Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: ELEX!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh dear, looking at the journal entry comparisons, I only now notice that the quest title is b0rked as well. While "Hauptgang" can certainly mean "main entrance", I would assume in this particular cannibalism-related quest it would rather refer to a "main course"...

hory shit dis translato

imweasel

"Hauptgang" can certainly mean "main entrance"
Not really. "Hauptgang" can mean "main course" (in the context of eating a meal) or "main corridor". "Haupteingang" = "main entrance".

Anyway, the translation is indeed pretty borked.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How is Polish translation though? I remember even Gothic had pretty disappointing English translation, but Polish was great, which is usually the case with German and Russian games.

Trashos

Arcane
Very interesting review.
OK, so I gather that combat is OK enough to be interesting, and exploring is very addictive. I didn't quite get if level progression feels satisfying, but I guess that's because this game needs better documentation badly.

My question is: Does Elex keep one's interest after the first playthrough? In other words, will it make me want to come back for more if I appreciate its good aspects?

Morkar Left

Pretty good review!

I don't agree with the English translation. It's in some ways better written than the original, especially in the beginning. Other parts are weaker (too soft). All in all it's a mixed bag for both versions and mixing both together would be the best outcome. Well, at least there is a reason to play the game a second time (which I rarely do with games).
The English voice actors aren't bad. They are routinely good. The problem is that most voices don't fit the chars ingame. The German voice actors are a better fit there.

I absolutely enjoy the game despite its weaknesses (which are perfectly described by Darth Roxor ) and it's easily one of the best games I played in years! Overall, A patch IS badly needed to balance the game, tweak some stats and include a good descrition in the game how the stats and everyting works. Unfortunately PB is always very hesitant to fix gameplay issues which aren't heavy bugs. I hope they go the extra mile here. It would really pay of for the game and I think for PB, too. Right now it's a diamond in rough. Properly balanced and game mechanics explained I'm sure the game could become a classic.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
My question is: Does Elex keep one's interest after the first playthrough? In other words, will it make me want to come back for more if I appreciate its good aspects?

Hm, would say no. I originally intended to restart the gaem and play for like 20h with another faction and weapon set, but the first playthrough has left me exhausted. Maybe I've just overdosed the ELEX though.

I didn't quite get if level progression feels satisfying

It does.

Falksi

Arcane
Serious question here. Why doesn't the Codex start up a Youtube channel to drown out shite like IGN?

The whole scene is in dire fucking need of a kick up the shitbox, and who better to drive that hate-fueled rebellion than the twisted beings of the Codex?

The mainstream needs raping hard like a slag with no morals, so she comes to destest what pleasured her before so much that her new found truth is filled only with purity and quality such as Elex.

Burn the fuckers to the ground with extreme prejudice.

hello friend

Arcane
Serious question here. Why doesn't the Codex start up a Youtube channel to drown out shite like IGN?

The whole scene is in dire fucking need of a kick up the shitbox, and who better to drive that hate-fueled rebellion than the twisted beings of the Codex?

The mainstream needs raping hard like a slag with no morals, so she comes to destest what pleasured her before so much that her new found truth is filled only with purity and quality such as Elex.

If you want it done why don't you do it?

Falksi

Arcane

If you want it done why don't you do it?

Sadly, I'm a technospaz. In truth I'd thrive on doing one, but wouldn't know where to start. I will be getting an upgraded PC after Xmas, so at least that may help. We'll see.

I'd also like the key aim to be to have a collective of like-minded folk pool talents & work as a team, with the ultimate goal being to smash the AAA scene in the nackers, bring some truth to the masses, help fight the cause of the indie devs & firms such as PB & Spiders, and generally kick some fucking dust up for the more Codexian POV on games.

I've just got to a point where I'm so sick of seeing fucktards rape a hobby I thrive on with Ass Creeds, "Open World" wank done badly, RPG's with no roleplaying etc. Be nice to see a fightback from somewhere.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter
Since I'm not visiting Elex thread, can I ask here - where can I find Slugebeasts, those with wings, need them for crafting.
Have found 5 of them in Edan, need another 3.
Also, I have 189 hours in Elex, explored only 90% of Edan and Abessa combined, didn't visit Dome Sity yet.
other moster drop wings

Baron Dupek

Arcane
How is Polish translation though? I remember even Gothic had pretty disappointing English translation, but Polish was great, which is usually the case with German and Russian games.
All other translations are based on English version.
Just look at this shit.
563224951_635.jpg
here is proper potato translation
[Dlaczego akurat Klerycy?]
[Są prawdziwymi hipokrytami Magalanu]
[Ich największym atutem jest infiltracja. Działają za twoimi plecami i zabiją cię zanim TY zareagujesz]
[Deklarują swoją fałszywą wiarę i zachowują się jak tyrani]
[Są znacznie niebezpieczniejsi niż Alby]
With this translation Logan sounds like confused in his conspiracy theories madman or edgy teen.

Last edited:

Elex

Arbiter

look!

I first heard of Elex on online forums, where players were both raving about it while also, confusingly, listing a ton of issues with the game. It’s an extremely difficult game with terrible combat, they’d say. The world seems to be kept together by glue, they’d say. It’s also one of the best RPGs of the year, they’d say. It’s made by the creators of Gothic, they’d say. It combines sci-fi and fantasy, they’d say. Curiosity got the better of me here: this sounds like an awful game, I thought, but folks still love it? How could that be?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Hard to drown out low quality, since quality takes time.

At least one codexer has a youtube channel though (Ludo Lense) and it is quite good.

Falksi

Arcane

look!

I first heard of Elex on online forums, where players were both raving about it while also, confusingly, listing a ton of issues with the game. It’s an extremely difficult game with terrible combat, they’d say. The world seems to be kept together by glue, they’d say. It’s also one of the best RPGs of the year, they’d say. It’s made by the creators of Gothic, they’d say. It combines sci-fi and fantasy, they’d say. Curiosity got the better of me here: this sounds like an awful game, I thought, but folks still love it? How could that be?

Zactly!

Most reviewers, especially IGN & Gamespot etc., don't actually know how to review. They judge on individual aspects of games, and pay little attention to the whole package, and most importantly how is translates both emotionally and as an overall experience.

Kudos for Pat of Kotaku for attempting to address that. But even then she does break down specifics and seems to feel the need to label things into the conventionl brackets which people expect. But that's neither here nor there, at least someone actually gets what it's about.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Were you maybe playing it that first week before they patched Elex potions? Initially they did not increase your cold, at least for the first few days. So there were probably sixty or seventy potions I used in that period that didn’t even end up counting in my cold score.

No, I didn't start the game but after the second week. I drank less than a hundred Elex potions, so I assume the few emotional choices I picked kept me within the neutral threshold; until I started to progress through chapters, where I was systematically taking cold dialogue choices. Jax then reached unenthusiastic state and I noticed companions reacted to it, But nothing else besides unlocking the synth passive ability and some cold dialogue options.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All other translations are based on English version.
Just look at this shit.
here is proper potato translation
[Dlaczego akurat Klerycy?]
[Są prawdziwymi hipokrytami Magalanu]
[Ich największym atutem jest infiltracja. Działają za twoimi plecami i zabiją cię zanim TY zareagujesz]
[Deklarują swoją fałszywą wiarę i zachowują się jak tyrani]
[Są znacznie niebezpieczniejsi niż Alby]
With this translation Logan sounds like confused in his conspiracy theories madman or edgy teen.
:creamyblood::creamyblood:

why the fuck didn't they translate the German version?!

Elex

Arbiter
Were you maybe playing it that first week before they patched Elex potions? Initially they did not increase your cold, at least for the first few days. So there were probably sixty or seventy potions I used in that period that didn’t even end up counting in my cold score.

No, I didn't start the game but after the second week. I drank less than a hundred Elex potions, so I assume the few emotional choices I picked kept me within the neutral threshold; until I started to progress through chapters, where I was systematically taking cold dialogue choices. Jax then reached unenthusiastic state and I noticed companions reacted to it, But nothing else besides unlocking the synth passive ability and some cold dialogue options.
dialogue option compensate any elex potion use.
even first week was only invisible.

also pure elex use increase cold, but mana consume don’t decresse it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom