Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Retrospective: Roguey dismantles white privilege in Tim Cain's Temple of Elemental Evil

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
crawlkill Roguey's feminist/SJW schtick is just a sideshow. Most people on the Codex realized that long ago and quit responding to it. There aren't even that many comments on that aspect of the article ITT.

FFS people you're making me look bad now

Last edited:
Weasel
Yes, it was looking like the ultra-obvious old bait had been avoided for a change but someone had to go there. Sigh.

ben_reck

Educated
they mysterious Orient... the enigmatic magistrate's daughter... the inscrutable Chinaman... Yes, exotic is a loaded term.

But then I read John Norman as a teenager so I can't be a SJW.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
In this thread :

:butthurt:

You all act like roguey is a troll, not even worth acknowledging. Yet this thread is already 9 pages long and will keep going for a while.

This is just like Project Eternity, Dragon age, Skyrim or Mass Effect. Biggest threads, high activity. At some point it becomes painfully apparent that the codex loves these things and is just pretending it doesn't.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Hardly since everyone seems insistent on calling Roguey a Troll&Bait yet bent on repeating it 10 times to keep the tread on the first page and break a new record.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
But another thing the Codex enjoys is accusing other Codexers of liking things they hate because SO MANY POSTS

Because it's true. It may be a masochistic pleasure but it's a pleasure none of the less. There's more than contempt when it becomes an obsession.

Telengard

Arcane
Hardly since everyone seems insistent on calling Roguey a Troll&Bait yet bent on repeating it 10 times to keep the tread on the first page and break a new record.
THINGS DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD SO FAR
  1. the review (pssh, not much of that)
  2. SJWs
  3. SJW bait
  4. smurfs
  5. a half page (and counting) of your opinion
  6. Roguey is a troll
  7. who is Roguey?
  8. Infinitron's masterful plan for giving Roguey exposure
  9. plant monsters

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
By its very existence, feminism is a sexist term.

Therefore, I create its counter: masculinism.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Why, Zuggtmoy*, of course! The whole basis for the conversation!
i hope you don't work in anything even remotely related to basic biology. if you insist on getting it wrong in the future, at least get it wrong better and claim fungi are animals.

set

Cipher
Responding to Roguey's troll. I can't believe you quoted this raving lunatic:

8GWSTiX.png

1. This statement is just too convoluted to respond to. I'm missing the context.
2. This guy needs a tin foil hat. What does this even mean?
3. Again, out of context. Orcs are traditionally described as brain-dead brutes -- basically, I think it comes from our concept of the Barbarians, which comes from Roman times. The west has probably always had some stigma against them, since they were the ones that "ended western civilization" for some hundreds of years. I honestly don't get the problem here.
4. So what? If you have a smaller brain, you're less intelligent. I do agree, and even recall what this guy's talking about, but the point is to create an interesting game that is balanced. If all races have the same stat potentials, it's less interesting. The end.
5. ??? Talk about a sweeping comment aimed at anything writing anything fantasy-related. Grow up, find a job, and maybe try writing, yourself. Also, stop forcing your opinions on authors - the only way we can progress as a culture is by exploring race and class in our literature; if that means we have to be offensive or brutish in our writing sometimes, so bet it.
6. I can concede that it would be interesting to play a retarded person in a serious way, in an RPG. But, the tone of Fallout (and those other games) really did not allow for this. Get real! You have mutants and aliens and nuclear wars, people who are genuinely uneducated and grow up in the rough wilderness or in "backward times". I think Fallout and other CRPGs in general are very light-hearted with its "low intelligence" options, or at least, of the dark humor variety. This isn't reading rainbow where we need to respect people, it's a space to do fun, stupid shit.
7. You can interpret anything in any way you want. This doesn't mean anything, though I accept it is one interpretation of that quest line. Honestly, you could interpret it to mean people in the city are behaving without morals and are dying of their sexual promuscity with Jezebel. It's somewhat analogus to aids, but there's nothing "queery" about it, considering both men and women are infected by it and it's being spread by more people than Jezebel (other vampires, other humans). It presents the infected in a forgiving, pitiful light, making you sympathetic (usually) to them. So if they are queer, I fail to see how this means we can interpret the quest to be "queer shaming" or whatever buzzword. The only evil person in this questline you kill, besides Brother Kanker, is Jezebel.
8. These people represent the evilness of the city, the decay of morals and the rampant spread of crime. It's late at night, very late, where only the most desperate of people linger. It would have been nice to have a homeless or two be a bit wiser, and I agree that all of them are presented to be dumb and oafish, but the game isn't too focused on the plight of the humans -- infact, I'd argue it's meant to be slanted to let you roleplay one of the vampire races better. Vampires are fighting to keep their humanity, but humans have become twisted and ugly in many ways and it's not exactly intended you sympathize with them. In VTMB, a main conflict as a vampire is remaining human -- but how can you do that when you yourself or humans themselves are depraved? Clearly, the author here doesn't dwell too deeply, or even question their own biases. It does have its moments, there is at least one homeless man who fortells the end of the world - who truly knows what's coming, he seems pretty wise, is batshit crazy.
9. ??? It's "devoid of empathy" if you ignore the quest where you save the Gargoyle, save Heather, aid the tormented Malkavian, defend the neonate vampire popstar. Also, vampires don't have souls, so I fail to see why the game should be about empathy.
10. SJW spergs want every story to cater to social and political biases. They want a gray world where everyone is just like them. They are judgmental, shallow, dim-witted, conservative, and insecure.

There's scarcely any VTMB criticism here. It's not a perfect game, but nothing here even scratches the surface of what's actually wrong with it. What it does do right, it exels at.

All of the female characters in VTMB are extremely empowered. Most of them are untouchable, powerful, and scheming. You can also play as a woman yourself, if you so incline, and be a lesbian queer weirdo to boot.

Telengard

Arcane
Why, Zuggtmoy*, of course! The whole basis for the conversation!
i hope you don't work in anything even remotely related to basic biology. if you insist on getting it wrong in the future, at least get it wrong better and claim fungi are animals.
Come now. I didn't write her. The fact that she's defined as a plant creature is just what she is. EDIT: and an Outsider. Can't forget that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom