex.png

I tried automatic vote extraction in the Top 72 RPGs vote thread, didn't work at all. There's so many ways to write games like Baldur's Gate II - bg2, BGII, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur Gate 2, etc...

That's actually not that big of a problem. First, a lot of variation can be removed by applying some simple input sanitation - removing anything that's not a letter or number, converting to lowercase, and so on. Then, what you do is, after the voting is closed, you run your script over the results, but have it print out all the unique game identifiers instead of counting votes, and then manually include every option you're missing. It's not that much work to do this, certainly less than inputting votes manually, and you can probably cover more than half of the spectrum through common sense guesses before you even start.

The way I'd normally do this (after input sanitation) is by creating a special spellcheck dictionary with only the game's names as words. If anyone manages to write Undertale in a way that tricks my word processor into thinking they meant Underrail then they can go choke themselves to death on their own tears.

Neanderthal

Arcane
^Its watchin videos like that makes me believe owt could be improved by armoured boot o an Adeptus Astartes smashin through nearest wall, followed by a molten stream of promethium as he burns all involved into ash, while screaming "HERESY" at top o his lungs.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I tried automatic vote extraction in the Top 72 RPGs vote thread, didn't work at all. There's so many ways to write games like Baldur's Gate II - bg2, BGII, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur Gate 2, etc...

That's actually not that big of a problem. First, a lot of variation can be removed by applying some simple input sanitation - removing anything that's not a letter or number, converting to lowercase, and so on. Then, what you do is, after the voting is closed, you run your script over the results, but have it print out all the unique game identifiers instead of counting votes, and then manually include every option you're missing. It's not that much work to do this, certainly less than inputting votes manually, and you can probably cover more than half of the spectrum through common sense guesses before you even start.

The way I'd normally do this (after input sanitation) is by creating a special spellcheck dictionary with only the game's names as words. If anyone manages to write Undertale in a way that tricks my word processor into thinking they meant Underrail then they can go choke themselves to death on their own tears.

Yeah, you can factor edit distance (and now that I think about it, explicit substring matches would likely not throw any false positives either) in, but you still need to manually incorporate acronyms and other specific ways of writing game titles. There's no programmatic way of detecting that Realms of Arkania 2 and Star Trail are the same thing.

hell bovine

Arcane
We'll have to wait until May to disagree which game we should have played last year?
:negative:

(Edit: Then what have we been doing here this past year?!)
Considering we are still waiting for SitS review, I wouldn't be surprised if Fallout 4 both wins the poll and gets a review first.

but you still need to manually incorporate acronyms and other specific ways of writing game titles. There's no programmatic way of detecting that Realms of Arkania 2 and Star Trail are the same thing.

Of course, anything that can't be matched should be flagged and then you can look at the flagged un-matchables, add Star Trail to your dictionary, rerun it, and have a second pass script that simply replaces Star Trail with Realms of Arkania 2

Mortmal

Arcane
By amount of hours played fallout 4 sures deserves the second place after witcher 3 . At release i remember almost everyone, codex group and outside, playing it, and those who doesnt show on steam just torrented it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sorry, yesterday was Carnaval here in HEUHUEland, I got... uh... busy.

Gonna build the poll now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom